Jewelry box with watch storage?

Hi!

Before I start to look what I can recommend, I have a question or two:

1) Do you need/want an actual watch roll = enclosed capsule that is placed inside the jewelry box and can be taken out/used on its own. Or do you just want, literally, a removable padded roll that 3 to 4 watches can sit on, inside that jewelry box?

2) Are you looking for a portable (travel/ bank/ (...) ) solution, or solely desktop?

3) Wood? Leather? Synthetic leather?

Kind regards,
Oliver

• Love
Reactions: 880 and Christofle
I have an older Wempe. it’s a reasonably good sized jewelry box with a watch roll (I can squeeze three large watches on it, so long as I stagger the dials.

There is also a deep well and a large rectangular open space for more stuff and a lower drawer with partitions

Hi! I second Wolf jewelry boxes, and those are all I use. One key reason why I use Wolf is because they have the patented LusterLoc lining for tarnishing protection. My favorite box is the Caroline in Large Jewelry case, and it will fit watches in the pull out drawers. I wear chunky men's watches (think Rolex Daytona 40mm chunky), and they fit fine. The quilted leather on the Caroline jewelry is gorgeous.
Caroline Large Jewelry Case | WOLF | WOLF (wolf1834.com)

I also use the Vault Tray system to put in my top drawer (I have those built-in dresser drawers inside a closet). They work out great.
Jewelry Trays & Stackable Jewelry Storage | WOLF (wolf1834.com)

Smythson is also a good brand to look at. The quality is great, but I find them not feminine enough, so I got rid of mine. I love staring at my bling, all nicely organized, in a nice feminine girly girl jewelry case. The Wolf Caroline Large I posted above is the winner for me, and it comes in various sizes. Here is the link to Smythson boxes:
Jewellery Boxes and Rolls | Smythson

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: youngster and 880
Hi! I second Wolf jewelry boxes, and those are all I use. One key reason why I use Wolf is because they have the patented LusterLoc lining for tarnishing protection. My favorite box is the Caroline in Large Jewelry case, and it will fit watches in the pull out drawers. I wear chunky men's watches (think Rolex Daytona 40mm chunky), and they fit fine. The quilted leather on the Caroline jewelry is gorgeous.
Caroline Large Jewelry Case | WOLF | WOLF (wolf1834.com)

I also use the Vault Tray system to put in my top drawer (I have those built-in dresser drawers inside a closet). They work out great.
Jewelry Trays & Stackable Jewelry Storage | WOLF (wolf1834.com)

Smythson is also a good brand to look at. The quality is great, but I find them not feminine enough, so I got rid of mine. I love staring at my bling, all nicely organized, in a nice feminine girly girl jewelry case. The Wolf Caroline Large I posted above is the winner for me, and it comes in various sizes. Here is the link to Smythson boxes:
Jewellery Boxes and Rolls | Smythson
Thank you for the wolf recommendation. DH just ordered one. And, I am interested in the vault tray system.

Last edited:
Thank you for the wolf recommendation. DH just ordered one. And, I am interested in the vault tray system.

I ended up buying a Wolf jewelry box and a travel jewelry case too over Christmas. I really like mine and it's helped me organize everything so that I can see what I have. I did buy a large box that fits easily in our safe too, so that's where it lives lol. It's so pretty though that I wish I could keep it out. I also ended up buying a few things during their black Friday sales event as gifts and the recipients all really loved them.

I looked seriously at the vault tray system. I like it a lot, I love that you can mix and match based on what you own and customize it. I could use it in the drawers in my closet for sure but I keep everything in the safe so one box is easier to put in and take out.

• Love
Reactions: 880 and BigAkoya
What did you get? I love jewelry boxes and am always looking for a reason to buy more. I'd love to know what you purchased! The vault trays are awesome. I put them in my top drawer in my closet which is a shallow drawer.

I ended up buying a Wolf jewelry box and a travel jewelry case too over Christmas. I really like mine and it's helped me organize everything so that I can see what I have. I did buy a large box that fits easily in our safe too, so that's where it lives lol. It's so pretty though that I wish I could keep it out. I also ended up buying a few things during their black Friday sales event as gifts and the recipients all really loved them.

I looked seriously at the vault tray system. I like it a lot, I love that you can mix and match based on what you own and customize it. I could use it in the drawers in my closet for sure but I keep everything in the safe so one box is easier to put in and take out.
Nice! Please share what you purchased! Which travel case did you buy? I travel often (pre-COVID) and am always interested in anything travel-size related.

Nice! Please share what you purchased! Which travel case did you buy? I travel often (pre-COVID) and am always interested in anything travel-size related.

The large jewelry box that I bought came with a little case in the bottom drawer that you can pull out and use for travel. I liked that option for when I need a very small one. It has a few ring rolls and 4 little compartments and is hard sided, like a little box, not a jewelry roll, which I prefer. I'm not completely convinced that jewelry rolls or zip jewelry "wallets" will adequately protect pieces. I don't want pieces even possibly rubbing up against one another or pieces being crushed against one another.
Anyway, since the one that came with my large jewelry box is small, I also bought a larger one. :angel: I like options! This one is fairly large too. It's this one, the Wolf Blossom zip case. I think this was from a retro 70's line they did and it was 70% off during Black Friday so it was around $46. It has that LusterLoc interior which the pouches are made of as well. I like that the zip pouches can be removed entirely if you don't need them or could be re-purposed for DH's items. The pouches also serve as a cushioned barrier between the storage for necklaces in the base and the items stored in the lid (the ring roll and the earring bar). I like that the exterior is basically white so I can see it easily in my carry on and that it is hard sided. The little flowers remind me of 70's flower power and some cute accessories that I had as a little girl!

Wolf Blossom Travel Jewelry Case.jpg

Wolf Blossom Travel Jewelry Case II.jpg

Reactions: BigAkoya
When i mentioned jewelry "wallets", this is what I was thinking of . . .this is the Caroline zip case. I love the pretty quilting on it, it's very thin, very practical to fit in a carry on but I worry about things being crushed up against each other and then you add in books, lap tops, phone, phone charger, all the other items that you bring on a plane and I'm concerned that pieces could be damaged.

Wolf Caroline Jewelry Zip Case.jpg

Wolf Caroline Jewelry Zip Case II.jpg

When i mentioned jewelry "wallets", this is what I was thinking of . . .this is the Caroline zip case. I love the pretty quilting on it, it's very thin, very practical to fit in a carry on but I worry about things being crushed up against each other and then you add in books, lap tops, phone, phone charger, all the other items that you bring on a plane and I'm concerned that pieces could be damaged.

View attachment 4967507

View attachment 4967510
Hi! I agree with you... I had the Caroline Zip case and it's worthless! It's too thin to store anything because once you start zipping it up, I feel like I'm just squishing everything. I gave mine to a friend. I love the Caroline collection, in the light pink... I love love love that pink quilting for some reason.... it's so gentle and calm. Anyway, I have the large Caroline jewelry box and like the little hard travel case, probably similar to the little on you have. It's super cute too. I need something larger to store pearls as I wear long strands of pearls often. I like your Blossom Travel Zip case because you can remove the pouches, and it's deep enough for pearls. It looks big though. I also see a similar shape in Maria, so I may have to check that out. The Blossom flowers is so groovy! I was also looking at this Maria cube too.. it's like one big hole which is kind of nice especially for long pearls which can get thick when they are bunched up: Maria Zip Jewelry Cube | WOLF (wolf1834.com)

Reactions: youngster
Hi! I agree with you... I had the Caroline Zip case and it's worthless! It's too thin to store anything because once you start zipping it up, I feel like I'm just squishing everything. I gave mine to a friend. I love the Caroline collection, in the light pink... I love love love that pink quilting for some reason.... it's so gentle and calm. Anyway, I have the large Caroline jewelry box and like the little hard travel case, probably similar to the little on you have. It's super cute too. I need something larger to store pearls as I wear long strands of pearls often. I like your Blossom Travel Zip case because you can remove the pouches, and it's deep enough for pearls. It looks big though. I also see a similar shape in Maria, so I may have to check that out. The Blossom flowers is so groovy! I was also looking at this Maria cube too.. it's like one big hole which is kind of nice especially for long pearls which can get thick when they are bunched up: Maria Zip Jewelry Cube | WOLF (wolf1834.com)

Oh, good to know about the Caroline and those thin wallet type cases. That's what I thought would happen, that it would all be crushed together. I also love that light pink of the Caroline collection, so pretty and feminine.

The Blossom travel case that I have is large, it's 8" x 6" x 2.25", so it's substantial but I felt it would protect some of my larger necklaces and watches and I could use it for items of DH's or even toss in passports and extra currency before locking it all up in a hotel safe. I do like that Maria zip cube though. All those pockets fold on top of one another and then get zipped up tight. So, looks like it would do a good job of protecting your pieces and it's just 4.5 x 4.5" x 3.75".

ETA: The Maria medium zip case looks very similar in size to my Blossom case and the Maria small zip case is a bit smaller than the Maria zip cube. I did look at the Maria collection but decided on the Blossom, because of those groovy flowers lol, and because the sale price was so tempting.

What did you get? I love jewelry boxes and am always looking for a reason to buy more. I'd love to know what you purchased! The vault trays are awesome. I put them in my top drawer in my closet which is a shallow drawer.
DH said he got the 10 watch one. I haven’t bought any yet bc in my current apt, I haven’t decided which drawers to stack. we’re also in the process of designing a new dressing room for a second apartment (but it’s a gut renovation so won’t be ready for another year). I’m just in the looking stage. :biggrin:
I also adore the Smythson bc it’s relatively gender neutral lol. I will update this post when I decide what to get. Mainly I need organization for oversized necklaces, oversized sunglasses etc. . .

The Smythson boxes look beautiful. I'll have to investigate these further. We are likely going to remodel our master bedroom/bath in a year or two and I'd love to design some secure jewelry storage.

On another note, I wish more jewelry box makers would include little drawstring pouches that fit perfectly inside the slots in travel jewelry cases. Does that make sense? I always look at those little slots and think, OK, there is a lid to keep items contained but what if your little travel box got flipped upside down or twisted to the side at some point? That would happen to me, nothing stays exactly in the same position in my carry on or personal item after I've been on a plane and I've rifled through it a couple of times.

This thread is so fun and really up my ally as I looked into safes also! Some of my thoughts to share on jewelry boxes and safes:

@880 Smythson is great and men love them! My husband thought it was so manly, but I found it too manly, and I wanted something more pretty on my side of the closet!. :biggrin:
The main reason though for getting rid of my Smythson is the lack of ring slots. TIP: Pay attention to how the sections are laid out when selecting a jewelry box and make sure the pullout trays will fit all the pieces you have in mind. Rings are my thing, and I like bold rings that sit high. I like to put them in ring slots so I can see them, vs. laying them on its side.

With the Smythson (I had the Panama 3 Drawer Jewellery Box in black | Smythson )
there are no ring holder slots which really annoyed me, so I had to lay my rings flat. The Caroline is perfect for me as you get two long ring rows. The ring holder rows are at the top which has a lot of room for taller rings, vs. sometimes the ring row is in a center tray. This is something to think about if you do a lot of rings. So now I have the large Caroline in pink sitting on top of the built-in dresser. Then in the dresser, the first drawer is a shallow drawer where I use the Wolf trays with lids. It works great for me, so something to think about it. The trays are really great as you can choose the insert you want for rings, bracelets, necklaces, and even depth of the tray.

@youngster On little pouches, I know exactly what you mean! And yes... it is a annoying! When I travel, I put my little jewelry travel case in my carry on, and it gets banged around, so I know my jewelry bangs inside the case. I sometimes use the little felt jewelry pouches, but those get bulky too. So now, most of the time, I just wrap the piece in tissue paper to fill in any air gaps or cushion the tossing around. I do put my long necklaces/pearl strands in a pouch though as they fall out of the tissue paper easily.

Jewelry safes! About 5 years ago, I thought I wanted to get a jewelry safe built into my closet. After much research, I decided on Brown Safe. They are a great company and provide safes for the US Embassy and have a 50 year guarantee. I thought I wanted the Mini Gem Personal Safe | Brown Safe Mfg My husband then says, if we are going to go through all the effort to install a safe, get a bigger one so we don't run out of space later and have to do this again. Okay, he has a point. I then decided on the next size up which is the Gem Model 2418 Jewelry Safe for Home | Brown Safe Mfg

Brown Safe was great, and they said they would come in and install everything. You can also customize your safe, a great company really. In the end, I decided against a safe. Why? Because honestly, I felt it would be a hassle to keep my jewelry inside the safe and have to open it every day. I wear bling daily, and every morning I put bling on, then at night, I take all of it off (I do not wear bling to sleep). And sometimes, I just like to open my jewelry box and stare at my bling, dreaming of my next piece....I like to enjoy that moment. With the safe, I felt it would feel so utilitarian. Plus, we have never been robbed (knock on wood), and I felt I was creating a scenario that might turn putting on jewelry into a hassle vs. a joy. I hope that made sense.

Since we are talking safes... now I think I may need to revisit a jewelry safe and deal with the added effort. Maybe I went overboard with selecting a Brown Safe and there is a happy medium between a simple jewelry box and a Brown Safe.

I would love to hear your thoughts on safes.