Item coming to US from Asia - is DHL or EMS or another service better?

vagabag

O.G.
Dec 31, 2006
Hi Everyone, I hope you can give me some advice. A relative is sending me a bag from asia to the US and i would like to minimize the extra fees and taxes incurred. Is there a difference between EMS and DHL when it comes to the extra costs? Which would you prefer? Thanks!!

Shouldn't be any difference in terms of customs charges at the recipient's end, but DHL is generally available in larger cities, whereas EMS is usually tied to the national postal service so it's more widely available, even in smaller and more rural areas in Asia. DHL is generally more expensive but faster than EMS.

I purchased quite a bit from Japanese resellers during Covid, and I would advise budgeting for customs and state tax. It seemed as though customs held a number of packages in order to assess charges. My recollection was 10% customs (first 800 USD wss free plus state sales tax). But, of course, please check to make sure.

I recall being charged approx 660usd customs on a 6600 purchase from Japan. But on another 4K purchase (from Japan) nothing. (The first was a bag ; the second was a Black box kelly longue wallet. Both fully declared values on the commercial invoice; and both sent via DHL.

In the grand scheme, better to budget for it. You can always be pleasantly surprised if it is not charged. I don’t know what the penalty is for the sender if the item is not declared properly, but Japanese resellers usually refuse to state anything but actual value.

Note re gifts: Gifts sent from business to business in excess of $800.00, sent via commercial courier or carrier will require an entry, payment of relevant duties, taxes and fees. Gifts worth up to $100 may be sent free of duty and tax, to friends and relatives in the US.

Last edited:
Just because of the type of item your relative is sending... I'd get it sent DHL, even though it will be the more expensive option (in most cases). I can get items from Japan to the US East Coast in 2-3 days. They require a signature unless you sign for it online. It's super easy to change delivery date if needed, too.

EMS is a bit slower (I believe 5-10 days if they're not backed up) and typically gets delivered to final destination by USPS. I've had packages lost in transit for weeks, packaging/item arrive damaged, mis-delivered, and even a signature being required just for the postman to forge it. I think for items that are under $500 USPS is fine but for anything more valuable I'd definitely go DHL.

• Insightful
Reactions: 880 and vagabag
Thank you all so much for the helpful feedback! Hopefully, I'll have a pleasant surprise and not be slapped with too high of a bill. So, it sounds like even with EMS, there is state sales tax on top, correct? I thought it might just be for DHL.

Thank you all so much for the helpful feedback! Hopefully, I'll have a pleasant surprise and not be slapped with too high of a bill. So, it sounds like even with EMS, there is state sales tax on top, correct? I thought it might just be for DHL.
Can you share with us how your transaction went? DHL fees?