Is there a way to have customs charge refunded?

When we set up corporate accounts with DHL or Fedex, there is an option to make the courier company our "agent", meaning they would pay customs duties and tax on our behalf, and then recover the money from us plus charge a service or handling fee. Perhaps in a previous transaction, you ticked a box or answered Yes when asked if you wanted to appoint them as agents to arrange to clear your shipment through customs.
It is certainly possible that there was some fine print if it was very extensive, but I did not check any box regarding authorizing payments or customs shipments. Mine is not a business or corporate account, just a member number basically so that I can give my number instead of my name, address, phone number, cc info every time I ship something. Retail operations have still not returned to normal here (Seattle), so FedEx still operates under reduced pandemic hours and with too few staff members, so any time I go, I wait in line for at least 30 minutes to ship, so they suggest the personal FedEx account to all customers as a way to save time (for them as well I assume). The interesting thing about the corporate account is that while FedEx said once they make the customs payment it is not refundable, I had a similar experience with UPS. UPS was actually more helpful and responded to my email after about a week with an explanation and links/website for their customs refund (they call it “retrieval” I believe) partner company. In the case of UPS and a Customs refund, they have a program in place for it through this partner company, but it is only suggested for businesses that pay over $100,000 annually in customs fees. Generally this is for manufacturing, where parts are imported and then a finished product is exported, according to the information on the website. They have a tool to calculate whether it is worthwhile to file for a customs refund, but they say plainly that it is not worth the fees to file for the refund unless annual customs fees are at that level.

Reactions: AnaBeavTheOG