Is there a bag Hierarchy???

I know this could sound pathetic I guess but for the first one it’s more of a status I mean in my opinion they are kind of a status bag

If status is a thing, do not only go for the brands that are already mentioned but also go for the most exotic leather. Things like snakeskin, alligator. lizzard or ostrich.

If you are wearing a bag to show off, your bag does not need to be a workhorse so you can go for the more delicate leathers.

You can also look at heritage. If a brand is already known for years and years, it will probably not go anywhere soon.

Please don’t apologize or demean yourself. You asked a fair question. I think poopsie‘s response was irrelevant. I agree with sparkletastic that if most were honest and self aware they’d admit that status was part of their motivation in buying luxury bags. You shouldn’t be shamed on this forum especially! There are enough haters IRL.

To answer your question, aside from Hermes, this is my list:
1) Chanel (as much as people complain about price increases And decrease in quality, they keep purchasing these overpriced but beautiful bags— including myself!)
2) Dior (most notably the lady dior bag—high quality and great customer service seem to be why)
3)Goyard (an elusive brand with loads of “chicness”)
4)Fendi (esp the peekaboo and baguette but overall it’s a sexy luxury brand imo...at least until it becomes over saturated like LV canvas bags and Gucci bags)
5) I have to say LV... not for me but it seems the rest of the world loves their canvas bags. personally, I think their leather bags dont seem timeless enough, and all of their bags kind of look the same to me... but hey...to each their own.

hope this helps!
I think you can disagree with another member w/o calling her post irrelelevant

I think you can disagree with another member w/o calling her post irrelelevant
honey, I disagree with YOU. Her(poopsie’s) post was irrelevant to what soxcoco7, the thread starter, was asking...so I called her out. She did not answer the question nor was she expressing an opinion which I “disagreed” with. I did not like that poopsie was questioning soxcoco7’s question. If I don’t like a question that is posted then I simply don’t answer. No need to imply that the question shouldn’t be asked or doesn’t matter. Hope this helps!

Reactions: vuittonprincess
honey, I disagree with YOU. Her(poopsie’s) post was irrelevant to what soxcoco7, the thread starter, was asking...so I called her out. She did not answer the question nor was she expressing an opinion which I “disagreed” with. I did not like that poopsie was questioning soxcoco7’s question. If I don’t like a question that is posted then I simply don’t answer. No need to imply that the question shouldn’t be asked or doesn’t matter. Hope this helps!
Honey? I'm not going to engage with you any further except to say we're not supposed to get personal with other posters

Reactions: m_ichele and JenJBS

Interesting how we all interpret things. I read poopsie as asking for clarity. As in, was the OP looking for a ranking of the bags by “status” or by their return value (investment). Two very different things that would return different answers.

I wouldn’t buy for investment, especially if you are just starting out. Too risky. If status is your motivation, then I think that is a regional thing. But I say let your wife pick what she loves. It will be invaluable then.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jktgal and JenJBS
Interesting how we all interpret things. I read poopsie as asking for clarity. As in, was the OP looking for a ranking of the bags by “status” or by their return value (investment). Two very different things that would return different answers.

I wouldn’t buy for investment, especially if you are just starting out. Too risky. If status is your motivation, then I think that is a regional thing. But I say let your wife pick what she loves. It will be invaluable then.

Agreed. I also read Poopsie's question as asking for clarification.

Reactions: Sunshine mama
Hermes are at the top imho. Birkins, Kelly’s and constance. Older models, Kelly’s in particular can be picked up relatively cheaply compared to new. Super mini bags are all the rage, but if you stick with mid size bags, 30 Birkin or 28 or 32 kelly they are always cool regardless of small/big bag trends. Chanel is a close second. I’ve sold all mine, but some people love them. I’d go with a classic 2.55 style in chanel. Some other models are really popular then go out of fashion quickly. I’ve stopped buying Louis Vuitton as their leather bags are high fashion but expensive and I tire of them quickly. But their classic bags of speedy, neverful and Alma are always desirable and don’t date. They can be picked up for a good price on the resale market, but watch out for the fakes

Just happened upon this thread and read with interest. It’s difficult to rank my bags as each has a special place in my heart. My bags are with me to serve a purpose while I’m busy living life with family and friends, and as love and memories become associated with each bag they gradually become become ‘real’ like the Velveteen Rabbit. For me trying to rank them would be like asking a dog owner which dog they love more, their $4000 Golden Doodle or their rescue dog from the shelter.

I have an eclectic collection ranging price-wise from Chanel, Dior, Ferragamo, Tods, Celine, Givenchy, LV (NOT logo), Mulberry, Longchamp, Tory Burch, Kate Spade, and MK bags (NOT the logo bags)—that seem to never receive accolades from anyone, as well as unbranded bags. I enjoy each one for it’s own purpose.

Though I’ve been fortunate to collect some lovely designer bags I still have love for my minimally branded small sized Tory Burch, Kate Spade, & MK crossbody bags. I carry them when I fear my higher end bags will be damaged (rainy days, going to the cinema where buttery popcorn may fall on them, etc...) During the pandemic I exclusively carried (and am still carrying) my black MK crossbody, wipe it down with disinfectant after each use, and it still looks good as new. I carry Longchamp totes when doing volunteer work or traveling because they’re simple and unpretentious. I have this amazing unbranded straw tote that goes to the farmers market, beach, and on cruises with me. My Disney World bag for the last 15 years has been a $10.00 Walmart black canvas mini backpack with a Clemson Tiger paw on it, which probably looks tacky to the masses of people carrying LV monogram bags, but I love Tiger Paw and every wonderful memory associated with him. I won’t even attempt to justify my love for a certain lavender and yellow Sponge Bob backpack filled with travel games (that achieved an unprecedented level of infamy in my family) that sadly finally gave up the ghost, but Sponge Bobbie was definitely REAL. For going to dinner, a concert, the theater, weddings, events, lunch/shopping, I choose a high end bag, some of them aren’t real yet.

Since my hierarchy is based on the happy memories my bags carry with them, they all come out as equally valued. If I had to base it on cost then my list would be in the order I listed above, but that’s not how I value them. I guess I’m odd in my approach to bags. Our last Disney trip was January 2020 just before the pandemic, which seems like a lifetime ago. I need to go check on Tiger Paw...

Last edited:
If I had to rank my personal bag collection, it would be Bottega>Moynat>Chanel. My Bottegas are under the radar where I live, which is in a small town where it seems only chanel and LV are recognized as luxury brands. It's like wearing La Perla bras... no one knows you're wearing it but it makes you feel good.
I don't wear my bags for attention or status. I don't need to prove myself to anyone and I wear what I like.
A few weeks ago, I was carrying a 15 year old nine west baguette bag. Maintenance free, can't destroy it, no one wants to steal it :lol:

If I had to rank my personal bag collection, it would be Bottega>Moynat>Chanel. My Bottegas are under the radar where I live, which is in a small town where it seems only chanel and LV are recognized as luxury brands. It's like wearing La Perla bras... no one knows you're wearing it but it makes you feel good.
I don't wear my bags for attention or status. I don't need to prove myself to anyone and I wear what I like.
A few weeks ago, I was carrying a 15 year old nine west baguette bag. Maintenance free, can't destroy it, no one wants to steal it :lol:

Great attitude! :tup:

Reactions: LeilaCreates