Is there a bag Hierarchy???

Preach! This needs to be printed with your name on it :smile:

Thanks. :smile:
I think a French company, called Hype Means Nothing, beat me to it. They have a line of shirts, printed with celebrities--each one is making funny eyeglasses with his/her hands.
Here's Jay Z: http://hmn.ishopmark.fr/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/jay-z_21-150x150.png

I personally encourage people to buy bags they love regardless of "hierarchy" or trying to have a coveted bag. I've known people who've bought handbags that they clearly didn't like because they were the more popular brand and style than the one they actually did like. That doesn't make much sense to me. Make sure you're happy with the purchase first because buyers remorse is terrible! (Although you can always resell) That's just my 2 cents. :smile:

Reactions: Sparkletastic
I buy what I love and at the same time I can't deny there is hierarchy in bags. So here's my opinion.

1- Hermes
2- Chanel
3- LV (their expensive range can b really $$$!)
4- Dior
5- Celine
6- Bottega Vanetta
7- Loewe

Other brands r most or less similar IMO

Not to sound spiteful or even haughty, I find almost everybody on this forum are absolutely ignorant & given in to peer pressure. Why else would Brands like:
Tod's
Salvatore Ferragamo
Loewe

miss being mentioned. Neither LV nor Chanel can hold candle to the above mentioned brands in the terms of quality of raw material (read: Leather/Raffia etc.) craftsmanship & finish.

Hermes is the only brand from the ones mentioned above by other contributors, and to certain extent Gucci (leather only), Goyard, Velextra & Balenciaga rival the aforementioned brands in teems of overall quality & execution.

Bottega Veneta is one pony trick. Agreed they are revolutionary in the way they introduced the woven leather hobo (Intrecciato construction) to the market & executed their bags with such finesse but, they have been milking that one invention since their inception some 40-45 years ago.

If you all are talking about overall experience, as in, Trendy, Design, Quality & After-Care, then DIOR ranks right there at the very top with Hermes close on its heels at no.2 spot.

It's high time we relegate LV to Kate Spade, Marc Jacob's & Michael Kors level and looks like Chanel will soon be giving LV company there. Their new introductions lack imagination, execution is nothing to write home about & their ubiquity makes me throw up.

So let us please elevate this discussion to level which I presume we all belong to, Connoisseurs & lovers of art & craftsmanship.

It was very interesting to scan this thread! Thinking about my own preferences, I started to realize that I place a premium on "understated luxury." And while some brands may have a "reputation" they may not work for me.

One thing I was quite surprised about was the general lack of mention of Ferragamo - these bags are very well crafted and luxurious. And there are also Devlaux, Velextra and Mark Cross - premium bags with premium prices. Not so trendy though Mark Cross is having a moment now.

The other thing that was interesting to me is the placement of brands like Kate Spade, Coach, Michael Kors and Marc Jacobs on various lists.

Reflecting on my own preferences, when I got to the point where I wanted a more premium bag, I was quite surprised how un-premium many high priced bags are, and this made me decide plenty were not worth it.

Ferragamo has an old world feel (in terms of style). I luvs me some Ferragamo and I feel like a 1960s Italian movie star wearing some of their bags. Which for me is a good thing but not everyone is going for that. Although for anyone who likes Kate Spade femininity, they should check out some of Ferragamo's styles for a higher end bag choice.

Here are my thoughts...For availability 4 being the hardest to find (boutique only, very limited department store availability) while 1 being the easiest (online retailers, outlet stores).

History Craftsmanship Availability Price Total
Hermes 4 4 3 4 15
Moynat 4 4 4 3 15
-----------------------
Delvaux 4 4 3 3 14
Goyard 4 3 4 2 13
Chanel 3 3 3 3 12
-----------------------
LV 4 3 2 2 11
Dior 2 3 3 3 11
Celine 2 3 3 3 11
-----------------------
Loewe 4 3 1 2 10
Valextra 3 3 2 2 10
-----------------------
Fendi 3 3 1 2 9
Gucci 3 2 1 1 7
Bottega 1 3 1 2 7
Prada 3 1 1 1 6
Mulberry 1 2 1 1 5

Not to sound spiteful or even haughty, I find almost everybody on this forum are absolutely ignorant & given in to peer pressure. Why else would Brands like:
Tod's
Salvatore Ferragamo
Loewe

miss being mentioned. Neither LV nor Chanel can hold candle to the above mentioned brands in the terms of quality of raw material (read: Leather/Raffia etc.) craftsmanship & finish.

Hermes is the only brand from the ones mentioned above by other contributors, and to certain extent Gucci (leather only), Goyard, Velextra & Balenciaga rival the aforementioned brands in teems of overall quality & execution.

Bottega Veneta is one pony trick. Agreed they are revolutionary in the way they introduced the woven leather hobo (Intrecciato construction) to the market & executed their bags with such finesse but, they have been milking that one invention since their inception some 40-45 years ago.

If you all are talking about overall experience, as in, Trendy, Design, Quality & After-Care, then DIOR ranks right there at the very top with Hermes close on its heels at no.2 spot.

It's high time we relegate LV to Kate Spade, Marc Jacob's & Michael Kors level and looks like Chanel will soon be giving LV company there. Their new introductions lack imagination, execution is nothing to write home about & their ubiquity makes me throw up.

So let us please elevate this discussion to level which I presume we all belong to, Connoisseurs & lovers of art & craftsmanship.
;) Now that I've mostly stopped laughing, you are right, LV should be relegated to Kate Spade and the rest though they all have trendy enough bags. It's no longer exclusive, it is EVERYWHERE and really there is nothing that sets it apart other than the initials.

I will never have need to purchase a top of the line purse or tote (shoes are my pleasure), Coach and Orla Kiely work for me. Orla because it has understated style without being flashy and production is limited. Therefore, I likely won't see someone with my tote. TBH, I had a custom messenger bag made by a craftsman who purchases his leather from the same supplier as coach, we worked on the design together. I'm asked about it all the time and the nice thing is no one can place it or price it. If I decided to invest in one of the brands you mentioned, it would be Valextra, the colors are tasteful and designs sleek rather than clunky and junky.

I think LV does an excellent job making their brand so famous and successful. The good indication, abeit very bad one, is that there are so many fakes on street. That alone is enough as a clear indication that most ppl, if not all, accept LV as one of the most famous and luxury brand of handbags. In my mind and limited experiences with handbags, I would rate them as follow:

1) Hermes
2) LV and Chanel
3) Gucci and Dior
4) etc.

I'm sure there are many brands out there that I've never heard of and don't even know exists. But I'm sure for most normal ppl, LV is the top of the luxury handbag. It is like Rolex which is the most well-known and successful luxury watch brand but is considered by most watch collectors as a mid/high range brand (PP, AP, and Vacheron being the top brands for most ppl).

I absolutely agree with you on this especially your Louis Vuitton - Rolex comparison :smile:

I'm sleeples, bored, and reading things at random, so I've decided to chime in on this old thread. This is what I see based on idle research during an insomnia night:

1. Hermès
2. Chanel, Bottega Veneta
3. YSL, Chloé, Dior, Fendi, Céline, Goyard
4. Gucci, Prada, Balenciaga, Valentino
5. Marc Jacobs, Proenza Schouler, Burberry
6. Mansur Gavriel, Stella McCartney
7. Longchamp, Rebecca Minkoff, Furla
8. Coach, Dooney and Burke, MbMJ
9. Tory Burch, Kate Spade, Michael Kors
10. Vera Bradley, Guess, Nine West, CK, etc.

My own, personal list is shorter and arranged a little differently (mainly because I don't find the Hermès bags beautiful):

1. Chanel, Bottega Veneta
2. Céline, Fendi
3. Marc Jacobs, Stella McCartney
4. Free (with subscription) "New Yorker" tote
5. Coach

Written with tongue planted firmly in cheek.