Is the price due to brand name, or quality?

Hopefully you're paying for both, but I used to sell designer bags, and seriously, most of them just aren't worth the price. Chanel, BV, Gucci and quite a few others are ridiculously overpriced, but as long as the demand is there, they can get away with pricing murder.

I would agree with both the quality of the leather and the stitching, but definitely the brand, too.
Sometimes the leather is too good. I am still afraid of my suede Fendi, because it is suede. I think it belongs in a display case marked "do not touch".

i would say definitely paying for both, maybe the brand a little bit more...I mean, superfakes are out there and the quality is definitely there (they're not going to fall apart on you) but the price is significantly lower...

Oh both definitley - like buying my Mulberry bag at around £ 400 was for the quality and that has proved true because it has lasted so well and looks so gorgeous still despite the daily abuse it suffers as I haul it round town. However I have bought other designer brands that were the same quality for 2 - 300 pounds more and in that case it is the brand. I mean Fendi charge £ 2000 for the velvet squirrel spy in their shop in Selfridges - there's no way they can justify that!

In summary I guess I believe that it depends on the brand and even the individual bag you are buying from that same brand. Some are crappy quality, some are worth the money.