"Is it real??"

^Yes, but some people don't get it and see absolutely nothing wrong with carrying fake.

Even though I think it's tacky to wear fake bags, I think it's even tackier and more rude to ask someone about the authenticity of their designer apparel. Who are any of us to judge? Wearing authentic bags doesn't make any of us any better than anyone else. It's different if someone asks for an opinion but to just offer it up on your own is really without class and even tackier than wearing something fake.

And can you imagine how it felt to be questioned at a birthday party dinner in front of a group of girls? I had just given them Coach presents.. and got the dreaded 'Are they real?" question.. it angers me.

Plus.. a lot of these people that ask, I consider to be my friend -- I can't really answer sarcastically (strangers, sure, but it's usually co-workers, friends that ask) to friends and co-workers. Maybe they don't know how tacky they're being by asking ?

finzup - you're absolutely right to be offended - that is really tacky to be questioned about a gift. I think you're right in assuming they don't know it's tacky, but how would they feel if you shouted, "wow! how much did you pay for that?" every time the bday person opened one of their gifts (and that doesn't even touch the "is it real" comment). I'd be angry too.

i think id me more hurt than angry...its like they are judging my integrity. finzup, talk to them about it. let them know how you feel and that you dont like being called out like that at a bday party.

I should have done it then .. it was over a month ago but it's a recurring theme. But you're right. Next time someone does something like that I will say, please don't ask me that question as I will never buy, carry, or give a fake bag as a present.
Today I'm wearing my coach legacy ponytail scarf and I got a few comments about it from co-workers (Mostly all positive --everyone loves it).. but the guys mostly think "waste of money" or "better to get a fake".. I guess some people will never understand!

but the guys mostly think "waste of money" or "better to get a fake".. I guess some people will never understand!

Ask the guys how much they're willing to spend on playstation/other gadgets. I did this to my dh when he started balking at the price of one particular bag I have my sites set on for my bday (yes, it's expensive, but it's my 35th bday and I deserve it). He's been aching for a ps3. Well, $600 is not exactly cheap for a new toy, now is it? I told him he could have it, but then I didn't want to hear him ***** about my bags!

And can you imagine how it felt to be questioned at a birthday party dinner in front of a group of girls? I had just given them Coach presents.. and got the dreaded 'Are they real?" question.. it angers me.

Plus.. a lot of these people that ask, I consider to be my friend -- I can't really answer sarcastically (strangers, sure, but it's usually co-workers, friends that ask) to friends and co-workers. Maybe they don't know how tacky they're being by asking ?
No, I can't imagine how you felt. And, sadly, you had no reason to be embarrassed or offended because they weren't fake!

I think you are right, that people have no idea how uncouth they are being by asking such questions. Regardless of what the answer is, the person being asked is going to be offended. It's like asking someone if their diamond jewelry is real. When you ask that question you are implying that 1) you don't think it's real; 2) that nobody would believe it's real; and 3) you don't think they are "good enough" or "wealthy enough" to afford it. Seriously, consider the implications!

Ask the guys how much they're willing to spend on playstation/other gadgets. I did this to my dh when he started balking at the price of one particular bag I have my sites set on for my bday (yes, it's expensive, but it's my 35th bday and I deserve it). He's been aching for a ps3. Well, $600 is not exactly cheap for a new toy, now is it? I told him he could have it, but then I didn't want to hear him ***** about my bags!

:yes: bring up all the money they invest in their cars, computers, and entertainment. they will change their tune very quickly.

I SO DARE ANYONE to ask me if my new Signature Multi-Stripe Demi is a fake. I'd hit someone upside the head with it! "Does that FEEL fake to you?!"

LOL.

I'm liking this ^^ approach.

I'm pretty vocal about getting things on clearance or at an outlet. SO everyone knows I looks for a deal. It's when I pay full price for something (that I LOVE) and folks assume I got it cheap that I cringe a little inside.

this is really bad, but one time I just looked a girl right in the eye and "of course it's real, we make lots of money and I can buy whatever I want" (it's not true, we do just fine, and I can afford coach and many others, but it sure shut her up fast!)

people really do have some nerve though, I get asked about purses being fake and even my diamond engagement ring (which is pretty big). one time I thought DH was going to kill his friend who honestly asked if my ring was fake.

my theory on purses is carry what you love and can afford. If you can't afford coach, carry nine west and find one you love. Don't buy the fakes that cost $2 to make (I see them in Georgetown in Washington DC a lot and the fake Coach's still cost up to $150 sometimes!)

this is really bad, but one time I just looked a girl right in the eye and "of course it's real, we make lots of money and I can buy whatever I want" (it's not true, we do just fine, and I can afford coach and many others, but it sure shut her up fast!)

people really do have some nerve though, I get asked about purses being fake and even my diamond engagement ring (which is pretty big). one time I thought DH was going to kill his friend who honestly asked if my ring was fake.

my theory on purses is carry what you love and can afford. If you can't afford coach, carry nine west and find one you love. Don't buy the fakes that cost $2 to make (I see them in Georgetown in Washington DC a lot and the fake Coach's still cost up to $150 sometimes!)

Another case of *WHACK!* "Does it FEEL Fake?" No, I'm just kidding. I'd be so angry if someone asked if my engagement ring was fake!!!!

And that cat.. is AH-DORABLE!!!! He looks so smart!

Another case of *WHACK!* "Does it FEEL Fake?" No, I'm just kidding. I'd be so angry if someone asked if my engagement ring was fake!!!!

And that cat.. is AH-DORABLE!!!! He looks so smart!
Thanks for the kitty compliment. He's hilarious! In that pic he was sniffing the camera and I just thought the pic was too funny! This cat has made us laugh more than anyone else. I like him more than a lot of people I know! HA!

I like the whack idea. Maybe if I punched them with my left hand and left a diamond print in his cheek he'd not ask if it was fake! hee hee

How about "yeah...it's real. What about your boobs? Are they real?"

I'm thinking they'll get the point. :devil:

For the Seinfeld fans:

"They're real...and they're spectacular!!!" ;)

I get this question a lot because I have several Coach bags, and everyone (my coworkers, friends, etc) thinks Coach is sooooo expensive and that I am crazy for owning more than one Coach bag. (If they only knew how much bags like Hermes cost!) I just answer yes and leave it at that.

What annoys me more is the "that's not ANOTHER Coach bag, is it???" :rolleyes:

I have a very err, "high end" friend in Chicago trying to convince me to buy a fake since nobody believes bags are real anyway!

I simply can't believe SHE (above all people) would even suggest that.

People are not dumb perhaps rude, definately not tactful or appreciative of what quality is, good taste, and good manners.

My first thought was I would never embarrass myself and give people I know counterfeit gifts of anykind. People of good taste and intergrity would not do that.
It doesn't matter if you purchased the gift, whatever kind of gift a boutique, an outlet or a department store. The recipient should just have good manners and express a thank you, inspite of whatever they thought of the gift!

Thirdly, if someone ever asked me (hasn't happened yet) if my whatever is real. I would in glee say yes it is, and it smells good! (because fakes literally do stink!):roflmfao: