Is having a SA really necessary for brands other than Hermes?

@880

I hope I find SAs like that. I'm also sure that it depends on where you are. I'm hearing that if you're in a touristy place they may be a bit rude. The closest boutiques to me aren't in very touristy places, so maybe I'll have better luck.

I didn't even think about that. I can imagine that's easier. I also didn't take tax into consideration. When I bought my Marmont I saw the price online and made sure I had that much to spend. When they hit me with the tax, I was thrown off, but I was still able to do it without feeling too uncomfortable about it. Next time, I'll save up the amount online says and then a couple hundred. Though if I have a SA then I could wait until sale time.

There are a couple of skirts, socks, and a top I found online I like, but I don't know how the material would work with my skin.

• Love
Reactions: 880
It definitely helps to see what items are forthcoming and to place early orders and reserves on products. I find an SA relationship very helpful for LV, mainly because of their brand popularity; when their special collections release they sell out quickly online and in stores. If someone can help me secure a piece sooner then it relieves me of the pressure of having to hunt it down or miss out on something I really like. I don't see an SA as necessary for the casual luxury shopper who doesn't buy often, but beneficial to those who purchase frequently and look for specific colors, items, styles, etc.

I think it is very beneficial to develop a relationship with an SA for all of the reasons mentioned (access to special events, first to know about sales, SAs will go above and beyond for you) but let it happen organically. Just like you don’t wake up one day and decide that you will hunt for a new friend. Friendships develop organically. It is also a two way street. The reality is that most SAs work on commissions or sales targets. What I prize about my SA relationships at Hermes, Chanel and other luxury boutiques is how they will let me be super efficient and speedy with my transactions. Like someone above me said, I like beautiful things but I hate shopping (a low priority in my busy life) and I despise window shopping. Before I had a lot of disposable income I would never go into stores I could not remotely afford. I waited until I was very well off before I started shopping at luxury boutiques and I only shop today when I have something I want to buy. This has probably made it easier for me to have an SA relationship (the two way street comment). I never felt like I was wasting anyone’s time and my younger self would have been too intimidated to walk into a store like Chanel and find an SA who would want to work with me knowing that I could not truly afford the items. If anything, the ability to shop online has made it easy for anyone to feel comfortable shopping for luxury items without the fear and intimidation factor of the boutiques.

@ccbaggirl89 I would love to be able to see what is coming next, and be able to have a guarantee that I would get it. I know I won't be able to do this with every single item, or every season, but it would be nice to have the option. The only thing I do know right now is that I would most likely go for crossbody. As far as what the bag is made out of, I'm not sure exactly what I prefer.

@Suncatcher Very true. I'll keep that in mind. I know that for me, if I set out to find an SA, I would probably go about it the wrong way. I'm really glad I asked this question. Yes, shopping online has made me feel more comfortable shopping luxury. Especially since I don't know too much about the brands. It's nice to browse and see if anything actually catches my eye without the pressure of buying something. That way, I can see what I'm being drawn to the most and which brands really just aren't my style.

Reactions: ccbaggirl89
Really interesting to hear about everyones' experiences as I have only rarely bought things in boutiques and never developed a relationship with an SA. I once had an SA give me their card in Gucci and I guess I was a bit naive back then and just found it a bot puzzling! "Like, what, why would I call you if I want to buy something!?" ha ha. But it's a really interesting world to have insight into! All these private events and secret sales, really quite exciting!