Investment Purchase

Doesn't selling other items to get a bag also help Hermes sell "hard to sell" items (dinnerware etc)? I don't think they have much sample sales or events to get rid of outdated inventory.

There could be an incidental benefit to widening the sales spectrum, but I doubt it was the primary reason for the wider purchase base situation.
Hermes does have sales in Paris but they are not known about widely
and only accessible to the people who can be there over a very limited time.
If you read about the lead time in getting items like table-ware, it would appear the Hermes has more trouble meeting the demand than selling.

This clause opens up that argument of once you leave the store, you’re free to do what you want with it. This is off the website but I know there’s a similar clause for store purchases:

Hermès Products are exclusively intended to be sold to end consumers for their personal use, with the exclusion of all resellers or intermediaries acting on behalf of resellers. Consequently, you agree and warrant that you are acting as an end consumer and that you will not, directly or indirectly, resell Hermes products purchased on the Website and/or by phone, for commercial purposes.

Both @WhiteBus and @cravin have great points! Personally, however, I don't see how reselling the QBs is that appealing, because it seems to take A LOT of time and efforts. Also, if one person can only have 2 QBs per year, is it even that worth to do resale business, assuming that resellers have the same chances of getting 2 QBs per year at most? The other reason why I found it not appealing is because it is unethical (just to me at least). I just wouldn't be proud of myself, lol.

I am grateful to live in this country and there are many ways to make money. Stock trading, real estate, etc. Not sure if H resale business would be that lucrative when compared to other options. It's just my opinion though. :smile:

Reactions: showgratitude
There could be an incidental benefit to widening the sales spectrum, but I doubt it was the primary reason for the wider purchase base situation.
Hermes does have sales in Paris but they are not known about widely
and only accessible to the people who can be there over a very limited time.
If you read about the lead time in getting items like table-ware, it would appear the Hermes has more trouble meeting the demand than selling.
Wow! My dishes are Corelle :smile:

much as I abhor the for quick profit reselling practice,
I have to agree that once something is sold it is the property of the purchaser to do as they wish.

There is a fascinating book
Bringing Home the Birkin by Michael Tonello (2008)
This chronicles the rise of the New Bag premium reseller market.

As I read it, at this time the Birkin was starting to gain widespread recognition and the demand was starting to outstrip supply. Hermes became aware if this and wanted to regulate its availability to loyal customers. They introduced a system whereby you had to buy other things before a Birkin might be offered to you. This crude system screened potential loyal customers buying for themselves.

Tonello was an ordinary shopper over the world.
He wondered why bags were sometimes available to him and sometimes not. He observed that when he bought other items he was offered a bag. He tested out his theory. Then seeing a potential reselling market he recruited a band of buyers to buy on demand. He would resell at a profit.

To my mind this is the origin of what buyers have to negotiate today.
Tonello has a long and checkered history with this forum…
Doesn't selling other items to get a bag also help Hermes sell "hard to sell" items (dinnerware etc)? I don't think they have much sample sales or events to get rid of outdated inventory.
But they do! There are sales in the US and Europe quite regularly. Huge sale in Paris just a month ago :smile:

• Insightful
Reactions: jellyv
Tonello has a long and checkered history with this forum…

But they do! There are sales in the US and Europe quite regularly. Huge sale in Paris just a month ago :smile:
Some years ago I was aware that the Tonello book was kind of blacklisted on this forum.
Nonetheless it is an informative read and doesn't now give a way to beat the system.

Would you agree that Hermes sales do are not widely advertised and are held at off-store sites.
So although they do happen they are really just for those 'in the know'.

Reactions: maxroxxherhandbags
Some years ago I was aware that the Tonello book was kind of blacklisted on this forum.
Nonetheless it is an informative read and doesn't now give a way to beat the system.

Would you agree that Hermes sales do are not widely advertised and are held at off-store sites.
So although they do happen they are really just for those 'in the know'.
IIRC Tonello himself did something or things to offend our forum founders. But the book is an interesting view into another era for sure.

And yes, H sales are not advertised and more and more of them seem to not be open to the public. I know the Paris one was completely full and apparently a bit of a madhouse, although I wasn’t in the country at the time (kind of glad I didn’t go). Still, the company very much does clear out inventory regularly.

Reactions: golconda
IIRC Tonello himself did something or things to offend our forum founders. But the book is an interesting view into another era for sure.

And yes, H sales are not advertised and more and more of them seem to not be open to the public. I know the Paris one was completely full and apparently a bit of a madhouse, although I wasn’t in the country at the time (kind of glad I didn’t go). Still, the company very much does clear out inventory regularly.
ah, that makes sense
thank you for that backstory

Reactions: QuelleFromage
In another era, as QuelleFromage puts it, I special ordered a 35 cm croc Birkin. When the bag arrived, it was 30 cm rather than 35cm. I was quite disappointed. I purchased the bag anyway, and sold it to a reseller. It made sense at the time to take the special order even though I did not want it. I did not want to lose my status as a special order customer by refusing the bag. BTY the scale pattern makes these bags easy to identify if anyone at Hermes is looking at resale bags.