Investment Purchase

To the OP’s original point though, there are pieces that immediately leave the store at 3x-5x value (LE bags come to mind). When people were buying the Kelly Picnic a couple years ago, they were immediately on TRR and whatnot for $60k. This annoys me like the rest of you. It would be so easy for Hermes to stop, but they can’t.
Can't or won't !!!!

Send in someone to see the bag, take a pic of the production stamps and trace it to who bought it. Blacklist said person.

That’s just one example but I’m sure it could be done.
That's few and far between .One utuber did complain about the similar thing they did because she sold a bag .But they won't do it because they prefer the new customers to loyal old .So doubt they are bothered that bags get flipped .

Send in someone to see the bag, take a pic of the production stamps and trace it to who bought it. Blacklist said person.

I personally don't like this idea because of privacy reasons. Once the bag is purchased, it belongs to the customer. If we think of "business terms," it's literally none of H's business once the bags are sold. What am I missing here?? (Sorry, I am still processing!)

This is a potential GDPR violation since the reseller was not informed that the personal data (which could be inferred from the combination of the date stamp, receipt, and potentially other identifiers) were to be processed by Hermès for the purpose of blacklisting resellers. Without explicit consent, Hermès could be in a legal trouble.

Last edited:
I personally love statistical information regarding the value of my collection. I am primarily a RTW Hermes client who has never had a bag wish list. However, over the years, my SA has surprised me with wonderful bags over the years and the way I got my hubby to support my hobby is by telling him the resale value of my purses. I get my information re: resale prices from Sotheby’s and Christie’s articles regarding past completed auctions.

• Love
Reactions: 880 and miss mitzi
I personally don't like this idea because of privacy reasons. Once the bag is purchased, it belongs to the customer. If we think of "business terms," it's literally none of H's business once the bags are sold. What am I missing here?? (Sorry, I am still processing!)
much as I abhor the for quick profit reselling practice,
I have to agree that once something is sold it is the property of the purchaser to do as they wish.

There is a fascinating book
Bringing Home the Birkin by Michael Tonello (2008)
This chronicles the rise of the New Bag premium reseller market.

As I read it, at this time the Birkin was starting to gain widespread recognition and the demand was starting to outstrip supply. Hermes became aware if this and wanted to regulate its availability to loyal customers. They introduced a system whereby you had to buy other things before a Birkin might be offered to you. This crude system screened potential loyal customers buying for themselves.

Tonello was an ordinary shopper over the world.
He wondered why bags were sometimes available to him and sometimes not. He observed that when he bought other items he was offered a bag. He tested out his theory. Then seeing a potential reselling market he recruited a band of buyers to buy on demand. He would resell at a profit.

To my mind this is the origin of what buyers have to negotiate today.

I have to agree that once something is sold it is the property of the purchaser to do as they wish.

As I read it, at this time the Birkin was starting to gain widespread recognition and the demand was starting to outstrip supply. Hermes became aware if this and wanted to regulate its availability to loyal customers. They introduced a system whereby you had to buy other things before a Birkin might be offered to you. This crude system screened potential loyal customers buying for themselves.

He wondered why bags were sometimes available to him and sometimes not. He observed that when he bought other items he was offered a bag. He tested out his theory. Then seeing a potential reselling market he recruited a band of buyers to buy on demand. He would resell at a profit.

Doesn't selling other items to get a bag also help Hermes sell "hard to sell" items (dinnerware etc)? I don't think they have much sample sales or events to get rid of outdated inventory.

I personally love statistical information regarding the value of my collection. I am primarily a RTW Hermes client who has never had a bag wish list. However, over the years, my SA has surprised me with wonderful bags over the years and the way I got my hubby to support my hobby is by telling him the resale value of my purses. I get my information re: resale prices from Sotheby’s and Christie’s articles regarding past completed auctions.
It's awesome if it creates support from husbands (and wives!) but sometimes I think people take auction results at face value, instead of subtracting the 25-30% premium and the (usually) 10% seller's fee.

It's awesome if it creates support from husbands (and wives!) but sometimes I think people take auction results at face value, instead of subtracting the 25-30% premium and the (usually) 10% seller's fee.
Yes, the final price is very misleading, but I do love the articles. This article regarding the highest selling bags of 2023 are mind boggling.

This clause opens up that argument of once you leave the store, you’re free to do what you want with it. This is off the website but I know there’s a similar clause for store purchases:

Hermès Products are exclusively intended to be sold to end consumers for their personal use, with the exclusion of all resellers or intermediaries acting on behalf of resellers. Consequently, you agree and warrant that you are acting as an end consumer and that you will not, directly or indirectly, resell Hermes products purchased on the Website and/or by phone, for commercial purposes.

• Insightful
Reactions: haute okole
This clause opens up that argument of once you leave the store, you’re free to do what you want with it. This is off the website but I know there’s a similar clause for store purchases:

Hermès Products are exclusively intended to be sold to end consumers for their personal use, with the exclusion of all resellers or intermediaries acting on behalf of resellers. Consequently, you agree and warrant that you are acting as an end consumer and that you will not, directly or indirectly, resell Hermes products purchased on the Website and/or by phone, for commercial purposes.
I saw something like this printed in fine letters on the receipts we get in the boutique, no?

Reactions: cravin

of course, thank you - I was trying to be not too judgmental
I should have added there could be some form of post sale caveat