I enrolled on a weekend jewellery course.... and this is what I made!!

Wow, I am impressed with the ring you made! Is this your first time? I have taken quite a no. of jewellery making classes over the last few years but have not tried one that involves soldering, etc cos I saw the students pieces and none were as good as yours!

Yes, this is my first time ever making jewellery! I was so pleased with the results I achieved. The 1:1 tuition was, imo, worth every penny because the teacher sat behind me and watched me at all times, showing me when I wasnt doing techniques right etc. That's why I think the ring looks so good - the teacher was really excellent at pointing out imperfections and whereas I would probably have said 'that'll do' she was saying ' no you need to solder that bit more, file that part down more' etc etc and because it was only me and my boyfriend on the course, we had plenty of time to talk and understand the techniques we were practising.

Golden Touch - I used an old rose gold ring to melt down - the teacher did supply some silver as part of the course but also encouraged me to bring any old jewellery to melt down. She has mentioned that couples often come to her to make their own wedding rings etc.

melting down old jewellery and soldering is so much fun!!! Sawing through metal is hard work though!!

Thank you so much to everyone's comments. I am so pleased that my ring has inspired others to look into jewellery making.

I think I might take more courses in the future - I am also looking into buying my own equipment but I dont really have the space at home to set up a little workshop and filing, sawing metals is dusty... Possibly considering setting something up in the shed outside but the light outside isnt great... decisions, decisions....

And then this is my gorgeous ring (if I do say so myself :P) by the end of the 2nd day.

All soldered together, filed down, polished and rouged and set the ruby.

The ring is a mixture of rose gold (polished) and silver (brushed satin finish) with set ruby.

The differences in textures of the polished gold and satin silver really sets the ring off, imho

I have never done anything like this before and was so pleased with how the ring turned out!!!

wow you did a pretty good god on the ring it's lovely!