I enrolled on a weekend jewellery course.... and this is what I made!!

1. Sign up to become a TPF member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It's free and quick to sign up, so join the discussion right now!
    Dismiss Notice
Our PurseForum community is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker. Thank you!
  1. Hi All
    Just wanted to share my excitement in my new ring. :yahoo:

For some time now I have wanted to enroll on a silversmithing or jewellery course but I work full time and was struggling to find a course that I could fit around my work commitments.

So I started looking around on the internet and found a website for a jewellery designer in the UK who provides 1:1 jewellery tuition in her studio.

I opted for the weekend (2 day) course (which includes melting down metals, soldering, using the rolling mill, saw blades, files, polishing etc).

My boyfriend and I enrolled together and we decided to make rings.

I decided that I wanted to make a mixed metal ring as I wanted to melt down an old rose gold ring I have, and solder it to silver and I also wanted to learn how to set gems (so I opted to set a ruby in the ring).

So by the end of day one, my ring looked like this (it's the one on the left)
    :yahoo:

Attached Files:

2. So I made a thick band of silver on the left part of the ring and then rose gold band on the right hand side (that forms a triangle meeting just over part of the silver band).

As you can see, I havent yet soldered the ring together at the back : )

I was so tired by the end of the first day - pulling gold and silver through a rolling mill is hard work!!!

3. And then this is my gorgeous ring (if I do say so myself :P) by the end of the 2nd day.

All soldered together, filed down, polished and rouged and set the ruby.

The ring is a mixture of rose gold (polished) and silver (brushed satin finish) with set ruby.

The differences in textures of the polished gold and satin silver really sets the ring off, imho

I have never done anything like this before and was so pleased with how the ring turned out!!!

Attached Files:

4. WOW! Impressive! Do you think you'll go back for more courses?

5. You're so talented! I've been interested in taking a metal work course for some time --- I'm a wire wrapper so feel limited when I want to do stuff beyond wire. Your gorgeous rings is inspiring me to go out and take a metal class!

6. Thank you so much for your kind comments.

I am so pleased with my ring because I have never done anything like this before.

The 1:1 tuition with the teacher really helped because she was able to spend lots of time showing me all the techniques and was on hand whenever i needed guidance or advice.

Yes, I would definitely consider looking at doing more courses.

I had actually finished the ring by about 3pm on the 2nd day and the teacher spent the rest of the afternoon showing me the types of techniques that I could achieve by buying sheet silver at home and using basic tools like a doming block, files, saw blades, hammers etc. At the weekend, I am going to email her and ask for some more information on a good starter kit for me to buy so that I can continue to practise some of the techniques at home.

7. WOW! I LOVE the ring!!!! I've been thinking of taking a jewelry class for some time now. Now I REALLY want to take one!!!

8. You did an amazing job! It is beautiful.....

9. I am so jealous! Well done! :yahoo:

I have been trying to get in to a course 12 week course where I live for many years. However it is full, term to term, with the same lucky people. (I doubt I would like to give up my spot either!)

I have a bag of broken jewellery that I would love to be able to create something with. I usually take it in to the jeweller and get them to make something with it. I have a little "ideas" book with lots of sketches I have done. Ah to dream. ;)

Congrats on your new hobby!

10. Very cool, you did a great job.

11. Wow, I am impressed with the ring you made! Is this your first time? I have taken quite a no. of jewellery making classes over the last few years but have not tried one that involves soldering, etc cos I saw the students pieces and none were as good as yours!

12. That is totally awesome. Beautiful ring, and sounds like a BLAST.

13. that is so awesome! not only is it a good looking ring, but i bet it feels even better knowing that YOU made it! what an inspiration

14. Very cool!
    Are you going to continue making jewelry?

15. Wow I would really love to do something like that. Your ring turned out amazing and I'll bet you'll love it forever!