I Complimented A Girl On Her Fake!

Mehhh, I dunno... I dislike fakes yet I'm currently keeping a fake Coach Checkbook Holder in my purse amongst all my genuine pieces. I mean, I guess if you like the bag I don't see a problem. That's what it's all about right? If you think it's a cute bag you should be able to carry it around guilt free! Besides if it's your only fake and the rest of your bags are genuine, I think that puts you in a different category than someone who only carrys fakes. *shrug*

I don't think it's wrong to carry them and KNOW they are fake. But the people in my town think they are geting a REAL deal for $50. And it's stupid. I have a fake LV Piano bag I got off ebay last year and I carry that everywhere KNOWING it's fake and knowing what I paid for it.

Most people (obviously not on this forum) think these cheap pieces are REAL and are just 'on sale'. That's what I don't like about the whole fakes.

I'd buy fakes all day long but I KNOW they are and accept that.

So no I think you should keep it Purse-O-Nality. It was a gift and what not and you know it's a replica and you arn't trying to pass it off as the real thing.

It just really erks me when people think they have a real one and obviously you only paid $50 bucks for it at some party.

Ok done ranting. LOL

I don't think people should by fakes. Besides it being copyright infrigement, many of the fake bags are money laundering schemes or covering up other illegal actions (drugs, terrorism, etc).. Sounds harsh but there was a big segment about it on the local news. The people selling on the streets or holding purse parties are just the end "sellers" .. wherever they get them from are the "bad guys".
I won't support this. I was not aware of this in the past and a few years ago I did buy a fake LV and a Kate Spade .. I will never carry them because I feel like an idiot carrying them -- what if someone comes up to me and asks, "ohh love your bag.. where did you get it?" I'd die. Plus the quality of the fakes is far less than the real thing. My friend got a fake coach and the zipper barely worked.

I think if you can't afford the real thing you shouldn't buy fakes... just get something you CAN afford -there are plenty of "look a like" bags that are styled like the real things without being counterfit copies.
I'm not rich and I can't afford LV/Dior/Fendi etc so I budget my pennies and buy Coach stuff when I can.

My rant is truely not meant to offend anyone.. just my 2 cents on the fake bag subject..

I don't think people should by fakes. Besides it being copyright infrigement, many of the fake bags are money laundering schemes or covering up other illegal actions (drugs, terrorism, etc).. Sounds harsh but there was a big segment about it on the local news. The people selling on the streets or holding purse parties are just the end "sellers" .. wherever they get them from are the "bad guys".
I won't support this. I was not aware of this in the past and a few years ago I did buy a fake LV and a Kate Spade .. I will never carry them because I feel like an idiot carrying them -- what if someone comes up to me and asks, "ohh love your bag.. where did you get it?" I'd die. Plus the quality of the fakes is far less than the real thing. My friend got a fake coach and the zipper barely worked.

I think if you can't afford the real thing you shouldn't buy fakes... just get something you CAN afford -there are plenty of "look a like" bags that are styled like the real things without being counterfit copies.
I'm not rich and I can't afford LV/Dior/Fendi etc so I budget my pennies and buy Coach stuff when I can.

My rant is truely not meant to offend anyone.. just my 2 cents on the fake bag subject..

I agree. :yes:

I think it is wrong to carry a fake. In whatever line of work you do, would you want someone copying what you do, putting your name on it and making a profit? Of course not, and it doesn't matter if you are a CPA, an author or a designer. It's illegal, unethical and it marks people as posers (trying to be someone or something they are not).

There are plenty of inspired styles that aren't illegal, and I'd rather carry one of those any day. I simply don't think it is right to carry a fake, regardless of whether the rest of your handbags are real or not. After all, a person can't say, "Well, 99% of the checks I wrote weren't false, so don't send me to jail!" Not that you can go to jail for carrying fake, but guilty is guilty.

^^^^ It was the 2nd episode when Carrie and the girls are in LA - Samantha buys a fake Fendi! It's also the episode where Carrie hooks up with Vince Vaughn, who passes himself off as an important person, but in reality is just Carrie Fisher's assistant (and she comes home and busts them having sex in her house). It's a great episode!

LOL... OMG - was watching SATC season 3 this morning, I am going to have to figure out what season that is, dig that DVD out and watch it again just for this... Too funny...

And then after Samantha buys the fake Fendi - she goes to the Hugh Heffner party & gets "outted" on her handbag... Oh too funny.

All I know, is if someone tryed to copy my dance choreography, I would be p*ss*d... so I take that into account into other areas of my life.... If it was just inspired by my choreography?? Then... well, I might be flattered, just a little... there is a fine line though.

I don't think it's wrong to carry them and KNOW they are fake. But the people in my town think they are geting a REAL deal for $50. And it's stupid. I have a fake LV Piano bag I got off ebay last year and I carry that everywhere KNOWING it's fake and knowing what I paid for it.

Most people (obviously not on this forum) think these cheap pieces are REAL and are just 'on sale'. That's what I don't like about the whole fakes.

I'd buy fakes all day long but I KNOW they are and accept that.

So no I think you should keep it Purse-O-Nality. It was a gift and what not and you know it's a replica and you arn't trying to pass it off as the real thing.

It just really erks me when people think they have a real one and obviously you only paid $50 bucks for it at some party.

Ok done ranting. LOL
Thanks for your thoughts. I do appreciate them. We'll see if I come to a point where I feel good carrying it. Until then, it'll sit at the top of my closet looking pretty. :s

Thanks for your thoughts. I do appreciate them. We'll see if I come to a point where I feel good carrying it. Until then, it'll sit at the top of my closet looking pretty. :s

If you do a search here on TPF, you'll find that carrying fake bags is a hugely contentious issue. I'm talking about carrying replicas, not "inspired" bags. Your faux-Chanel has the huge CCs on it, which is a Chanel trademark and, as far as I know, would be considered copyright infringement and is counterfeit and illegal to sell. A quilted bag in that style without the CCs would just be considered "inspired".

I'm not telling you what to do or anything, just saying that this can be an extremely touchy subject here on TPF.

Edited to add: If you do a search on TPF, you'll find all the arguments against carrying fake bags.

Okay then...is it OKAY to carry a fake (ANYTHING)???
I know this is not the Chanel forum, but...I am wondering because I received this VERY BEAUTIFUL (IMO) faux Chanel bag, but I am scared to carry it because I don't want people think "OMG, that is SO FAKE!". It is extremely soft and pretty (the black & white quilted "Cambon" style). To me, it looks like to only difference is that the "CC" is not wrapped on the side as much as the real on and it has black interior instead of hot pink.
Opinions, please?!!? Should I carry it or get rid of it???
Oh, here's a pic of it...

I just can't bring myself to even think about carrying anything fake.

You Rock Finzip!! I can't believe we are even discussing carrying/buying fakes on tPF :cursing:

You Rock Finzip!! I can't believe we are even discussing carrying/buying fakes on tPF :cursing:

I also agree with what Finzup said. I was trying to be...errrr...diplomatic in my earlier post. A lot of people honestly don't realize the controversy surrounding fake/counterfeit bags and by reading some of the other threads here will hopefully become informed on the subject.