i am so addicted - I need help

I am pretty much in the same situation and my husband lets me be. I work and make a pretty good income but at the same time, there's this need to BUY MORE. I don't know where it's coming from ... I have 4 healthy & beautiful children. A beautiful home & cars.

It feels like I buy just to accumulate. Some of my bags even stay in boxes. I don' have as much as everyone here and I am not in debt but sometimes I wished I just saved the money for a vacation or something more meaningful.

I know how you feel Harley and I don't know what to tell you. For expensive purchases I usually try to talk myself out of it. I tell myself that something new will come along and that sometimes work ;)

Eversince I moved to NYC, my purchases tripled than when I lived in San Fran..... especially in the purse and fur department. it's sooooo bad. :cry: But i guess that's what you call adapting to your environment. I don't regret any of my purchases. :lol:

The high i get from shopping is seeing something that i "must have", trying it on (and admiring it on me), and then buying it... going back home, and trying it on again with different shoes and outfits..... I love it!!! So i'm very much an addict.

You are so not alone. I feel exactly the same way. I get on these obsessive compulsive binges, and sometimes it's handbags. It is impossible to stop. I try and stay within budget, which I have, but I feel so guilty and wasteful about it. I'm trying to just accept it, and try and control it some, but it is so very very hard to do.

I think you will hit a brick wall soon. You just won't be able to find anything else you like. In the meanwhile, limit your time on here. Get out and explore your new city. Have you made some friends you enjoy? Maybe take up a new hobby. I have, at some point, used my purchases to fill some hole....lots of people on here have. There does come a time where it doesn't work, though. Could you set a number limit for yourself? For example, you can keep 7 bags. That is it. Before you buy another, one must go. Either return one or sell one. It may help you enjoy what you have more.

addicted.... what does that word mean to us exactly?? Doesn't it say to you that we ENJOY every purchase that we make?? That maybe we go without something so that we may enjoy the purchase we so hastily made because we HAD to have it? And sunglasses and shoes... lol I don't care what anyone says (and my husband suggested counseling) I love bags and I intend to keep buying and buying and buyyying!:graucho:

I think that you'll feel better if you make a budget and try to stick to it. I actually have almost the opposite problem, I've started making more money and I have to tell myself its ok to spend money on more expensive purses. Right now I've decided that I can spend up to 2% of my income on purses this year - way more then I've ever spent. (I have a separate clothing budget, and that is where more of my money goes).

As far as financial planning. Are you meeting your savings goals for the future? I.e. maxing out retirement accounts and saving a percentage of your income, having a 6 month cash 'cushion.'

both my husband and I make decent salaries - actually quite good salaries ... but we are by no means millionaires ... but I think I am buying bags for all the wrong reasons ... I want people to notice me - and in a country where people like me are not looked on well ... a chanel definitely gets me in the door so to speak ... but once I get back home to New York - no one is going to care if I carry a Chanel or a Wal Mart ... I know that ... I guess I have some serious psychological flaws ...

I know how you feel. I'm away from home and I've been going through a bad year. I've found myself buying stuff to make myself feel better. And it does feel good when people comment my bags.

I won't blame you. Especially as your choices are great.
It all depends on whether you are starting a "collection", or already have too many bags. If you are over-filling your closet, I would suggest you OBLIGE yourself to wear what you have. organise a rotation and just bear in Mind you have to wear them.

This usually helps reducing my craves for new bags. You can also intellectualise about your collection and take all your bags out, trying to put the ideal collection together. This might also hel you getting rid of the not-so-good choices!

Don't worry, no one here will judge you, but we can definitely try to help! ;)

i am judging me ... yes I have classic pieces that I will treasure forever ... and it was actually my husband that started it with the 2.55 he bought me two years ago for christmas ...

but in reality - please ladies be honest - a year from now, am I going to carry a 1200 dollar gaucho? I don't think so ... I haven't carried it in a month and I have only had it for 3 ...

i am pathetic ...

harley said:
i am judging me ... yes I have classic pieces that I will treasure forever ... and it was actually my husband that started it with the 2.55 he bought me two years ago for christmas ...

but in reality - please ladies be honest - a year from now, am I going to carry a 1200 dollar gaucho? I don't think so ... I haven't carried it in a month and I have only had it for 3 ...

i am pathetic ...

I think you are being too hard on yourself. I would not describe not carrying a new bag as pathetic. If you feel bad about the purchase, return it or sell it. If you think you won't use it, get rid of it. But that does not make you pathetic...maybe the purchase was spontaneous or not well thought out, but certainly not pathetic. If you are feeling a bit guilty, you could go through your collection, and decide what you want to keep and what you want to return/sell. Might alleviate some of this guilt.

harley said:

i am pathetic ...

Aw, don't beat yourself up, we all buy expensive things we don't really use. Also, I'm sad to hear that you feel like the bags have to get you in the door where you are, sounds like racism?! That is really upsetting to me. I think you're just homesick and don't feel comfortable where you were. Why don't you clean out your closet and sell some things? I always feel better when I have a clean closet full of things I actually use and love. I've consigned things before or given them to women's groups. Chanel bags are beautiful and really timeless. Please don't be so hard on yourself, living overseas is very hard. I was overseas for a semester in college and I loved it sometimes, but sometimes I just wanted to be home.

Please say some postive affirmations to yourself when you look in the mirror " I am a good person, I am not pathetic", etc. When I feel guilty for buying too many expensive handbags I donate a lot of my less expensive ones to friends and relatives...I open up my dresser and tell them to go for it!

You buying bags is your preference. You need to do it because it's something that you want because you like it, not for anyone or anything else. Don't worry about what other people will think in Hong Kong or Walmart. I can't say anything about whether you'll be using your gaucho next year, but if you don't, then sell it. Someone else would love to have it.

Just slow down your purchases and pick pieces that you are going to love for the long haul. We all have issues with shopping on here. That's why we are all here. We have a common interest that we love to talk about. We aren't going to beat you up if you have a birkin or a 12 dollar Walmart bag.

It's not a need for a new bag, it's a want. If you wanna slow up, do vicky's plan. It will help...although I can't help because I'm buying a lot of bags each month. However, I use all my bags don't get me wrong.