Husbands quest to get Wife a bag

It isn’t, but it is the holidays, they are getting a lot of walk-in’s like this, and SA’s are under pressure from their own clients and their client’s husbands. Before you walked in she probably had the following conversation 10 times that day: “For Pete’s sake, my wife spends a fortune at this store, what do you mean I can’t get a pink Kelly 25 today, it’s what my wife wants for Christmas?!?! Just give it to me, how hard can that be?!?!” The SA you spoke to was also probably wondering why you weren’t at the store where your wife normally shops. The advice to go to the store where your wife shops and speak to the store manager was excellent advice. Good luck!
I can attest to this. A couple of Christmases ago, I was chatting with an SA in my home H when a guy walked up to her, interrupted us and bluntly asked to buy a B. The SA mentioned the mythical waiting list and turned him down. We weren't even in the leather department. She told me that she gets versions of this question all day.

Another factor might be how long your wife has been with the SA or that boutique and what is in her wish list. If she has only been buying H for a short while and her bag choice is very popular, the SA would probably offer it to a longtime client rather than her, especially since you say that there is not that much chemistry between your wife and the SA.

Reactions: Etriers
Not good news - I went to the store this afternoon and wasn't even greeted by anyone (normal?). I approached one of the SA and talked about how much my wife loves Hermes, what stores she visits, and all the stuff she's bought so far. That she talks a lot about Hermes and things that she wants often to me. Then I said that I would love to surprise her for her birthday by getting her a Birkin bag that she always wanted. The SA flat rejected me saying that there's no stock, and that she should make a wish list which she already has. SA wasn't particularly helpful, and honestly gave off a pretty rude demeanor with her short and abrupt answers. Is it normal to be treated like this at Hermes?

Moving on. I have one last chance to get my wife a bag which happens to be on her birthday in a few days. We're planning to go to the Hermes store where she normally goes and buys all her stuff from. She's mentioned that she has conversed with the store manager there before, and her SA will be off on that day. Question now: would it be better to go into the store with my wife and talk with the store manager about possibly getting a bag for her birthday? Or would it be better for me to approach the store manager on my own and discuss my wife's want for a bag and that it's her birthday? (I'd sneak away somehow and go to the store first)

What boutique in Cali is this? (I think you mentioned that is where you are).

Honestly, if you are willing to pay for the bag, just take your wife to Paris — I know it’s a hike from the West Coast, but it will be a lot easier to get a bag there.

What boutique in Cali is this? (I think you mentioned that is where you are).

Honestly, if you are willing to pay for the bag, just take your wife to Paris — I know it’s a hike from the West Coast, but it will be a lot easier to get a bag there.

This was at the Palo Alto store. I may need to pull the trigger on that Paris trip if she isn’t able to get a bag from the other store she shops at.

Last edited:
Reactions: AnnaE
This was at the Palo Alto store. I may need to pull the trigger on that Paris trip if she isn’t able to get a bag from the other store she shops at.
Spend the equivalent of your Paris trip and she has the best chance of getting her top wishes. Even if you go to Paris, who can guarantee the two of you will win the lottery to be seen by an FSH SA who is not there just to turn people down? Especially if her wishes consist of more coveted sizes (25s and minis).

Is the original SA is also in PA? Honestly, she should at least switch SAs. They have so many wonderful ones there. And they certainly have a steady supply of Birkins and Kellies.

Have you tried contacting her SA directly? It may not hurt. Maybe he will he helpful even if he is not always helpful.

Spend the equivalent of your Paris trip and she has the best chance of getting her top wishes. Even if you go to Paris, who can guarantee the two of you will win the lottery to be seen by an FSH SA who is not there just to turn people down? Especially if her wishes consist of more coveted sizes (25s and minis).

Thanks maybe we should try that. She explained to me that Paris is all based on luck. I secretly took a picture of her wishlist which I know she keeps on her notepad in her phone. Knowing my wife’s style, she wants a neutral color but I think in the medium size, not the smallest size. To be honest, I don’t really understand what’s written on her wishlist..

I feel like if there is a need for a guaranteed bag to appear for, say, Christmas, resellers are a way to go at that point. Since OP’s wife is already spending money and not getting offers, she may need way more than an equivalent of a trip to Paris to finally get one.

Reactions: lulilu
Is the original SA is also in PA? Honestly, she should at least switch SAs. They have so many wonderful ones there. And they certainly have a steady supply of Birkins and Kellies.

Have you tried contacting her SA directly? It may not hurt. Maybe he will he helpful even if he is not always helpful.

Her original SA is in SF and she has never shopped in Palo Alto. I only tried that location because it was most convenient to me. At this point, I think I should try contacting her SA or try talking to the manager on my own. I’ve never met her SA before and don’t want to ask my wife for her SA’s info so not quite sure how to approach that.

Last edited:
Reactions: AnnaE
Her original SA is in SF and she has never shopped in Palo Alto. I only tried that location because it was most convenient to me. I think I should try contacting her SA but not sure how to approach that? I’ve never met her SA before.

I don’t know much about the SF boutique as I shop in PA, but both should have bags to offer for sure. I would just text the SA (I assume you can get his number from your wife), introduce yourself and ask if he has anything special for her.

1) I think a trip to Paris is a good idea not for getting the bag but because IT’S A TRIP TO PARIS!! That’s plenty amazing by itself. In fact I’d highly suggest that you do NOT make the bag the focus of that trip. Obviously you should try to score one there, check out the very helpful Paris thread in the sub forum for a lot of great info on that particular experience! But please make sure that’s only the possible added bonus of the trip. Enjoy the city and enjoy a wonderful vacation. If you get the bag that’s awesome but if you don’t (which is always possible) it should still be awesome.

2) Go have a chat with the SA your wife works with if possible. I don’t know if it’s a good idea to go around her so to speak to try to get a bag in that store. I’d definitely talk to the SA first before trying to talk to SM for a bag (that’s what it sounds like to me if that’s not what you are trying to do I’m sorry I misread it!) Also bear in mind depending on the bag your wife wishes for and how long she has had the relationship with H...if she’s only started her journey recently, if she’s looking for a sought after size (the smaller ones) in a popular color (black, neutral, followed by pink), if she has very specific wishes...and so on...then not getting it offered is not THAT surprising even with 7k spent.

Holiday season is pretty crazy for retail. I’d keep that in mind when talking with the SA and be extra considerate. But it’s also a season for magic so...it can happen! Still wishing you the best of luck!!

PS off topic and apologies in advance if I’m stepping out of line and giving unasked input - but if I were you I’d plan some other birthday gift besides this bag...in the case that it doesn’t happen. You are definitely an awesome husband but I thought I’d mention this in case you’ve focused too much on the bag and somehow forgot. Sounds like the birthday is very soon so it’s nice to have a plan B...:flowers:

Last edited:
I highly recommend that you go visit the first SA since your wife has already spent roughly $7K with the store. Maybe ask to speak to the store manager about it as your wife has already established a client profile there...

Perhaps the SM/SA will understand the situation after talking to you and let you purchase few more smaller items to speed up the quota bags offering... don’t get discouraged as SAs sometimes are busy, some may not respond to text in a timely matter or not tech savvy enough....

By going to a different store, you may end up starting up all over with new purchase history (especially looking up your wife’s profile with the original store) and still not guarantee with your wife’s dream bag. Good luck to you.

Ugh stuff like this drives me crazy. I have never heard that you have to play the whole ‘spend cost of a Birkin to buy a a Birkin’ game in California. Maybe I am delusional and / or lucky as I have been offered bags multiple times without anyone summing my spend up. Honestly, I love my Kelly (that I finally gave into buying), but I would never buy one if I was told I had to buy three more bracelets and a scarf this year to get one. It may be that the SA likes other customers better for whatever reason and offers quota bags to them first. Or OP’s wife’s wishlist is very specific and that bag hasn’t come in yet. Or whatever else. The SF boutique has been just renovated and they are supposed to be getting a ton of inventory of everything, so if the SA is not being optimistic, time to change SAs and explore other avenues of obtaining a dream bag.

Reactions: LJChicago
Ugh stuff like this drives me crazy. I have never heard that you have to play the whole ‘spend cost of a Birkin to buy a a Birkin’ game in California. Maybe I am delusional and / or lucky as I have been offered bags multiple times without anyone summing my spend up. Honestly, I love my Kelly (that I finally gave into buying), but I would never buy one if I was told I had to buy three more bracelets and a scarf this year to get one. It may be that the SA likes other customers better for whatever reason and offers quota bags to them first. Or OP’s wife’s wishlist is very specific and that bag hasn’t come in yet. Or whatever else. The SF boutique has been just renovated and they are supposed to be getting a ton of inventory of everything, so if the SA is not being optimistic, time to change SAs and explore other avenues of obtaining a dream bag.

I am also wondering if it’s the length of the wife’s history with H, or like the specifics of the bag that she’s asking for that’s part of the situation...although we really don’t know because I don’t think the info has been provided (would love to know if OP finds out what her wish is). It’s probably one thing to say “I’d like to get her a Birkin” and another to say “I’d like to get her this specific Birkin that’s her dream bag”...

Thanks maybe we should try that. She explained to me that Paris is all based on luck. I secretly took a picture of her wishlist which I know she keeps on her notepad in her phone. Knowing my wife’s style, she wants a neutral color but I think in the medium size, not the smallest size. To be honest, I don’t really understand what’s written on her wishlist..
I assume medium size is a B30 or a K28, and wife's home store is SF? I don't shop there but the two boutiques in this area operate in fairly similar manners.

Neutral colors are always harder for the first bag, but sometimes people get lucky. If you really want an offer before Christmas, go together and buy her a birthday present (you don't need to spend a ton, just find something you like) and then without wife knowing ask her SA to take a look at her wishlist. Neutral colors are on most people's list so don't feel discouraged.

I do feel B30s in neutral colors seem more available at FSH (provided you can score an appointment). If you have a plan to visit Paris, it's always worth a try.