How to get seasonal/popular bags?

Heyo! As a former newbie to Chanel, I too struggled to find what I wanted and didn't understand why it was so impossible! To be quite honest, with Chanel, it's a race to being the first group that's requesting what you want. Many hardcore Chanel fans know what's coming 3-4 months before it reaches stores or captures the interest of the general public. These folks have been asking their Chanel Sales Associates for these items within those 3 months before release! By the time you find something that some famous Instagramer or Celebrity is wearing, chances are it's very difficult and nearly impossible to get (unless you buy from a reseller).

Without any shopping history, I've been able to request a specific handbag a month in advance, and got it! So here's a few things to keep in mind while trying to score your dream Chanel bag that I've learned by lurking these forums, various Chanel stores, and chatting with friends over the past 8 years..

1.) Always watch the fashion shows Chanel puts on youtube to keep an eye on bags (accessories and clothes) that capture your interest. For instance, the Chanel | Pre-Fall 2020/2021 | Full Show was held two months ago, but isn't meant to hit stores for another month or two (can someone on TPF verify the exact release date for me?). The reason I suggest to do this is because you can grab screenshots on your phone, show your SA and you'll literally be among some of the first folks to inquire about items.

2.) Lurk the Chanel Shopping purseforum! Rolling with the same fashion show I linked above, the Chanel shopping forum has a topic dedicated to that very show! https://forum.purseblog.com/threads/chanel-metiers-darts-2021-21a.1037865/page-11#post-34311802
I highly encourage you to lurk around to get intel on when SA's are ready to receive requests or details on the handbags that weren't shown on the runway (like the brown mini you all love!). By doing this, you'll get a 1-2 month jump on all the other folks that want the same items!

3.) If you're hunting something that's already in stores, find the reference number for your dream bag! This is key because it's the fastest way to have various stores quickly look up if they have your item in stock (and they can also see if it's available across state lines as well). You can find this on the Chanel site, or even asking the kind folks on this forum for help! Once you have the reference #, you can call Nordstrom, Saks, Neimans, or even your local Chanel store via phone and ask them if they have stock.

Super time saving tip: email, or call Chanel Customer Care with the subject line and body including your reference #. They will let you know where there is stock left across ALL stores that carry Chanel within the United States. (see image below for the email that helped me track my HG small classic flap with ghw)

customer support.jpg

Sigh--- remember when classic flaps were below 5k? LOL

Anyways! Hope this was a helpful post. Please don't hesitate to message me if you have additional questions. I would also like to mention that most Chanel stores won't ship bags to you unless you have sales history. Obviously the NM, Saks, and Nordstrom stores are currently the exception. Good Luck!

For those of you that have been at this game longer than I have, I’m curious how things have changed over the last year due to the pandemic. Clearly there have been supply issues and delays because of covid, coupled with what seems to be a large increase in demand as more people are spending on goods rather than services and hospitality. I’m curious, was it this hard to find what you wanted before covid started? If you weren’t texting your SAs months in advance of a release, could you still more or less get what you wanted?

i feel just the same about this bag! I also just get super angry when I do look at IG and they are even typing “hehehehe SUPER PREMIUM PRICING for this one!” It just leaves such a bad taste in my mouth and is so obviously a cash grab.

I know there was a controversy recently about Maria Draganovasaying she couldn’t buy another bag within 60 days and another YouTuber made a video about that in response.

Wasn’t there some controversy a while ago that Chanel was trying to ensure there weren’t too many bags on the preloved market? I feel they aren’t that mad about it as resellers have become even more prominent since the pandemic started. That said I know *some* resellers likely mean well and help Chanel lovers who live in areas where it’s too hard to find, but I personally refuse to buy from them unless it was an actual vintage bag I couldn’t find elsewhere (but would likely default to a Japanese eBay shop). Just on principal it bothers me as there’s less quality control and I would prefer that purchase history be on my profile with Chanel. It would serve me better in the long run if I wanted to buy again I feel.

Though on a positive note thank you @daisy913 for sharing your insights and excellent tips. I’m grateful this community can still be a wealth of knowledge and support!

Is that what happened with Maria? I just saw her YouTube video revealing the gold mini and she alluded that there was drama with the bag that involved a manager. I wonder how she got the bag in the end!

Heyo! As a former newbie to Chanel, I too struggled to find what I wanted and didn't understand why it was so impossible! To be quite honest, with Chanel, it's a race to being the first group that's requesting what you want. Many hardcore Chanel fans know what's coming 3-4 months before it reaches stores or captures the interest of the general public. These folks have been asking their Chanel Sales Associates for these items within those 3 months before release! By the time you find something that some famous Instagramer or Celebrity is wearing, chances are it's very difficult and nearly impossible to get (unless you buy from a reseller).

Without any shopping history, I've been able to request a specific handbag a month in advance, and got it! So here's a few things to keep in mind while trying to score your dream Chanel bag that I've learned by lurking these forums, various Chanel stores, and chatting with friends over the past 8 years..

1.) Always watch the fashion shows Chanel puts on youtube to keep an eye on bags (accessories and clothes) that capture your interest. For instance, the Chanel | Pre-Fall 2020/2021 | Full Show was held two months ago, but isn't meant to hit stores for another month or two (can someone on TPF verify the exact release date for me?). The reason I suggest to do this is because you can grab screenshots on your phone, show your SA and you'll literally be among some of the first folks to inquire about items.

2.) Lurk the Chanel Shopping purseforum! Rolling with the same fashion show I linked above, the Chanel shopping forum has a topic dedicated to that very show! https://forum.purseblog.com/threads/chanel-metiers-darts-2021-21a.1037865/page-11#post-34311802
I highly encourage you to lurk around to get intel on when SA's are ready to receive requests or details on the handbags that weren't shown on the runway (like the brown mini you all love!). By doing this, you'll get a 1-2 month jump on all the other folks that want the same items!

3.) If you're hunting something that's already in stores, find the reference number for your dream bag! This is key because it's the fastest way to have various stores quickly look up if they have your item in stock (and they can also see if it's available across state lines as well). You can find this on the Chanel site, or even asking the kind folks on this forum for help! Once you have the reference #, you can call Nordstrom, Saks, Neimans, or even your local Chanel store via phone and ask them if they have stock.

Super time saving tip: email, or call Chanel Customer Care with the subject line and body including your reference #. They will let you know where there is stock left across ALL stores that carry Chanel within the United States. (see image below for the email that helped me track my HG small classic flap with ghw)

View attachment 4979466

Anyways! Hope this was a helpful post. Please don't hesitate to message me if you have additional questions. I would also like to mention that most Chanel stores won't ship bags to you unless you have sales history. Obviously the NM, Saks, and Nordstrom stores are currently the exception. Good Luck!
OMG such helpful info! Thank you so much!! Thank you for taking the time :smile:

Reactions: Tina_Bina
My SA and I had a good chat recently about this and how it’s almost impossible to procure a “popular” bag now and the solution she told me is to preorder or pre-reserve what I want. She said the list usually comes out a few months prior to the release date so if I really want something I should reserve it. She also mentioned that all the bags are very limited so even among her colleagues they have to compete to get the bag for their client.
I think a lot of PS and resellers are SAs themselves or have relations with SAs therefore they always get inside info before everyone else does.

My SA mentioned the competitiveness between the boutique employees also. She told me that 'swaps' happen all the time for their respective clients. For example a bag that I may have requested comes in but my SA could be on leave that day, so she will have to swap something that she has with the other SA in order to get that bag for me. I seriously don't understand how that works, or how each employee can 'hold' stock for their own clients, but apparently it's very common!

I heard that the UK is no longer giving back VAT return!
Its true, I have a cousin there and I wanted her to get me a mini rectangle and they no longer give the tax return. Also she was unable to get it for me since she bought a bag for valentines day and she has to wait 2 months before she can purchase another one.

Its true, I have a cousin there and I wanted her to get me a mini rectangle and they no longer give the tax return. Also she was unable to get it for me since she bought a bag for valentines day and she has to wait 2 months before she can purchase another one.
What?????? That's insane!!!! I didn't realize they had a wait time between purchases

My SA mentioned the competitiveness between the boutique employees also. She told me that 'swaps' happen all the time for their respective clients. For example a bag that I may have requested comes in but my SA could be on leave that day, so she will have to swap something that she has with the other SA in order to get that bag for me. I seriously don't understand how that works, or how each employee can 'hold' stock for their own clients, but apparently it's very common!
This happened to me one time. The Sa did a store search and found a bag I wanted out of state. The Sa was told that was an error what was showing in the system. I called the same store the next day and another employee confirmed the bag was in stock on hold for a client who was out of the country. I was like WTH?

Reactions: theluxehousewife
My SA and I had a good chat recently about this and how it’s almost impossible to procure a “popular” bag now and the solution she told me is to preorder or pre-reserve what I want. She said the list usually comes out a few months prior to the release date so if I really want something I should reserve it. She also mentioned that all the bags are very limited so even among her colleagues they have to compete to get the bag for their client.
I think a lot of PS and resellers are SAs themselves or have relations with SAs therefore they always get inside info before everyone else does.
This is what I always do - ask my SAs if their store would be receiving items I like from upcoming seasons and they would easily put me on the list if their store is getting the items. And then I get the item once it’s in store.

But for the past month, all of my SAs are telling me they have not received their buy books yet therefore they can’t access the waitlist but will make sure to put me on the list for an item I want once they get their buy book for 21S and 21A. I find this weird because one of my SAs successfully put me on the list for an item from 21S way back in October. So yeah... Chanel has been strange this past month re reservations.

View attachment 4979466

Very well said! I have tried all those before and was successful. My first Jumbo was $4300 at that time I really worked hard to save up for that, now it’s over 7K?

This is what I always do - ask my SAs if their store would be receiving items I like from upcoming seasons and they would easily put me on the list if their store is getting the items. And then I get the item once it’s in store.

But for the past month, all of my SAs are telling me they have not received their buy books yet therefore they can’t access the waitlist but will make sure to put me on the list for an item I want once they get their buy book for 21S and 21A. I find this weird because one of my SAs successfully put me on the list for an item from 21S way back in October. So yeah... Chanel has been strange this past month re reservations.
I was told by an SA that they are switching to a system that is unified and all reservations will be seen per name... that may be how they can try to weed out resellers... but we as experienced buyers we try to get on more than 1 list to increase our chances ...

Reactions: Prettyinpnknwht