How to clean hardware and stained leather?

Kelly M

Aug 1, 2016
Hi all, my mother recently dug up this vintage bag of hers from the 70s-80s & gave it to me :nuts: It’s genuine leather. I noticed the hardware has green/blue stains that have also transferred onto the leather. How do I clean this off safely? Is it better to take it to a cobbler to be cleaned?

A88D3C21-1539-4E70-8022-7A3986637D4F.jpeg

FA0F35C4-DBAC-4DEC-96AF-51F5C8695D9E.jpeg

124DB7E1-D26B-4EF4-8F2B-5ABEA6A63B97.jpeg

Hi all, my mother recently dug up this vintage bag of hers from the 70s-80s & gave it to me :nuts: It’s genuine leather. I noticed the hardware has green/blue stains that have also transferred onto the leather. How do I clean this off safely? Is it better to take it to a cobbler to be cleaned?

View attachment 5286992

View attachment 5286993

View attachment 5286994
That is tarnished brass. Purchase brass cleaner, use a q-tip to keep the cleaner off the leather. Use a damp towel to wipe the green off the leather, or any leather cleaner you may have on hand. Gorgeous bag, by the way!

ETA: Where the metal piece has been resting on the leather all these years - that's just 'protected' leather - if you conditioned the whole bag and restore its moisture it would be as dark as that under the metal.

That is tarnished brass. Purchase brass cleaner, use a q-tip to keep the cleaner off the leather. Use a damp towel to wipe the green off the leather, or any leather cleaner you may have on hand. Gorgeous bag, by the way!

ETA: Where the metal piece has been resting on the leather all these years - that's just 'protected' leather - if you conditioned the whole bag and restore its moisture it would be as dark as that under the metal.
Thank you so much!! It really is stunning - I used to ride when I was a teenager so it feels like a long-lost part of myself that this bag is helping me tap into :angel: I'll have to condition it and see how it looks!!

View attachment 5286992

View attachment 5286993

View attachment 5286994
I concur with @indiaink; that’s not why I’m replying though - I want your bag Ű
It’s gorgeous, your mother has good taste

Last edited:
What an absolutely stunning, eye-popping, jaw-dropping gorgeous bag! Gucci actually made one like this in the 1970s, so maybe this is an inspired version.

I think the brass is OK as it is. All the leather needs is some clear leather cream

View attachment 5286992

View attachment 5286993

View attachment 5286994
I had great success with a rouge cloth and toothpaste on silver HW...not sure if that would work on yours