How much did you spend on your engagement ring?

Our PurseForum community is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker. Thank you!
  1. Thanks! :smile:

2. I love it when someone else takes the biggest hit! :graucho:

We purchased my Tiffany ring second hand. I've bought somethings new but have started to follow auctions more and more. Just got a good deal on a lovely Dior ring that I had my eye on for sometime.

3. Does your jeweler give you cash back or the cash value of the ring towards a new purchase? Cash value towards a new ring is totally different than cash back. I'm shocked that your jeweler has a cash back whenever policy - I've never, ever heard of it. Frankly, if they can afford to do that it is probably because they have a nice markup built in.

4. I agree with most posters that we lack sufficient information about your and future finance's financial situation. If you have 6 months of living expenses, then I think it's fine. I also personally think that the idea of upgrading is also a waste of money (not to say that one should not do it) because what would you then do with that ring? Unless it's a Tiffany where you can trade it in (or similar situation), you basically lose most of the value of the original ring as well.

I got engaged at 25 in 2008; I think the total cost of the E-ring was around $15k. But we also had over six futures in savings. Most of my friends getting engaged at that time also had the same price range, I still love my ring, and doubt that I will upgrade. I am a bit of a romantic and love the ring that he picked by himself to ask me to start our lives together.

Good luck OP; the biggest prize is your future husband, not your e-ring.

5. Mine was about $12,500 I believe. In retrospect, we could and probably should have spent less. It was a bit of an impetuous purchase -- honestly, with the benefit of 9 years of hindsight, I think I would get something more discreet if I had it to do over. Not to save the money, but because I think something smaller would have actually fit my style better. For everyday wear, I often just wear my wedding band (diamond band), stacked with another band my husband bought me a few years after we were married.

6. i was looking at the estate section at a local jewelry store and i was shocked at how affordable the estate e-rings were! when my sister's bf wants to propose (hopefully he asks for my input), i'll take him there to look first.

7. I have always bought estate jewelry and I love it!
    With the recent high prices of gold, at a reputable jeweler there are some real bargains to be had!
    Recently replaced my original wedding set with something more discreet and purchased a few more items besides. No regrets.

8. Chalk me up as another fan of someone else taking the hit on depreciation.

Mr. D and I are contemplating a new diamond band for our renewal next month and I'm popping by one of my fave estate sellers tomorrow for some shopping.

9. Update (and a propos of nothing):

Attached Files:

10. UGH. It's the attack of the giant killer hand.

11. Gorgeous!! 😍

12. My original engagement ring (1978) was $460.00 (1/2 carat oval). My 35 year anniversary upgrade was nearly $30000.00 (2 ct. with french sides.) After 35 years why not?

13. I'm not engaged yet, but my darling BF has taken me ring shopping.

We were looking at rings in the 60k - 80k range.

He's a banker with a six figure income and has four investment properties.. To be honest I'm not sure how much he has in personal savings but he seemed comfortable with the price tag?

Whilst I understand the logic in what previous posters have said in relation to income and savings, I believe it's all up to personal preference. The ring would fit my lifestyle and wouldn't send him broke; so for us it's perfectly fine. 😊

14. I honestly can't even being to imagine what a 60-80K ring would look like. My BFF's was 13K and it's ginormous!

15. I think the yellow one is the best because of its setting and square shape.It also suits your finger very much.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice