How has your luxury shopping evolved?

May 3, 2020
For those that have been buying luxury items over the years how has your shopping for luxury evolved?
I’m really curious as I only started 5 years ago but I still feel like I’m only just getting started. It’s minimal and am keen to keep it that way but worried I will just move onto other categories or keep adding items to my wishlist.

1. Did you start in one category e.g. Handbags and then move to their categories or still buying same categories
I started with handbags, but stay within handbags, accessories and jewellery

2. Is the rate you buying things stayed the same or slowed down as you ticked off your wishlist?
About the same over the last few years, maybe slowed down a little due to the recent crime

3. Did your wishlist keep growing over the years?
Its been pretty consistent for the last few years. I usually try to remove an item if I want to add a handbag.

4. What’s your collection like? Are you buying or decluttering or keeping it as is?
Its minimal, growing atm but that is because I still have a few items to tick off.

5. Are you getting bored of luxury or just getting started?
Neither, I’ve never been interested in owning a lot. I buy non luxury for most of my items still.

6. Has the exclusivity or price of items you buying changed? Or the kind of luxury brands you buy from?
No, I havent got any Hermès handbag, although I would love to have their handbag, I don’t like enough the other items. I buy different brands, I don’t care about brand tiers. I also buy preloved.

Great questions! I’ve been shopping luxury for about 20 years now, so it’s definitely evolved for me. To answer your specific questions:

1. Did you start in one category e.g. Handbags and then move to their categories or still buying same categories
I started with handbags. In the beginning, I bought one bag every couple of years. I was just starting out in my career, wanted to build up my savings and had tremendous student debt. Once I paid off my debt, and got comfortable with my savings, I turned to my wardrobe. I started at handbags, but then moved on to shoes, fashion accessories (scarves, costume jewelry), clothing and fine jewelry, in that order. Now I buy in all those categories.

2. Is the rate you buying things stayed the same or slowed down as you ticked off your wishlist?
Ah, there’s always something new and tempting! I would say my rate has increased, but that is a function of where I am in my career. I would like to slow down though as I consider college tuition for my kids and retirement down the line. I don’t want to work till I’m dead!

I’ve never really had a wishlist per se. I like to walk around, try things on, and buy what speaks to me. When I was starting out, though, there were categories I wanted and saved for while I paid off student debt: a work bag, a going out bag, dress shoes. The only specific item I wanted was an Hermes scarf!

4. What’s your collection like? Are you buying or decluttering or keeping it as is?
It might have grown a bit out of control! My closet is stuffed. Although I have given things to friends and family, and consigned a few items, for the most part I’ve kept things and added to them. I do love pulling out a 10-year blazer or 15-year old bag and wearing it with my just-bought boots or necklace, etc.

I’m not bored, I quite enjoy fashion, but it’s hard to find something new or different to what I already have. It’s starting to seem very repetitive.

6. Has the exclusivity or price of items you buying changed? Or the kind of luxury brands you buy from?
Yes, lifestyle creep is real. I do buy more expensive items and pricier brands than I have in the past. Again, it’s a function of where I am in my career. I also tend to buy more unique things - limited editions, interesting shapes, etc. because I do like to have a variety in my wardrobe and have standout pieces.

I look forward to reading about other’s luxury evolution!

Reactions: Minimalist_Chic
Started buying in my late 20s. Now in my late 40s.

I started with wallets and SLG then bags, belts, shoes and fine jewelry, in that order. Yes, I still buy from most categories (except shoes) but more focus on FJ now.

The rate stayed the same. I usually purchase luxury items on vacations in Europe (~ once every 1.5 years on average). Prior to my trips, I will assess the gaps in my collection and see whether any item ticks all the boxes and most importantly I fall in love on first sight. For FJ, I purchase locally as I am concerned on the need for after sales services in the longer term.

I do not have a wishlist in the past. Started having one for FJ as I want to build up a cohesive and timeless collection. Also do not want to make expensive mistakes.

As mentioned, I do not really have a wishlist. I am very mindful on the budget I set aside for luxury wants. If the annual budget is not enough, I will accumulate it to the next year. It gives me more time to ponder whether I really want to buy that item. I believe in owning a small collection of items that I really want/love.

I have a small collection of bags ~10 bags. I try to make sure that I rotate and use most of them regularly. Will only buy more when I identify a gap and find the ideal bag to fill that gap.

My shoes collection consists mainly of ferragamo shoes. My heart hurts whenever I think of them. I used to wear them for work pre pandemic. Post pandemic, with hybrid work arrangement, only go office twice weekly. I dress more causally and wear Onitsuka Tigers shoes. They are so comfortable especially when I need to carry laptop to/from office. Probably will declutter and dispose the shoes if my heart permits.

Started buying FJ in recent years. Bags and shoes have poorer CPW as I mainly work from home now. I wear FJ in particular bangles when I work from home so CPW is better. Make me happy whenever I see my arm candy.

I am almost at purse peace with regards to bags. Still missing a weekend bag (must fit a small water bottle and umbrella) and suitable for super causal wear.

For FJ, just getting started. Hopefully can add a few more pieces in the coming few years. I am in my late 40s. I want to build up a small collection to enjoy now and into my retirement. I plan to retire in mid 50s. In my retirement, I will cut down spending on FJ and luxury goods. Will spend more on travelling, experiences and picking up new skills/hobbies.

Yes, I moved on to FJ (VCA) which are more expensive than bags/shoes.