Home & Garden How do you pick your candles?

What's the biggest factor when deciding on a candle?

• the scent

• price (the higher the price, the better the quality)

• scent throw and/or burn time

• brand you're familiar with

Results are only viewable after voting.

GiaNiSu

Nov 7, 2014
Now that we're going into spring, I'm in candle-swap mode, and gravitating towards scents that smell nice (of course), but also ones that "feel" spring-like. So that's made me curious about what matters most when you're picking out a candle. Is it the scent or a brand that you're familiar with?

If it's the scent, then is it only how it smells, or how it makes you feel/the vibe it creates?

I wonder the same thing about candles! I just used to just candles that looked interesting from discount stores (TJ Maxx/Marshalls) but I've been burned (heh) by brands that smell good in the jar, and then terrible when lit (i.e. beautiful fresh lemon that turns into floor polish when burned)

As far as scents go, I tend to like the same things:
Year round = Citrus, vanilla, mint
Spring/Summer = Oceanic/Marine, fruity, floral, coconut
Fall/Winter = Balsam/Fir, Cinnamon, warm/cozy

Reactions: redearthlady
I get a ton of candles as gifts and they range in scents and brands. When I purchase for myself I tend to favor whatever is on sale. :P Recently I've been using LED candles faintly scented with vanilla and $2.00 BH&G wax melts, the latter allows me to try a variety of scents without busting my budget.

I'm picky about scents and certain ones will give me headaches. I also want clean burning ones (e.g. soy with cotton lead-free wicks - like I said, I'm picky). I used to buy Diptyque Baies but now I find that Diptyque candles have a weird chemically sharp note when burned. I tried the fig and the berry/rose candles from Overose but found them underwhelming and also headache inducing.

My favorite candle right now is probably Voluspa Panjore Lychee because the scent is so good, but it doesn't have the best throw.

I'm picky about scents and certain ones will give me headaches. I also want clean burning ones (e.g. soy with cotton lead-free wicks - like I said, I'm picky). I used to buy Diptyque Baies but now I find that Diptyque candles have a weird chemically sharp note when burned. I tried the fig and the berry/rose candles from Overose but found them underwhelming and also headache inducing.

My favorite candle right now is probably Voluspa Panjore Lychee because the scent is so good, but it doesn't have the best throw.

PL is one of my favorite Voluspa scents too. I get the mini travel tins, so I find the throw to be practically non-existent. My other favorite Voluspa scents are Casa Pacifica and Japanese Plum Bloom which are lighter and fresh scents and Mokara which is a white floral.