Hermes Sac a Depeches: 38 vs 41

FameOrFortune

Feb 16, 2024
I am looking to buy my very first Hermes bag: The Sac a Depeches briefcase in either 38 or 41.

This would be my everyday workbag, and would hold the following contents:

- MacBook Pro 14"
- Charger and cables
- Notebook and pens

I'm curious to hear from Sac a Depeche 38 and 41 owners. Which size do you suggest? Bonus: Does anyone have side-by-side images of a 38 and 41?

Thanks so much!

Hey there. I just got a SAD 38 and it fits my macbook pro that measures 12"x8.5" perfectly with a little room to spare on the sides. I would not have wanted a 41, as it would have been too big. What are the actual dimensions of your MBP?

BTW- I carry my MBP, papers, laptop charger, phone charging cable, and 2-3 SLGs to work and the SAD38 works beautifully.

I'm not sure if you had a SAD before but I had not tried one before I got mine and I love it. The handle is very comfortable and the size and shape of the bag is perfect. Mine is in clemence. The only thing I think about is how to store it when I'm not carrying it and I've decided to let it lay on its back so as to avoid adding wear to the handles or the bottom edges.

All right, I tried to make a quick comparison beetween the various SàD :

From top to bottom, you have :
3-42, abyss blue box
2-41, black box
2-38, Ardennes Gold
1-37, Volynka

20240227_205515.jpg

20240227_205544.jpg

My laptop is a 14in Dell for comparison, inside the 2-38 :
20240227_205708.jpg

And inside the 2-41 :
20240227_205739.jpg

In short summary, a 14in laptop
- can fit in a 1-37 bag, but basically that's it, no spae for anything else besides a small notebook
- can fit in a 1-38 SàD, with a few cm to spare, with another gusset to hold cables and a notebook / pens
- can fit quite easily in a 2-41 SàD, with lots of room to spare
- can fit in the 3-42 very easily...I've even used it as a business/overnight bag !

Hope this help !

All right, I tried to make a quick comparison beetween the various SàD :

From top to bottom, you have :
3-42, abyss blue box
2-41, black box
2-38, Ardennes Gold
1-37, Volynka

View attachment 5957011

View attachment 5957012

My laptop is a 14in Dell for comparison, inside the 2-38 :
View attachment 5957015

And inside the 2-41 :
View attachment 5957016

In short summary, a 14in laptop
- can fit in a 1-37 bag, but basically that's it, no spae for anything else besides a small notebook
- can fit in a 1-38 SàD, with a few cm to spare, with another gusset to hold cables and a notebook / pens
- can fit quite easily in a 2-41 SàD, with lots of room to spare
- can fit in the 3-42 very easily...I've even used it as a business/overnight bag !

Hope this help !
Quick question: what does the 1, 2, and 3 mean in front of the sizes?

Quick question: what does the 1, 2, and 3 mean in front of the sizes?
Oh yes, you're right, I forgot : it is the number of gussets or compartments inside the bag; a 2-41 means a 41cm width, with 2 inside compartments + 1 paper compartment (flat compartment, without gussets)

Over the years, Hermès has produced (as far as I know) :

3-45
3-42
3-41
2-41
3-38
2-38
1-37

And now the smaller sizes (24, 21...)

Oh yes, you're right, I forgot : it is the number of gussets or compartments inside the bag; a 2-41 means a 41cm width, with 2 inside compartments + 1 paper compartment (flat compartment, without gussets)

Over the years, Hermès has produced (as far as I know) :

3-45
3-42
3-41
2-41
3-38
2-38
1-37

And now the smaller sizes (24, 21...)

This is amazing. Could you share pictures of your bleu abyss 42 please? Such a rare size and colour! :love:

Sorry, I was away for a bit and just catching up...

I picked up a 2-38 from Rebag. It's a SQUARE C code (1999), so it has some light-to-medium scratches, but not nearly as aged as other bags I saw of a similar vintage. I'm happy (and the price was right).

This is the first time I've seen/handled a Sac a Depeches in person. It's fantastic! This is my first real bag, and I was struck by the weight and quality of the bag. Oh, and the size for a 14-inch MacBook Pro is absolutely perfect.

Thanks @Hermezzy and @Koucs for the fantastic advice!

Okay, next questions:
1. Is it worth trying to address the scratches? I expect a working briefcase to get scratches as I travel, but I still want to know if there's anything I can do.
2. Perhaps related to the above, is it worth sending the bag to Hermes for service? Again, nothing is wrong, but it's been 25 years and maybe the leather could use some reconditioning?

Thanks, everyone!

Attachments

Reactions: Hermezzy
Sorry, I was away for a bit and just catching up...

I picked up a 2-38 from Rebag. It's a SQUARE C code (1999), so it has some light-to-medium scratches, but not nearly as aged as other bags I saw of a similar vintage. I'm happy (and the price was right).

This is the first time I've seen/handled a Sac a Depeches in person. It's fantastic! This is my first real bag, and I was struck by the weight and quality of the bag. Oh, and the size for a 14-inch MacBook Pro is absolutely perfect.

Thanks @Hermezzy and @Koucs for the fantastic advice!

Okay, next questions:
1. Is it worth trying to address the scratches? I expect a working briefcase to get scratches as I travel, but I still want to know if there's anything I can do.
2. Perhaps related to the above, is it worth sending the bag to Hermes for service? Again, nothing is wrong, but it's been 25 years and maybe the leather could use some reconditioning?

Thanks, everyone!

Congratulations!

Once others have jumped in and congratulated you too, either, others will join in on the 38 v 42 choice for others or if it goes OT I'll close the thread

Check out the official spa thread for info, it's too far OT for this thread

Reactions: FameOrFortune