Hermes RTW

For me H RTW is outrageously expensive and I wouldn't choose to spend my money on H basics, wonderful though the quality may be. You can get good quality basics elsewhere. Of course, if money is not an issue than it's a different matter.

I also think that wearing an outfit that's the same brand head-to-toe is a bit much, but that's just me.

If I'm going for something that pricy I would rather invest in a few H statement pieces that stand out - printed twillaine tops or dresses, anything leather or leather-trimmed, a gorgeous cashmere coat, anything in bright/non-monochrome colors...

I like their pieces which fill a need that I wouldn’t necessarily get anywhere else - for me, especially the twillaine cardigans. They work for me most seasons here in NY - as a top layer in A/C, as an outer layer when it’s cool, as a layer under a coat when it’s cold. Also, as I tend to wear a lot of color, they tie my outfits together.

Very good points. Basically, choosing designers (such as H) for statement pieces in the areas they do best, whether that is a distinctive shape, fabric or use of color, and buying good basics from non-designer labels. One thing I do appreciate about Hermes is that the clothes are not covered in logos.

I have questions for those of you who shop H RTW regularly. I have been buying H bags, silks, accessories, home goods, equestrian gear—weirdly, pretty much across the store except H RTW for years, with the exception of a top or sweater here or there. I work at home and my current wardrobe is mostly high-quality separates in the range of Lafayette 148, Theory, Max Mara etc. ( $450-$700 for pants and shirts, $2,000 leathers and coats, etc.) I’d like to shift my wardrobe more toward designer RTW and am wondering the best place to start with H. Do you pick random things you like, or have you built a capsule-type wardrobe based on a few jackets or pant combos? Do you have a method? Do you shop other designers also or is H primary? Any thoughts you have would be much appreciated. :smile:
So far I limit my purchase to 1-2 pieces per season. There are probably more pieces I'd like to try if I can set a bigger budget. Maybe in the future! Twillaine sweaters are most iconic imho.

So far I limit my purchase to 1-2 pieces per season. There are probably more pieces I'd like to try if I can set a bigger budget. Maybe in the future! Twillaine sweaters are most iconic imho.

This is helpful. I’ve never operated in terms of a seasonal budget or quota before, but after my most recent trip to H, I am getting the feeling that I need to. Maybe I need to make some sort of a wardrobe plan and then decide how many pieces I’ll fill each season.

Reactions: klynneann
This is helpful. I’ve never operated in terms of a seasonal budget or quota before, but after my most recent trip to H, I am getting the feeling that I need to. Maybe I need to make some sort of a wardrobe plan and then decide how many pieces I’ll fill each season.
Try some pieces and see how you like them! I like many things at H so I really need to slow myself down. Plus recently I got a Chanel fever ...

I have questions for those of you who shop H RTW regularly. I have been buying H bags, silks, accessories, home goods, equestrian gear—weirdly, pretty much across the store except H RTW for years, with the exception of a top or sweater here or there. I work at home and my current wardrobe is mostly high-quality separates in the range of Lafayette 148, Theory, Max Mara etc. ( $450-$700 for pants and shirts, $2,000 leathers and coats, etc.) I’d like to shift my wardrobe more toward designer RTW and am wondering the best place to start with H. Do you pick random things you like, or have you built a capsule-type wardrobe based on a few jackets or pant combos? Do you have a method? Do you shop other designers also or is H primary? Any thoughts you have would be much appreciated. :smile:

I have been fortunate to have several pieces of Hermes clothing which are mostly underpinnings , leather jackets
& coats.
Personally do not find that their cashmere clothing wears as well as I would like but nonetheless the pieces I have
work.
I would suggest you choose an accent color in either a top , jacket or coat. It's fun to have that unexpected
pop of color & besides H does the most beautiful colors.
The quality of most H clothing is unsurpassed & for the most part will last you many years of wearing.
H clothing also offers that "unexpected detail" which is unique & interesting
Every season the collection will vary. Looks like the last collection is chock full of leathers. If leather has appeal to you,
have a look at the last fashion show.
Also, H clothing does go on sale. It is not always the current collection but the pieces are timeless.
I like the concept of hi low clothing & look at various designers to see what appeals to me.
Dior a couple of seasons ago did some very beautiful jackets & dresses which I am happy to still wear & enjoy.
Don't limit yourself... exploring is so much fun!!

Last edited:
Try some pieces and see how you like them! I like many things at H so I really need to slow myself down. Plus recently I got a Chanel fever ...

I hear you! I think my SA is having a grand time because I love everything he brings me to try. And don’t even get me started on the shoes—I will have Oz in every color. :smile:

I have been fortunate to have several pieces of Hermes clothing which are mostly underpinnings , leather jackets
& coats.
Personally do not find that their cashmere clothing wears as well as I would like but nonetheless the pieces I have
work.
I would suggest you choose an accent color in either a top , jacket or coat. It's fun to have that unexpected
pop of color & besides H does the most beautiful colors.
The quality of most H clothing is unsurpassed & for the most part will last you many years of wearing.
H clothing also offers that "unexpected detail" which is unique & interesting
Every season the collection will vary. Looks like the last collection is chock full of leathers. If leather has appeal to you,
have a look at the last fashion show.
Also, H clothing does go on sale. It is not always the current collection but the pieces are timeless.
I like the concept of hi low clothing & look at various designers to see what appeals to me.
Dior a couple of seasons ago did some very beautiful jackets & dresses which I am happy to still wear & enjoy.
Don't limit yourself... exploring is so much fun!!

Thank you very much for the information about the cashmere. I was wondering about that. I have the Rocabar poncho but that is 90% Merino and only 10% Cashmere so it seems to be doing well so far. I love your thoughts about going with H leathers. I do love the RTW leather for this recent collection. Since that is an H specialty, with bags and silks, that may be something to focus on there... Maybe work my way through the icons—Chanel jacket, Bar suit at Dior, etc. (That would be an interesting thread, to list the iconic pieces from each house.) :smile:

I hear you! I think my SA is having a grand time because I love everything he brings me to try. And don’t even get me started on the shoes—I will have Oz in every color. :smile:

Thank you very much for the information about the cashmere. I was wondering about that. I have the Rocabar poncho but that is 90% Merino and only 10% Cashmere so it seems to be doing well so far. I love your thoughts about going with H leathers. I do love the RTW leather for this recent collection. Since that is an H specialty, with bags and silks, that may be something to focus on there... Maybe work my way through the icons—Chanel jacket, Bar suit at Dior, etc. (That would be an interesting thread, to list the iconic pieces from each house.) :smile:

You are most welcome.
As mentioned the H leathers are workhorses for me. I have several from seasons past & always look to add
another especially if the color is "luscious". Unlike the cashmere & other fabrics that H uses, no worries
about pulls, pilling, etc.
H clothes are expensive for sure, but once you experience the quality & the luxury ,
& choose the pieces that will work in a lifestyle, you will be happy to have taken the plunge.
Over the years, I have no regrets with any of the H clothing I have purchased.
Pulling the trigger, is not easy, but pays off in cost per wearing...LOL
As far as H shoes go, I'm a big fan of the Oran sandal.. I have several pairs, they wear
extremely well & last forever. I try to add a pair per season if the color or skin appeals to me.
I purchased the Victoire shoe & wore it with a Dior dress & loved the look....
So indeed you can have fun finding a "great shoe" & H does have them.
Also the styles are classic & they always look right & good year after year, IMO..
Enjoy your hunt & your suggestion about the "icons" could be fun.
The Bar suit from Dior from any collection is always a stand out!

Last edited: