Hermes Cafe Bon Temps~Good Times Cafe

Appreciate very much your empathic statements wrt koalas. :flowers::flowers::flowers: Koalas just eat eucalyptus leaves and on good years with sufficient rainfall, they can get most of their water from the tips of green leaves. Research from the Univ. of Sydney -- if I recall correctly --found that koalas lap rainwater from the irregular peeling bark and peeling of their home trees. And pans of water attached to trees as a water delivery system are always appreciated during dry weather (nighttime videos show them slacking their thirst). Pans of water on the ground may facilitate predators.

Eucalyptus is toxic, the leaf content is poisonous. Koalas require prolonged rest (sleep) to have the energy to digest it. Joeys get the gut bacteria that does this from their mothers. Nobody else eats eucalyptus so koalas have no competition for food. But eucalypt is not a high energy food product (like lettuce leaves for us, but we have salad dressings to compensate. So koalas munch, sleep, much, sleep, thru the night (mostly).

I didn't know that pandas have declined in numbers but it makes sense. Seems like so many species are declining.
Good to know about the toxic eucalyptus leaves. More for the koalas. I do like eucalyptus in Vicks vaporubs at lease when DDs were little and had a cold.

It’d seem that pandas have a lot in common with koalas in terms of eating habits. Pandas eat bamboos and they just eat all day then sleep and then eat again. There are less than 2,500 pandas in the world, just under 1,900 in the wild. There was no urban planning which destroyed a lot of bamboo forests so panda numbers were dwindling. Efforts were made through breeding programs and panda exchange to visit zoos around the world. These twin babies were born here when the parents were visiting Toronto about 5 years ago. We signed up DDs for summer camp in 2015 and 2016 so they got to see the parent pandas and then babies when they arrived in 2016. They have moved to other cities since.

64CCE1AA-639E-4098-BEEF-A709A29FC8B7.jpeg

Good to know about the toxic eucalyptus leaves. More for the koalas. I do like eucalyptus in Vicks vaporubs at lease when DDs were little and had a cold.

It’d seem that pandas have a lot in common with koalas in terms of eating habits. Pandas eat bamboos and they just eat all day then sleep and then eat again. There are less than 2,500 pandas in the world, just under 1,900 in the wild. There was no urban planning which destroyed a lot of bamboo forests so panda numbers were dwindling. Efforts were made through breeding programs and panda exchange to visit zoos around the world. These twin babies were born here when the parents were visiting Toronto about 5 years ago. We signed up DDs for summer camp in 2015 and 2016 so they got to see the parent pandas and then babies when they arrived in 2016. They have moved to other cities since.

View attachment 5084067
I've only seen pandas from a distance. Sometimes they're on tv when it's birthing time. These guys here are cute. Thanks for the picture, FF.

That 2019 fire was so devastating. Our government sent a number of firefighters to help out. We get a lot of forest fires in the north of our province but our animals run pretty fast. Poor koalas—they’re really not made to outrun modern development or fires. May be a sanctuary can be created? I saw a documentary about how India has Project Rhino to protect the one-horn rhinoceros from extinction.
Some U.S. firefighters also went to Australia during the bushfires. In fact, I think one US firefighter died during a plane accident. I saw some footage of the fires and people reacting which was unbelievable. Apparently the air got so hot everything would ignite at a certain point -- everything.

I read that sanctuaries would be a way protect koalas. The implication of this statement is that most wild koalas would be curtains [but that's not a problem] because the sanctuaries would become koala "reserves." The word "sanctuary" is not defined. Are sanctuaries meant to a permanent refuge or places where rescued koalas get rehabilitated and released into the wild? It's not clear.

Now and then I see pictures of koalas looking out the windows at the trees from their perch inside rescue operation (which do rehabilitation and release). It's hard not to read longing into this. Are sanctuaries a neat little "fix" to avoid doing the hard work of examining trade-offs between conflicting parties like developers and animal advocates and figuring out how to compromise?

Some koalas -- like the 3 legged Triumph -- can't make it in the wild so he needs a refuge. He's thrilled hopping along using his bright red prothesis. He doesn't know what he's missing. But other koalas who miss their true home get antsy just like people who want to get the hell out of Dodge. The rescue organizations know such koalas are well enough to be released.

Oh my! These poor Joeys. Not only can they not outrun the fires or lose their habitat due to human development but they also get bullied by grown male koalas or fall off their mum’s pouch. It’s a wonder they have not gone extinct before now. Thank goodness they are still around and there are kind caregivers and organizations to help. That’s so sweet that they can hang out with other koalas their age or have other female koalas to nurture them. Let’s hope they don’t dwindle in numbers like pandas. Do koalas eat anything else other than eucalyptus leaves?
Apparently koalas bite each other as a form of communication. Triumph's carer said he bit her. Young koalas tumble and bite b/c it's how males will eventually establish their own territory (with females!)

I know of a cute video where koalas get into a tussle and roll downhill onto the highway. It's like two teddies having a tussle. It's not violent fighting. The one who was weaker got up and ran away. There's another video where there's a bit of a struggle for dominance between two koalas in a facility but it has a very satisfactory (happy) ending. And another one where a male koala chases a guy giving a talk on them -- presumably to impress the female in the next tree. I will look for these. There's a human element to these tussle, both mammals have similar reactions.

Last edited:

Happy Sunday! That video was hilarious! Thanks for sharing, @eagle1002us. Seems climbing/clawing your way to the top is not limited to just humans. Lol.

I’m currently watching Animalogic’s Koalas: Why stupidity is a survival strategy video that came up after I finished watching your link. Fascinating.

@etoupebirkin, how’s your DD’s shawl coming along? Please share pic. I, for one, can’t wait to see the finished shawl. Such lovely colors.

Happy Sunday! That video was hilarious! Thanks for sharing, @eagle1002us. Seems climbing/clawing your way to the top is not limited to just humans. Lol.

I’m currently watching Animalogic’s Koalas: Why stupidity is a survival strategy video that came up after I finished watching your link. Fascinating.

@etoupebirkin, how’s your DD’s shawl coming along? Please share pic. I, for one, can’t wait to see the finished shawl. Such lovely colors.
Still working on it.... ;)

Reactions: Fabfashion

So glad you liked the video Fabfashion! I must have watched it 1,000 times, it's exactly about climbing your way to the top! (and biting your opponent's butt when necessary).

So glad you liked the video Fabfashion! I must have watched it 1,000 times, it's exactly about climbing your way to the top! (and biting your opponent's butt when necessary).
Seems koalas are quite persistent little creatures. I remembered the video where the little female kept wanting this one tree and she kept getting chased away by the bigger male koala. She made the most heartbreaking sound. Persistence paid off and she became the big kahuna of that tree. Lol.

Reactions: Ms Stressa
543b781b5d4705106af4d&oe=60C5B960
I know it was posted on Saturday, but the "Koala Aggression" video is perfect for Monday!

I work in events, and now that the world is opening up, Mondays have gone from tumbleweeds and cobwebs to 20 calls per hour and every call marked urgent. I need a recording of the koala yelling for my voice mail!
Seems koalas are quite persistent little creatures. I remembered the video where the little female kept wanting this one tree and she kept getting chased away by the bigger male koala. She made the most heartbreaking sound. Persistence paid off and she became the big kahuna of that tree. Lol.
The little female koala had the most magnificent wail at the end of the tree fight. I practice my wail every now and then but she is a diva compared with me. Probably regularly getting thrown out of trees by a big fat male does the trick. She's shaking the second time that happens. That's a sign of koala rage. (That's what a koala expert said. I'm pretty sure the expert saw this video and was deeply impressed). It's very satisfying to me that koalas have strong emotions that humans can identify with.

Fabfashion, when koalas want to scare someone off they make these horrible throaty calls that seem unbelievable coming from a living teddy bear. I have more videos coming.