Help with identifying the year/collection of vintage Hermes skirt

Mar 30, 2020
Hi! I hope this is okay to post here and not too off-topic.

I saw this vintage Hermes silk skirt on The Real Real yesterday and snapped it up immediately. The draping and asymmetrical design are so beautiful, I can't wait to see it in person.

I was wondering if any Hermes experts here are familiar with their clothing collections and could help identify it or roughly estimate the era it is from? TRR's description only says "vintage" and reverse Google image searching turned up nothing.

Thanks! :heart:

Screenshot 2023-05-16 at 2.56.54 PM.pngScreenshot 2023-05-16 at 2.57.00 PM.pngScreenshot 2023-05-16 at 2.57.08 PM.png

@papertiger might know. I’m not familiar with the history of H RTW, but I recall bubble skirts that felt a bit like this around 1991. . . (Of course, i know this is not a bubble skirt). This also kind of reminds me of even earlier capsule collection pieces like when Donna Karan and Louis Dell Olio did Ann Klein. I do think it predates Martin Margiela 1997-2003 ish, bc somewhere in there, the miniskirt waned in popularity. But the mini did resurge around 2023 (I seem to recall everyone having to repurchase one after we were all sure we would never wear one ever again). But, I could be totally wrong, and someone could say it was definitive JPG. Sorry I am useless

I did wanted to post that I do like the skirt very much. Congrats :smile:

ETA: at one point, maybe early 1990s?, valentino did ruching. Maybe it is from around then

Last edited:
Hi! I hope this is okay to post here and not too off-topic.

I saw this vintage Hermes silk skirt on The Real Real yesterday and snapped it up immediately. The draping and asymmetrical design are so beautiful, I can't wait to see it in person.

I was wondering if any Hermes experts here are familiar with their clothing collections and could help identify it or roughly estimate the era it is from? TRR's description only says "vintage" and reverse Google image searching turned up nothing.

Thanks! :heart:

View attachment 5783771View attachment 5783772View attachment 5783773

Probably Martin Margiela era, don't think it's JPG.

I have a couple of pieces from them, I can probably tell from the label

@papertiger might know. I’m not familiar with the history of H RTW, but I recall bubble skirts that felt a bit like this around 1991. . . (Of course, i know this is not a bubble skirt). This also kind of reminds me of even earlier capsule collection pieces like when Donna Karan and Louis Dell Olio did Ann Klein. I do think it predates Martin Margiela 1997-2003 ish, bc somewhere in there, the miniskirt waned in popularity. But the mini did resurge around 2023 (I seem to recall everyone having to repurchase one after we were all sure we would never wear one ever again). But, I could be totally wrong, and someone could say it was definitive JPG. Sorry I am useless

I did wanted to post that I do like the skirt very much. Congrats :smile:

ETA: at one point, maybe early 1990s?, valentino did ruching. Maybe it is from around then
Not useless haha! Thanks for giving me a jumping off point and for tagging papertiger! I'm going to sleuth the internet for 90s Hermes collections and see what I can find.

• Love
Reactions: 880
Saw this thread