Help me decide on a color/size!

May 17, 2006
Planning on purchasing a pre-loved YSL Niki, but I'm getting caught up on making the final decision...would love any thoughts/guidance! (I did post this in the YSL Niki thread in the YSL forum, but I'm not sure how much traffic it gets over there.)

• Size: Medium (11” x 7.8” x 3.3”) vs large (12.5” x 9” x 3.5”)? I'm really torn on this one and keep going back and forth. I'm fairly petite - only 5'2" and about a size 0-2, but I also do like big bags. I initially thought medium because it seems to be the most popular size, but I'm second-guessing it since I do like big bags. I have a toddler and a part of me wonders if it's worth having some extra space to account for her things. Also, the dimensions of the mediums seem to be the same as the dimensions of the Mulberry Medium Lily, which I have two of, so maybe it makes more sense for me to get something different? But I also don't want something that going to be too big - as much as I do like big bags, I don't want to be overwhelmed by a bag.
  • Color: I know this is highly personal, but I'm torn between a red medium, black croc medium, and peacock blue large.
    • I really love the idea of a red everyday bag and have wanted one for years, but I'm also highly picky about shades of red and worry that it won't be quite right upon arrival (don't have an opportunity to see it in-person before hand and it's final sale if I get it). It looks good on screen, and I would be happy with the color if it looks the same in person, but still, I know somethings things look different in-person than on screen.
      • red niki.jpg
    • There is a black leather croc with black hardware in a medium size that I'm also considering. I'm a huge sucker for black leather and black hardware, so I know I would love this one. I also don't have anything in croc print and have wanted something for ages, so I love the idea of black on black AND croc print. But I already have the medium Lou Lou in black leather and black hardware, and the medium Niki is a similar size so I'm not sure it makes sense to have two shoulder bags of a similar size, from the same designer, both in black on black. I also worry about black hardware - as much as I adore it, I'm also always worried about it chipping, which is why my black on black Lou Lou tends to be more of a "sometimes" bag. (Although maybe I could get over it if I have two black on black bags - one for everyday and one for more occasional use? I really really do love black on black so so much!) Plus I also have a black Chanel jumbo..it's in gold hardware, not black, but it's yet another black shoulder bag. And I just have a fair number of black bags in general it feels like maybe I should get a different color.
      • croc niki.jpg
      • I also came across a black croc print in Nubuck and aged silver hardware. I'd still get the croc print that I have been itching for, and the silver hardware would alleviate any concerns I have about chipped black hardware. But I'm not sure how I feel about Nubuck. I mean, I really like it in general, and I'm a very textural person, so I do love the feel of Nubuck. But I'm not sure if it's appropriate for everyday, all weathers, and I'm not sure if I would feel weird carrying it in spring/summer since Nubuck has always felt like a fall/winter material to me.
        • nubuck niki.jpg
    • Also considering a large in peacock blue. I think my hesitation here is with the size (again, do I go for medium or large?), and also not being able to see the color in-person before buying. From all the photos I've seen, I think I will love the color. It looks to be this kind of deep teal, bluish-green color that I love - totally up my ally! But also, if it leans too green in-person, I know it will not be love for me. I love blues and teals and blue-greens, but I'm not much of a true-green gal and I worry that it may be too green-green for me in-person.
      • green niki.jpg
So, with all that in mind, what would you recommend I do? Not going to lie - a part of me is like, "get them all!" 🤣 But I'm really trying to commit to other financial goals this year, so that's not realistically in the cards for me right now (though I would *maybe* consider getting two - in in each size? Not sure if that really makes sense to do...) In absence of the option of just getting it all, I'm just not sure what to do!

First, dramaprincess, I wouldn’t recommend the bag in nubuk leather.
It’s not the kind of leather you can carry in all weathers.
On the other hand, I wouldn’t wear a black bag in Spring or Summer unless it’s a nylon or cotton bag, but that’s just a personal opinion.
Now, there is the peacock blue and the red colours.
I love red bags ans own a few. All bought on line.
Of course, I understand your point: what if it’s not the right shade of red I like…?
Could you return it if you are disappointed when it arrives?
As for the size, what I would consider is the depth of the bag.
Will 3,5 be okay for you?

First of all, I love the level of detail in your thought process bc it sounds exactly like something I would be grappling with myself (and have on previous occasions). And i can see why this would be such a tough decision. What is your gut telling you? Which brings most feeling of joy when you look at? I would decide more based on color than size. I am petite too and not afraid of large bags (including the oversized YSL icare) but use a variety of bag sizes down to tiny. Color usually my dominant buying motive. I love teal/peacock in general but agree that bag appears like it might be more on green side (so hard to tell in pics). I love all shades of green but do prefer teal that is more on the blue side. I am not usually a red person (though last bag I bought has a red print) but I feel this shade is fun and will bring you joy.

Medium (11” x 7.8” x 3.3”) vs large (12.5” x 9” x 3.5”)? I'm really torn on this one and keep going back and forth. I'm fairly petite - only 5'2" and about a size 0-2,

The large is really large, yet not enough to really hold a toddlers things. I don’t think you want to put toys and sippy cups in there. So I vote medium. Plus, your toddler will grow up, and a medium is a more classic size that is still quite large.

I'm not sure how I feel about Nubuck.

This is a no. You do not want nubuck. If you wanted it, you would have one by now. Nubuck is entirely different than leather. Here is a piece of furniture upholstered in Loro Piana nubuck. It’s closer to suede than leather, and some of my guests think it looks velvety. Plus, I don’t have a toddler; I do have it stain proofed; and I would still want to shoot myself if I spilled red wine or marinara sauce. . . Lol

IMG_5151.jpeg

leans too green in-person, I know it will not be love for me

It is way too green for a person who worries about a teal blue being too green. I have made this mistake myself. And, I love green; I love teal; and, I prefer a teal that is more blue than green. . . I totally understand this conundrum :biggrin:

considering. I'm a huge sucker for black leather and black hardware, so I know I would love this one. I also don't have anything in croc print and have wanted something for ages, so I love the idea of black on black AND croc print

I vote this one. :smile:

By the way, there is no right answer, so I suggest trusting your gut feeling. Simply from reading your post, I got the impression that you would love black croc with black hw.

Last edited:
First, dramaprincess, I wouldn’t recommend the bag in nubuk leather.
It’s not the kind of leather you can carry in all weathers.
On the other hand, I wouldn’t wear a black bag in Spring or Summer unless it’s a nylon or cotton bag, but that’s just a personal opinion.
Now, there is the peacock blue and the red colours.
I love red bags ans own a few. All bought on line.
Of course, I understand your point: what if it’s not the right shade of red I like…?
Could you return it if you are disappointed when it arrives?
As for the size, what I would consider is the depth of the bag.
Will 3,5 be okay for you?
Thank you! I think you're right re. nubuck - nixing that option! I don't generally have a problem wearing black in spring or summer, but I am trying to limit the black bags coming in because it does feel like I have so many. I do feel like red can be so hard to judge on-line...I do really like the shade of red as it appear on my screen though. It's not returnable, unfortunately, so I don't know.
First of all, I love the level of detail in your thought process bc it sounds exactly like something I would be grappling with myself (and have on previous occasions). And i can see why this would be such a tough decision. What is your gut telling you? Which brings most feeling of joy when you look at? I would decide more based on color than size. I am petite too and not afraid of large bags (including the oversized YSL icare) but use a variety of bag sizes down to tiny. Color usually my dominant buying motive. I love teal/peacock in general but agree that bag appears like it might be more on green side (so hard to tell in pics). I love all shades of green but do prefer teal that is more on the blue side. I am not usually a red person (though last bag I bought has a red print) but I feel this shade is fun and will bring you joy.
Thank you - I'm definitely a details person! Color is usually my dominant buying motive as well, but I'm getting caught up in all the details and overthinking things. I think the advice to choose based on the most feeling of joy is a good one. I think I need to step away for a day or two to clear my mind of all the details and what-ifs and then come back and go on gut instinct.
The large is really large, yet not enough to really hold a toddlers things. I don’t think you want to put toys and sippy cups in there. So I vote medium. Plus, your toddler will grow up, and a medium is a more classic size that is still quite large.

This is a no. You do not want nubuck. If you wanted it, you would have one by now. Nubuck is entirely different than leather. Here is a piece of furniture upholstered in Loro Piana nubuck. It’s closer to suede than leather, and some of my guests think it looks velvety. Plus, I don’t have a toddler; I do have it stain proofed; and I would still want to shoot myself if I spilled red wine or marinara sauce. . . Lol

View attachment 5962834

It is way too green for a person who worries about a teal blue being too green. I have made this mistake myself. And, I love green; I love teal; and, I prefer a teal that is more blue than green. . . I totally understand this conundrum :biggrin:

I vote this one. :smile:

By the way, there is no right answer, so I suggest trusting your gut feeling. Simply from reading your post, I got the impression that you would love black croc with black hw.
Really good point re. the large not really being large enough for all personal and toddler things! I do tend to just carry a much larger bag or tote when I need to carry her things - larger bags than the large Niki for sure. And also a good point of nubuck with a toddler - didn't think of that one! The teal is so tricky - I love teals so much that normally, a bag in the teal family would win every time, but the possibility of this being too green is really leaving me hesitant. And the red - I really do like that red IF it's the same in person. I feel like I've been disappointed by reds in-person before, so I'm super cautious now. You're right that I would love the black croc with black hw - I know I would! I'm just not sure because I already have black on black bags and also have so many black bags in general - I'm just not sure if I want/need another black bag, even though I do know I would love that one.

• Love
Reactions: 880
Just wanted to come back and update - I decided to go for the black croc with black hardware. While I really do love the idea of a red bag, without being 100% sure it was the right shade of red, it felt like too big of a risk to go with that one. Plus, I realized that I have bought and sold a fair number of red bags because they weren't quite right, and while I've always thought it was a shade issue (and I do think it is, in part, because i truly am so picky about shades of red), I'm also wondering if maybe a red bag is more of a fantasy-self type of thing than something that truly fits me? I don't know, but it ultimately felt like going for the red wouldn't be the best move. The large teal one still calls to me, but again, without truly knowing how the color looks in-person, it just felt like too much of a risk. There are some colors I can see on screen and know that I'll love them, even if it varies slightly in-person, but this wasn't one of them. I just know that if it leaned too far green in-person, I wouldn't be in love with it. The black on black felt like maybe it was a silly choice because I already have so many black bags, but I don't have any croc-print bags, and I know that I will love the black on black. I'm excited to get it, and I hope I made the right choice!

I think this is a good choice. I almost added another post after my original post also suggesting the black might be better for an everyday bag than the red. It just seemed like you were excited about the red. I think the black with croc print provides a more unique detail and I love the black hardware bc you carry wear with any jewelry or accessories. Hope you love it when it arrives!

• Love
Reactions: dramaprincess713
I think this is a good choice. I almost added another post after my original post also suggesting the black might be better for an everyday bag than the red. It just seemed like you were excited about the red. I think the black with croc print provides a more unique detail and I love the black hardware bc you carry wear with any jewelry or accessories. Hope you love it when it arrives!
I'm definitely excited about the idea of a red bag. There's just something about a woman carrying a red bag as an everyday bag and making a statement in that way that speaks to me. But I've never quite "connected" to my attempts at an everyday red bag. I currently have two red bags - one that is on the smaller side and is really more of an occasion bag and also has a great deal of sentimental value and the Gucci Soho Disco, which oddly, doesn't even really register as red to me. I'm not sure if that makes any sense, but I guess I carry the Gucci so much more for function, largely during travel, so I obviously know it's red and appreciate the pop of color, but it's not a RED bag to me the way I envision that woman carrying an everyday red bag. All that to say that I just didn't think it was wise to spend the money on something that might just be trying to fulfill a fantasy...I still want to find that red bag that really speaks to me, but I think it needs to be only with bags I can see in-person and return if needed.

I am quite excited about the black on black! I agree that the croc print provides unique detail and will differentiate it from my current black bags, and I am so in love with black hardware. It should be arriving this week!