Help me decide if I should upgrade my Engagement ring

Should I upgrade

• Yes

Votes: 19 35.8%
  • No

Votes: 34 64.2%

• Total voters
Is it just me or is your 1.65 really similar in size to this 2ct you’re considering? Like if you eyeball it and not think about the number “2”.

Carat weight aside, some stones are spready and some are not.

If it were me upgrading, I would would want visual impact as well. What do your eyes tell you?

Hi yes your right it’s very similar in size, it’s just over .50 carat more than mine.

Congratulations on your upcoming anniversary! I agree w/ @essiedub ’s comment above. The cut quality of your current diamond appears to be better than the proposed stone, which appears to be dark/dead in the center. This could be due to the angle of the photo or dirt, but it could also be the result of less-then-ideal proportions and angles that don’t work well to reflect light through the stone. Cut quality is the number one factor in how bright and sparkly a diamond appears under various lighting. Jewelry store lighting is specifically designed to make even poorly cut diamonds light bright and sparkly and should not be used to gauge diamond quality. A better barometer is to view diamonds in regular, every day lighting (dull office lighting, shade, sun, etc.). An “excellent” cut grade per the lab report does not in and of itself guarantee an well cut diamond. Before you proceed, I’d recommend researching cut quality…which should not be confused with the cut grade from the lab report (which are often regarded as being overly broad ranges), or worse yet from an appraisal or gemologist or jeweler’s report, which are just opinions and are not nearly as reliable as lab reports from independent, third party labs (with GIA and AGS being the most valuable). Settings are are simple to change and a good jeweler should offer to reset the diamond into the setting of your choice (or even sell you the diamond loose so you can have it set elsewhere). Good luck!

Congratulations on your upcoming anniversary! I agree w/ @essiedub ’s comment above. The cut quality of your current diamond appears to be better than the proposed stone, which appears to be dark/dead in the center. This could be due to the angle of the photo or dirt, but it could also be the result of less-then-ideal proportions and angles that don’t work well to reflect light through the stone. Cut quality is the number one factor in how bright and sparkly a diamond appears under various lighting. Jewelry store lighting is specifically designed to make even poorly cut diamonds light bright and sparkly and should not be used to gauge diamond quality. A better barometer is to view diamonds in regular, every day lighting (dull office lighting, shade, sun, etc.). An “excellent” cut grade per the lab report does not in and of itself guarantee an well cut diamond. Before you proceed, I’d recommend researching cut quality…which should not be confused with the cut grade from the lab report (which are often regarded as being overly broad ranges), or worse yet from an appraisal or gemologist or jeweler’s report, which are just opinions and are not nearly as reliable as lab reports from independent, third party labs (with GIA and AGS being the most valuable). Settings are are simple to change and a good jeweler should offer to reset the diamond into the setting of your choice (or even sell you the diamond loose so you can have it set elsewhere). Good luck!

Thanks so much for such good advice, I always find it hard to know if a diamond has a good cut and you’re right they all look good in the jewellery store.

The top stone has much better cut (brighter and more lively). The bottom one looks dull, and appears to have much leakage.
The way to judge the cut quality of a round brilliant stone, other than inspection under ambient lighting, is to look at its cut parameters per its AGS or GIA graded certificate (assuming stone has excellent symmetry). However, you cannot rely on the cut spec and grading (color and clarity) if the grading is not AGS or GIA. E color graded by non-AGS or non-GIA can be lower (or much lower).
Ask AME for help or visit pricescope.
As for upgrading size from 1.65 ct to 2.5 or less, the visual difference (without placing both stones side by side) is not enough to waste money on changing setting. Perhaps, go down by 1-3 color grade (I mean GIA graded color) to get the size up to 3ct or close to it, in order to see a more readily noticeable difference.
Lastly, a great cut stone makes it appear larger and more more lively. Most important is cut, then size and color.

Attachments

• CD82F49B-509F-43BE-993B-E038E1E7F8FB.jpeg
    CD82F49B-509F-43BE-993B-E038E1E7F8FB.jpeg
    268.2 KB · Views: 97
Hi I did end up getting the bigger one, I think it must of been the angle I took the picture because it sparkles a bit more than my old diamond.
For future reference, the cut is so important and it would have been helpful if you would have posted the table, depth, crown and pavilion angles off of the GIA report and we could have helped you know if it was well cut or not.