handbag for interviewing

I would skip the tote/bag and get a nice portfolio. That's just my opinion.

But - if you're thinking of Coach...I got a leather book bag (tote) at the Coach outlet for $189. It's black and has the coach lining.

mariesmist said:
Hi, Im new here! I just started getting interested in bags and have been reading the forum.

So I'm graduating from nursing school in June and will be interviewing in Aug/Sept. I need help choosing an appropriate handbag. I want it to be big enough to fit a normal-size portfolio (12X10)for my resumes, my wallet, keys, and some makeup. I want it to look professional but not boring, because I am spending money on it. And since my interviewer will almost def be female, I have to strike a balance between good taste yet not scream high maintenance. I'd like to spend about $250 or less since I really doubt I'll be using it for much else.

I like the Kenneth Cole Hole-Hearted in black, but since it'll be end of the summer, would black be too dark? or the Nordstrom brand hobo in brown?

Any suggestions?

FYI, if you are graduating in june from nursing school, you really should be interviewing now. alot of hospitals will prehire with the condition that you pass your boards. if you wait until august, you will be competing with the december class. you want to get your foot in the door right away. good luck;)

doulosforhim said:
FYI, if you are graduating in june from nursing school, you really should be interviewing now. alot of hospitals will prehire with the condition that you pass your boards. if you wait until august, you will be competing with the december class. you want to get your foot in the door right away. good luck;)

hi! yes, i remembered that faculty told us to start interviewing in april after i posted that. but is now too early? people in my class are saying that most hospitals won't hold your position until june. i still have to find out what hospital has what policies regarding practice before getting a license.

about the bag/no bag opinion - i interviewed after i got my first degree, and i carried a small plain black tote that didn't fit my portfolio, and it was a hassle to have to carry the portfolio in one hand while getting to and from the interview site by public transportation. i would've skipped carrying any type of bag but i can't seem to travel lightly, esp in winter with gloves and all.

but i would def have it out before sitting down with the interviewer!

We just finished interviewing for a management-level position, and I'm pleased to say that all finalists were female - I'm in IT, which is largely male so this is quite a positive sign.

Each candidate carried a portfolio and a small bag. Things may be different in the nursing profession, but this is what seems to be acceptable in my profession at the management level. HTH.

I know the Coach thing is a sensitive issue here, but I think these two bags could be exactly what you need. I have resumes come across my desk (law, not nursing), and I find both of these to be respectable, professional looking bags. I agree that you should not do logos, and I don't think you should do a hobo, either. The tote is more professional, and it would last you forever.

Attachments

• Hamptons Carryall.jpg
    Hamptons Carryall.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 26
  • Hamptons Satchel.jpg
    Hamptons Satchel.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 30
ETenebris said:
I know the Coach thing is a sensitive issue here, but I think these two bags could be exactly what you need. I have resumes come across my desk (law, not nursing), and I find both of these to be respectable, professional looking bags. I agree that you should not do logos, and I don't think you should do a hobo, either. The tote is more professional, and it would last you forever.

Mmm, I like the business tote in black. And it's the right size...but it's $400. Gotta think about it. If I don't find another one in a week or so I'll get this one.

Thanks!!

ETenebris said:

ET - I like those bags. Are they Coach? I was just planning on buying a briefcase when I started looking for a different job.

ETenebris said:
I recommend a Coach tote of the business variety, preferably a neutral leather color without the logo. You can get one for around $200-$400 that will be very interview appropriate, that says "quality" but not "trendy" or "hugely expensive." You can see all of their available bags at Coach.com. Good luck!

I agree with the Coach also. And it should last you a long time. Plus there is an outlet at Woodburry Commons in NY State (if you live near there).

LMAO :lol: :lol: :lol:

ETnebris - good recommendations! Very pro looking and these are forever bags. I would go with the brown one or the white style in a black or brown/tan color.