H frustration in Italy

I have always been treated superbly in Venice as well. Always offered multiple Kellys and Hacs and Birkins from the back. Lovely staff that doesn't immediately assists and offers to run checks for the back store items.

I hate to say this, but here it is straight up: You're not in Kansas anymore.
$$ talks.... outside of the US/UK world.....u have to tip.

This is NOT a value judgement. I travel, and I respect everyones' everything. Just trying to help.

I live in Italy and I've never come accross this kind of behaviour, I mean having to tip....Yes, in bars and restaurants, but I think that's done everywhere.....Maybe they just do it with tourists??

I have always been treated superbly in Venice as well. Always offered multiple Kellys and Hacs and Birkins from the back. Lovely staff that doesn't immediately assists and offers to run checks for the back store items.

This is great to hear.....do you speak Italian? It was a little chilly shopping in Venice, as opposed to Rome, Florence, or even Milan.....if you have any advice, please share with us......wisdom does :upsidedown:wonders!

I just returned from Italy this past weekend. Visited the store in Florence, had no problems with SA. Perhaps just language barrier.

Glad to know your experience was positive. Actually, I did not have any problems with the SAs who helped me in Venice, Florence or Milan (although I did get a snooty Eastern/Central European girl in Rome).

The Japanese SA in Venice was very obliging, and the Swedish SA (Charlotte) in Florence was great as well, as was the lovely African SA in Milan. The problem was that all these SAs seemed pretty junior, without "teeth" (in fact, it was the 3rd day on the job for the African SA in Milan). They all had to ask someone more senior for permission to show me stuff and to allow me to buy bags, which I thought was just ridiculous :wtf: It was the more senior people who were the ones with attitude.

This is great to hear.....do you speak Italian? It was a little chilly shopping in Venice, as opposed to Rome, Florence, or even Milan.....if you have any advice, please share with us......wisdom does :upsidedown:wonders!

I don't speak Italian well at all, just passable tourist type phrases. I was dressed well, but did not have anything Hermes on the times I went into Hermes in Venice and was still treated superbly. I asked if specific things were available and they brought those things plus some others from the back. The SA (French), even offered to hold a HAC for me for a few hours while I decided. I declined the hold offer but left charmed to have had such lovely service.

In Milan I was treated really well too. That day my husband was with me and kissed my forhead then said "get whatever you want baby" before taking our baby off for a gelato to wait for me. Maybe his doing that influenced the SAs, maybe not. Either way they were pretty great but I found Milan to have nothing in stock compared to Florence and Venice as far as desired handbags.

I will say that the way one is dressed vastly affects the service one receives, regardless of whether you are at Hermes or other places. I don't wear "casual wear" like I would here in the states to run to the store for milk. I make more of an effort and of course greeting the staff upon entering the store always seems to help too. But truly, getting a Kelly or Birkin in the color desired is sadly left up to pure luck many times when traveling.

I was talking about this crazy birkin craze with a friend of my husband's. He was fascinated and he told me he would get one for me on his next trip.
I told him it was impossible to buy one so off he went to Italy. He said he went in to the Milan store and told the guy he was not leaving without birkin.....
He gave him $1000 in cash in an envelope and got the bag......
CDL

I was talking about this crazy birkin craze with a friend of my husband's. He was fascinated and he told me he would get one for me on his next trip.
I told him it was impossible to buy one so off he went to Italy. He said he went in to the Milan store and told the guy he was not leaving without birkin.....
CDL

:wtf:

Actually, if you think about it, it would be a small price to pay if it had been some exotic Brikin!

CDL

:sad: So well ... there are all sorts that make the world .... and bet that went into the reseller's mark-up too. No offence, CDL. I love your bags .... but prices ... I wish they were lower, and I would be your greatest fan. :yes::flowers:

I will say that the way one is dressed vastly affects the service one receives, regardless of whether you are at Hermes or other places. I don't wear "casual wear" like I would here in the states to run to the store for milk. I make more of an effort and of course greeting the staff upon entering the store always seems to help too. But truly, getting a Kelly or Birkin in the color desired is sadly left up to pure luck many times when traveling.

I agree. And some blings too will also help. Sad, but true. Shoppers get sized up just about everywhere. Just for first impressions. These days, I can be sighted at my store between school runs. And you can imagine how bad I might look. :shame: I am pretty sure if my store does not know me, and see me in these clothes, anything that I want, is a "sorry, they're sold out".