Travel Cruise in the Bahamas

mm16

Loves her Pug!
Sep 26, 2007
So I am going on a cruise with my brother and 2 more friends to the Bahamas w/ Royal Caribean on the Majesty ship.

I have never been on a cruise. I am so scared that I will get sick and have a miserable time. But I'm hoping for the best...

Anyway, my questions are basically about how to prepare..what I should bring besides the essentials..

Would love to hear anyone's advice in preparing for a cruise and what to bring..

BTW we leave in 14 days!!

why do you think you'll get sick, do you normally get motion sickness?

on big ships you hardly notice you're at sea really unless they hit some rough weather, and that doesn't last long usually.

just remember to bring bikinis, and some formal wear for the dinners.

You will be totally fine on the Majesty ship! I was on a sister-ship, Liberty, last year. The boats are sooooooo big that youll hardly feel any movement at all. As for packing; be sure to bring nice clothes if you plan on eating in the dining room (or pay restaurant) every night (and you'll want to- thats where the best food is). No jeans, no flip flops, etc- you have to look nice if you want to be allowed in. I think that's the biggest thing- making sure you have enough nice outfits to wear at dinner each night. Also, find out how many formal nights there will be and plan accordingly (cocktail dresses are fine- some people go all out w/ ballgowns but a simple LBD is perfect). Have fun!

Other tips are: bring your own shampoo/conditioner (they have it in the bathroom but i never like the ship stuff), medicine (dont want to have to pay for it on the ship), SUNSCREEN (youd be surprised how quickly you can burn in the middle of the ocean), a beach bag that you are ok w/ leaving on the beach unattended while you're all swimming (id advise against anything designer that draws attention), an underwater disposable camera, and ummm i cant think of anything else. you dont have to bring a beach towel b/c the ship will provide you with one. ill post more if I can think of any more essentials.

What spf level would you rec?
Also, I've never been on a boat so I don't know how I will react to the movement..but I will be sure to bring tylenol, dramamine..etc.

Other tips are: bring your own shampoo/conditioner (they have it in the bathroom but i never like the ship stuff), medicine (dont want to have to pay for it on the ship), SUNSCREEN (youd be surprised how quickly you can burn in the middle of the ocean), a beach bag that you are ok w/ leaving on the beach unattended while you're all swimming (id advise against anything designer that draws attention), an underwater disposable camera, and ummm i cant think of anything else. you dont have to bring a beach towel b/c the ship will provide you with one. ill post more if I can think of any more essentials.

These are great ideas! I would reccomend SPF of at least 45, and just to make sure, I'd probably grab some dramamine in case you do feel woozy. I took my first cruise about 5 years ago and I took the dramamine chewable's and they didn't do much for me, and I did not feel well the first night and the next day! I say it's better to have them and not use them than not have them and need them! I reccomend the small dramamine patch that you can wear behind you ear. Def get the underwater disposable camera, or 2 if you think you'll do a lot of water activities. They're very useful, you never really think about needing one until its too late! Bring lots of flip flops, so in case a pair gets wet and you go back to the ship in between excursions, you can change easily, and I'd probably bring at least 2 bathing suits, for the same reason. I'd bring my own beach towel too, it's easier than trying to get one from the ship, esp if you have a day at sea and everyone will be by the pool(s) and wanting a towel! I can't remember exactly, but for some reason, I don't think the ship wanted us to take the towels off of the ship anyways, and we went swimming with stingrays among other things, and wanted our own towels with us. Don't forget sunglasses (my parents did and spent $60 on cheapo ones from the cruise ship!) and if you drink, try to bring your own alcohol (like vodka). I'd contact the company first and ask their rules on this, but my aunt did it w/o a problem, since alcoholic drinks are upwards of $10 and since everything is charged to your room key, you won't know how much you spent until a couple of days into the trip! Have fun on your trip, you will love cruising after this!!

That's so exciting you're going on a cruise! I :heart: cruises!

Most cruise lines won't let you bring your own alcohol; even when you buy liquor at your ports of call, they send the bottles directly to the ship so you don't get them until you're back in port at the end of the cruise.

I agree 100% with the sunscreen! You can get so burnt, even if the sun isn't out, just walking around on deck! I always like to have 4-5 different outfits for each day (maybe a little too much?), but that's just me.

It gets chilly inside of the ship too, so I always bring a cover-up or a wrap.
That's all I can think of right now. Oh and bring cash for your ports of call!

i was just on the majesty going to the bahamas in dec! the bf and i had a great time

the ship had sea sickness pills on board, you can ask for them. not to make you worried, but it got so windy one day during our cruise we had to skip the stop at coco cay and the ship was rocking pretty fiercely.
i agree w/someone's post about bringing toiletries, my bathroom had no shampoo/conditioner at all so be prepared. i think the majesty 3 night itinerary only has 1 formal night so you dont need to pack too much formalwear. i wore a silk cocktail dress and my louboutins =) seems like most people wore similar outfits, some long gowns but def not required.
in addition to a casual beach bag, if you want to bring your nice purses i would say go ahead. i never felt unsafe on the ship and there is an inroom safe where you can keep your passport, wallet etc. bc on the ship you'll only ever need your keycard which doubles as your credit card.
have fun and enjoy! if you have specific questions about this cruise and ship, feel free to PM me =)

A few tips that I can suggest for you and your friends if they have never been on a ship before are to start taking the motion sickness pills the day before you are scheduled to get underway. Trust me on this one.. I am in the Navy and everytime we get a new person they think they will be fine, Most of them are but the few that aren't are miserable. If you start getting sea sick then start to take the medicine it won't do much for you. You need to take it before you go. If after you have been underway for a day or two you feel fine, I would say you are ok to stop taking it.

Also I agree with most everyone about big ships not rocking that much. However if you hit some rough seas you are going to feel it. My ship is just as big if not bigger in length than most cruise ships and we get rocking every now and again. Personally I love it, it puts me right to sleep.

I went to the Bahamas about a year ago and had a great time. Check out the Atlantis they have some cool stuff to see and do. Thier aquarium is Awesome to say the least.

On the beaches they have people selling lounge chairs to use for the day. I think it was only like $5-$10 for the day. They also have guys selling Coconut drinks. He will crack the coconut infront of you and mix your drink right there. I think it was 3 for $10 when you are empty you just go up to him and he will make you another. A little caution to that is they will make them as strong as you tell him to.

Alot of the females on my ship made it a point to hit up the Straw Market. I never went but they came back with lots of shopping bags full of stuff.

Most of all don't forget your camera.

You will have a great time. I am jealous and wish I could go back.

Oh I forgot.....

If you want to sneak Alchol on the boat here is what you do....

Each of you take a big bottle of mouth wash empty it out and put your choice of liquor in it. My friends do this all the time and it saves them a bunch on thier bar tab at the end of the cruise.

I am getting ready to go on a cruise to Hawaii next week and got a prescription for these motion sickness patches called transderm scop. They are supposed to work really well, I think there is a wbsite on them to get more info. It's a 2 week cruise and I dont want to take any chances!! Just my .02 have a great time!

I would see your doctor and have him prescribe you the motion sickness patch. It works wonders and you don't have to worry about forgetting to take a pill.

I went on a cruise with only the chewable tablets, but they didn't do anything and I just felt weird and dehydrated. My cousin-in-law gave me and DH some her her patches and we were fine for the rest of the trip.

Don't take it off until you get home though. I made the mistake of taking of the patch while waiting in line to exit the board. I thought I was going to throw up.

I am getting ready to go on a cruise to Hawaii next week and got a prescription for these motion sickness patches called transderm scop. They are supposed to work really well, I think there is a wbsite on them to get more info. It's a 2 week cruise and I dont want to take any chances!! Just my .02 have a great time!
They work great! I always use them now for roadtrips and plane rides (seasickness is the only motionsicknes I don't get). People are always like why not just take dramamine, bonine, etc? But those drugs make me feel woozy and sick and they don't prevent motion sickness for me AT ALL. Nothing has ever worked for me besides the scopalamine patches.

OMG I am SO jealous!!
I did the Bahamas cruise on the now departed Sovereign of the Seas. It was also my first cruise.
First off, you will LOVE Royal Caribbean. Amazing!

Definitely pack some Dramamine. I wasnt sure how I would react to being on the boat. Sometimes I get motion sickness if i sit in the backseat of a car. But Ive gone sailing and ive never had it. The first night I was on the ship (I missed half my cruise, so my cruise started in the Bahamas), leaving Nassau, I thought i was gonna puke. I took a dramamine, went to bed, and was all better in the am. Try and take it before you actually get on the ship, just as a precautionary measure.

Make sure to pack for the first day your outfit for dinner, bathing suit, shower stuff etc. The rooms are ready by 1, but it can take awhile to get your luggage.

(Are you going to Coco Cay?? My table mates said it was really nice.)

In the Bahamas, defff go to Atlantis. I assume you will be there for the whole day, get a day pass to Atlantis. You can go to Atlantis and look at certain parts of the aquarium, the main lobby, shops etc. But then they have the fun parts roped off to non guest/day pass holders.

Seriously, do EVERYTHING you can. No sleeping!! You are going to have a great time!!