Fusty Musty smell again

vix2000

May 5, 2007
I have read all the threads I can find here on this. I have a mulberry bag in thick hide that has been stored for a while. I decided to get it out and it had a slight fusty smell on the leather. I then spent hours reading everything on here about this. So I thought I would try the soda first. I got a large plastic container and put a layer of soda on the bottom with a couple of paper towels over then the bag. Put on the lid and left for 24 hrs. When I took it out it smelled worse. I assume the soda has drawn the smell to the surface. I then realised I had used soda crystals instead of baking powder. The soda crystals are powder. Firstly I have made a big boo-boo here? The powder coming out of the tub smells extremely fusty. Shall I try again with baking soda? How much do you use and how long do you leave before changing the powder? If it takes a while it could be a costly remedy lol. Any advice gratefully received! Thanks

I have read all the threads I can find here on this. I have a mulberry bag in thick hide that has been stored for a while. I decided to get it out and it had a slight fusty smell on the leather. I then spent hours reading everything on here about this. So I thought I would try the soda first. I got a large plastic container and put a layer of soda on the bottom with a couple of paper towels over then the bag. Put on the lid and left for 24 hrs. When I took it out it smelled worse. I assume the soda has drawn the smell to the surface. I then realised I had used soda crystals instead of baking powder. The soda crystals are powder. Firstly I have made a big boo-boo here? The powder coming out of the tub smells extremely fusty. Shall I try again with baking soda? How much do you use and how long do you leave before changing the powder? If it takes a while it could be a costly remedy lol. Any advice gratefully received! Thanks
The smell could be mold. If you can, put the bag out in sunshine. Sunlight kills mold. Baking soda might help but if the mold is deep in the leather fibers I don't know if it will kill the mold without wetting it. I've never used soda crystals.