Franck Muller Color Dreams vs. Rolex Oyster Perpetual 39 Red Grape, which one?

If you like color the Rolex is a fun color but that size looks almost comically large on you. The FM looks cheap and just silly. Unless you’re buying a truly rare watch in generally it cannot be considered an investment. You will almost always lose money on a resale. If you’re really concerned about recouping your cost down the road it’s better to buy preowned.

If you like color the Rolex is a fun color but that size looks almost comically large on you. The FM looks cheap and just silly. Unless you’re buying a truly rare watch in generally it cannot be considered an investment. You will almost always lose money on a resale. If you’re really concerned about recouping your cost down the road it’s better to buy preowned.

I haven’t tried the Rolex on (that photo isn’t mine). I’m not that concerned about resale value (it’s more my DH’s concern). Both watches are considered entry level watches for their respective brands so I am aware that depreciation will happen either way if I were to sell.

It's all a matter of personal taste I know but if it were my choice I would MOST definitely take the Rolex, the grape dial is so beautiful and the resale value of the Rolex will likely be higher than the Muller (which I am not a fan of). I'm a Rolex girl myself, so I may be a touch biased...
Have you considered the Cartier Ballon Bleu?
Cartier Ballon Bleu is not in the same ballpark for quality as the 2 watches under consideration. It is not as good a timepiece.

My thoughts exactly regarding size and looks of both watches.

No offense, but that FM watch is almost cartoonish looking. It looks like a kiddie watch or something I'd see in a kindergarten classroom. It's not something you'd be able to wear with everything either. I'd go with the Rolex, and I'm not really a fan of the red grape either, but it definitely looks much, much better than the FM. Your current Chanel watch is beautiful though.

Reactions: missie1
No offense, but that FM watch is almost cartoonish looking. It looks like a kiddie watch or something I'd see in a kindergarten classroom. It's not something you'd be able to wear with everything either. I'd go with the Rolex, and I'm not really a fan of the red grape either, but it definitely looks much, much better than the FM. Your current Chanel watch is beautiful though.

Lol I do notice FM Color Dreams is a watch ppl either love or hate!

Why don’t you like the grape dial on the Rolex?

About two years ago, I started to get more interested in watches in general and in luxury mid-sized automatic watches in particular. I sold my smaller sized quartz watches and bought a Chanel J12 365 in black with beige gold, and a Rolex Yacht Master 37mm. I’m now thinking about getting my 3rd automatic watch and I’m having a hard time choosing one. Initially, I had my eye on Franck Muller Cintree Curvex 5850 Color Dreams, I even tried it on at NM and my SA offered a discount that is slightly over 10% off ($8000). The watch is comfortable on my wrist and I do like the case shape and the colorful markers. Definitely a signature style by FM. But DH is right that FM is probably not a good investment piece, it may look dated down the road and I’ll get tired of it soon. I do think it’s a bit overpriced for what it is, even with the discount my SA offered. Then I saw a Rolex Oyster Perpetual 39 with that pretty Red Grape dial! I haven’t tried the OP 39 in person so I dunno if I can rock that size, since both my Chanel j12 and my Rolex YM is about 36.5-37 mm. DH thinks I can rock it coz my wrist isn’t that tiny, and as a Rolex, the OP 39 is a pretty good price ($5700). I know that these two are very different watches and I do like both. But if you can only pick one, which would you choose given what I already have?

Me trying on the FM Color Dreams with blue strap (if I get this watch I may want the orange strap instead, I think that burnt orange shown in the next photo is more versatile)
View attachment 4147491
View attachment 4147493

I haven’t tried this Rolex but found a lady on IG who’s rocking it! I like this Rolex for its clean lines, simplicity but not boring at all with the grape dial and red marker! I also think that I’d probably get more use out of it than the FM watch.
View attachment 4147500
View attachment 4147504

And these are the two babies I have now!
View attachment 4147506
View attachment 4147507

I prefer the watches that you already have to the ones you’re considering.

Reactions: hikarupanda
Reactions: Miss Happy
hikarupanda,

Thanks for updating us on your decision. The la Californienne watches look fun!

I would enjoy seeing what your new watch looks like, if you decide to share photos.

Yea I’ve seen laCalifornienne watches at Barneys and The Webster b4, and I found out that I can come up with my own design and order directly from the company! I’ve been having some back and forth with the owner refining my specific customizations! Now I just need to wait 4-6 weeks for the watch to arrive!

Reactions: Miss Happy