First time Birkin buyer - telephone

In my first purchase of a Birkin which I got recently, my friend placed the order for me so this is possible. I was going to have DH fly over there and get a fun museum weekend out of the deal, but it worked out that my friend was going to be there.

friend buying on behalf of friend can always be explained as buying "gift" for a loved one or others.

i failed to see why FSH will stop that. however, if your friend is already buying one for him/herself and wishes to buy another one, then i think it really depends on his/her interaction with the SA as most stores (not just FSH) will assess whether your friend is buying for personal use, or planning to resell (hence the rule of one bag per person).

As with most H "rules," this is often at the discretion of the sales or the store manager.

Lastly, from personal experience, it is more difficult to establish relationship with FSH as they have dedicated dept sales staff for each dept, staff turnover there is high, as well as the high tourist traffic they have. So I would recommend working with other stores if you want to buy from Europe directly in the future.

even with established relationship with SA, my understanding is that store policy will prohibit them from accepting phone orders for birkins/kellys.

Good luck!

Is it possible someone can recommend a nice SA in Paris will able to do charge send for small item like belt? Thank you in advance.

I think for most SAs in Paris, they will only do a charge send for customers whom they know and are familiar with. From personal experience, it took a few buying trips in person at the store with the same SA, before a charge send option was offered.

And like the others have said, it's nearly impossible at FSH because there are just too many SAs in too many departments.

As with most H "rules," this is often at the discretion of the sales or the store manager.

even with established relationship with SA, my understanding is that store policy will prohibit them from accepting phone orders for birkins/kellys.

Well said Hanyeu, and this ties in with my experience, no matter how well you know your SA at FSH, they will not take orders for birkins / kellys. However you're right about them being able to be flexible about other rules, like the number of bags one buys, or discussing availability on the phone...

Tustin, did your friend explain when she placed your order that the order was placed for someone else? If yes, it was lucky they took the order. They do not usually. If she only placed it and where they require details she put down yours without explaining that she was not the person whose details were down, that s a different issue... At least, that s my experience with FSH

I think for most SAs in Paris, they will only do a charge send for customers whom they know and are familiar with. From personal experience, it took a few buying trips in person at the store with the same SA, before a charge send option was offered.

And like the others have said, it's nearly impossible at FSH because there are just too many SAs in too many departments.

Thank you for the information

NatalyaN - My friend was very specific that it was for me, not her. Plus, I had discussed this with an SA over the phone first as I would not have sent her there otherwise on her holiday. It was an imposition to ask her to take time from her holiday. Perhaps, I got lucky but the SA was very specific that only orders could be taken at that time.

Tustin: this is very interesting news! I might try it with a friend going to Paris this summer - maybe that time my friend had a stroppy SA helping her. I assume your friend didnt have a Power of Attorney with her? (my friend was asked for one in order to see the leathers on my behalf)

this is ridiculous! I dont expect the SA would ask for a POA for a bag. The H Store is really crazy in that case. My view is that the SA doesnt believe that your friend is buying on a friend's behalf. I wonder even if your friend could produce the POA, the SA would have said something that 'no we dont do order now, please return in xxx months' or 'ok, we can take your order' but in fact, he or she would just have thrown the 'order' into trash.

btw, NatalyaN, where did you friend encounter this problem? Is it in the FSH? If this is the case, I would prepare a POA for my friend who is going to order a birkin for me.

ps. If you needed for future use, I can let you have some precedents of POA. Just wondering will Paris accept a POA governed by English law?

Last edited:
Thanks Footlocker, I am a solicitor too - have loads (and so is my friend who lost it with this comment). It was FSH and she only asked to see the leathers , she didnt ask to place an order!!! NO idea whether they ll accept one governed by English law - cant see why they shouldnt, it s a validly executde PoA. If they want to be difficult, they can be - they can still refuse. Lets just ignore this incident, but nothing to lose if you have one handy in case anyone asks your friend (best if you specify what your first and second choice of leather, colour etc will be for the bag, and I d get a certified true copy of your passport along, if you can be bothered, since it is one order per passport).

Last edited:
Good point. I should prepare a certified true copy of my passport for my friend to bring along with him. You remind me! Thanks for the reminder.

I should ask my colleague to certify my passport because i cannot certify my own passport....haha....

what a fuss for buying just a bag....it seems that we are torturing ourselves, right?

Hi Footlocker - just a suggestion: because my friend may have encountered a stroppy SA, who could well have been the exception, if I were you, I 'd get all this done but wouldnt volunteer it unless specifically asked when your friend is placing the order. Otherwise we are developing a trend of making it harder to get just a bag. I often feel that the attitude and demands of SAs are random, and I cannot think of anywhere else in the luxury industry where SAs could have been so random towards their clients and got away with it.

Please keep me posted how you get on and good luck. Hope you get your bag soon.