Fakes on this forum?

^^ I dunno if that was in response to my post. I didn't mean offense to anything. :sad:

It's just that I see women walking around the city every minute of the day... lots of the bags they're holding are fake... it's not like I go up to them and say, "Hey you, your bag is fake"... I walk on by... like 99.99% of the other people that see it.

Luna said:
^^ I dunno if that was in response to my post

oh christ, no it wasn't
i guess i was just surprised to see it here, because i've always had the childish notion that everyone on this forum -- given their appreciation of designer (or otherwise) bags -- would own authentic ones
and it was the first time today i ever saw a fake
so i was just wondering what happens then?

Is IS surprising indeed, but she truly may not even know it's not authentic . . . .

SwankyMamaof3 said:
also . . . what would everyone want us to do?
I mean, wouldn't it be a tad controlling for us to forbid anyone to post a photo of their *personal* collection if there's a suspected fake?
We'd NEVER, EVER knowingly permit someone to sell a fake here or spam us, but for us to decide that if you own one you can't post a photo . . . .? especially if it's the only 1 out a "collection" of authentics?

What do you guys think?

I think I'm getting paranoid - like I'm living in Russia and the KGB are watching me! I'm beginning to wonder if it's one of mine (eek!) and in that case I think I wouldn't mind if maybe someone who I've become friends with on the forum maybe called my attention to it. Then I start to wonder if it was anyone who just recently posted their collection on the forum and then I feel bad for them! Whats with all the scrutiny all of a sudden? I say if its in the Marketplace, tell one of the mods and let them handle it. If its just a post of someones collection - let someone who may be on more familiar terms with them PM them. Gosh, this is really getting to not be so much fun anymore. :sad:

SwankyMamaof3 said:
Is IS surprising indeed, but she truly may not even know it's not authentic . . . .

What do you guys think?

It's a tough question, Swanky. On the one hand, if the member doesn't know a bag in her collection is fake, she could be mortified or defensive.

But people here love those collection pics because they believe they are actually viewing the real things, it would be horrible if a member here takes authentication advice about a bag on ebay from someone who owns a fake....and I wouldn't want a pic of a fake bag posted here as being authenticate when it's not, even if it's in a collection with other authentic bags. It's already confusing enough to distinguish between fakes and the real thing. The mods and admins should request the member to remove the fake from her pics, and it should be done in private of course.

In my case I'd definitely want to know if something I posted a picture of was a fake. But as for the person who posted the picture of their collection including the fake - I agree with everyone else who said they may not be aware of it. After all why would you take a picture of a fake bag and put it up among a forum of bag experts?

I think it may be a good idea just to PM that person who owns the fake and then if they want they can explain what happened in their collection thread? Otherwise it's an awful lot of work for the mods to go through all the purses to make sure they're authentic before posting a thread in the showcase thread. That type of scrutiny belongs more to the marketplace.

I say have one of the mods pm her and let her know. I mean really, who would knowingly take a picture of a fake and post it on this forum ??
Ten bucks says she has no idea.

Oh yeah, NO QUESTION if a fake is in the WTS Forum!!!!!

I'm just wondering opinions really. . . we get accused of over-moderating by some people and under-moderating by others. . . .

SwankyMamaof3 said:

I'm just wondering opinions really. . . we get accused of over-moderating by some people and under-moderating by others. . . .
damned if you do , damned if you don't.

I just wanna have fun.....

SwankyMamaof3 said:

You can never please all of the people all of the time. I personally do not like to be micromanaged. I get annoyed when people say stay on topic! I like the discussions. I like it when things go off track. I personally wouldnt be on the forum that much it is was STRICTLY purse talk. I feel like I have made alot of new friends and that is why I keep coming back. I think this forum is new and it will take time to find its own groove. Growing pains.

Selena

I also like topics or posts to take on a conversation feel, it's more natural.
Obviously there's times when people start attacking others or dragging up old crap . . . then I think it's reasonable to respect the original poster of the thread by reminding people to try and get back on track.
I know we can't always please everyone, I've been Moderating another website for several years now, it's just par for the course.
But this is a different kind of website and I like to hear others' opinions.

:amazed: I personally think the person doesn't know it's fake. No one in the right mind will post something fake to show all the "experts". Big chance it's a gift. I think the person will appreciate it if someone let them know personally without them feeling being attacked. Not everybody "experts" in every brands.

I agree & think the person more than likely does not know. I think if the Mods are notified & they talk to the person in private then hopefully the whole thing wont be a problem. If she is one of the regulars than I would imagine she would want to take the pictures off & hopefully that would be the end of it. But maybe this is wishful thinking?