Fakes have ruined the thrill for me

CrazyCool01

May 17, 2015
Hi All,
Just a rant !
I recently went on tripes to few countries and the number of fakes carried by women and also ones sold openly in markets have ruined the bag thrill for me!

I cannot believe I was carrying a brand new authentic Chanel classic flap while a lady in my tour bus carried a 100% fake of same bag ! Plus fakes now openly reviewed and showed on youtube and insta are killing my passion for bags.

Is anyone feeling this way about luxury designer bags too !?

Reactions: S0nia
Counterfeits don't spoil the "pleasure" I receive when I'm carrying the real mc coy
It's unfortunate that fakes are saturating many marketplaces & more unfortunate that people
are buying into thinking that the bag is "real"...

Hi All,
Just a rant !
I recently went on tripes to few countries and the number of fakes carried by women and also ones sold openly in markets have ruined the bag thrill for me!

I cannot believe I was carrying a brand new authentic Chanel classic flap while a lady in my tour bus carried a 100% fake of same bag ! Plus fakes now openly reviewed and showed on youtube and insta are killing my passion for bags.

Is anyone feeling this way about luxury designer bags too !?

Totally second you.
Also makes you wonder about the actual costs of making those bags when convincing fakes can be made so cheaply.
Just saying...
Plus those people totally don't care that you put in the effort to get a real one. If anything, they think you're stupid for wasting money!

Reactions: CrazyCool01
I just came back from Greece and I was surprised with the amount of fake bags I saw people carrying from tourists and locals alike. And also stores selling fake bags, they are openly displayed in front of their stores. Fakes have been around and unfortunately it is what it is. But I get it, a small part of me feels the same way and sometimes think if others think mine are fake too. However, at the end of the day, I know mine are real and I don't let the fakes diminish my enjoyment.

I always find it interesting to actually analyse why fakes/counterfeits, worn by other people, make some who own the genuine thing feel upset. I sometimes feel the same way and have to stop myself and ask why what other people carry/wear impact my own feelings, when they actually have nothing to do with me.

Am I frustrated because I paid 10x what they did, for something that can so easily be copied at a fraction of the price I paid - therefore acknowledging to myself that I have fallen victim to brand marketing by massively overpaying for an item?

Am I angry because I'm no longer part of an exclusive "club", toting about an expensive item that sets me apart from people who cannot afford it because it is a status symbol?

Am I annoyed at oversaturation, because the bag I'd bought was special to me, but seeing it on everybody around me makes me bored and takes away the feeling of special-ness?

Am I worried that others will see my real bag, and instantly dismiss me as having a fake one, purely because so many counterfeit bags are around? And if this is the case, why am I actually worried about this - why do what others think of me specifically bother me in any way, as long as I myself know it's the genuine article?

Or is it really all based on legal/ethical/moral objections?

I'm not in any way supporting fakes or counterfeits, I just find the discussion around it interesting. I do think the conversation around it is almost always very emotionally charged and sometimes I think people hesitate to admit why they actually, genuinely, dislike counterfeits, because it involves admitting some not-very-nice feelings and it generates some cognitive dissonance. I try not to let counterfeits on others affect me - and I've started trying to not "spot" counterfeits, i.e. analysing strangers' bags for clues as to whether they're genuine or not. I've found it never does anybody any good and at the end of the day, what other people are wearing should really have nothing to do with me.

I agree that fakes have been around for ages they were sold discreetly in a corner shop but at the moment they are sold openly and the availability is significantly higher!

I am happy with what I have but for me the feeling of owning a luxury bag is slowly fading away as “fakes” make me feel stupid for owning something that is copied for a fraction of the price

Reactions: S0nia