Ever felt sorry for a SA when you didn't buy?

What a SA thinks of me is really none of my business. So, no. Since I'm not in the habit of being rude or wasting peoples' time I can leave the store with certainty I've nothing to "feel bad" about.

I do think it sounds like you make a lot of assumptions about what someone else is thinking or feeling based on a pretty small sample of evidence (facial expression/body language). But assuming your assumptions are correct, that's really the SA's problem, not yours. If he/she can't handle the heat, then it sounds like a wrong profession.

Also, I hear a bit of over preoccupation with your own appearance. You assume that what you're wearing/how you're dressed has something (anything) to do with expectations you will buy? Perhaps. But OTOH it's a well known fact that wealthy people like to dress down and people who are not "well dressed" can and often do drop just as much money as those who look polished. Most sales people know this, know what to look for in demeanor and dress and are just as likely to predict that you won't purchase anything based on your own behaviors and body language as that you will purchase based on your "perceived" level of wealth.

Although I'm certain it's not intentional at all on your part, the over concern with their "feelings" could come across a little bit condescending. SA's are certainly every bit as competent and able to manage their own expectations as you or me or anyone else. That they have a means of livelihood that relies on performance and commission doesn't change that. As someone else said, a person who gets outwardly disappointed needs to practice "game face".

I just get the impression you're thinking up all sorts of reasons to cause yourself a whole lot of grief over something pretty insignificant. Dress nicely! Shop for handbags! Buy or don't buy. Be the nice person you are and enjoy your life. :smile:

What a SA thinks of me is really none of my business. So, no. Since I'm not in the habit of being rude or wasting peoples' time I can leave the store with certainty I've nothing to "feel bad" about.

I do think it sounds like you make a lot of assumptions about what someone else is thinking or feeling based on a pretty small sample of evidence (facial expression/body language). But assuming your assumptions are correct, that's really the SA's problem, not yours. If he/she can't handle the heat, then it sounds like a wrong profession.

Also, I hear a bit of over preoccupation with your own appearance. You assume that what you're wearing/how you're dressed has something (anything) to do with expectations you will buy? Perhaps. But OTOH it's a well known fact that wealthy people like to dress down and people who are not "well dressed" can and often do drop just as much money as those who look polished. Most sales people know this, know what to look for in demeanor and dress and are just as likely to predict that you won't purchase anything based on your own behaviors and body language as that you will purchase based on your "perceived" level of wealth.

Although I'm certain it's not intentional at all on your part, the over concern with their "feelings" could come across a little bit condescending. SA's are certainly every bit as competent and able to manage their own expectations as you or me or anyone else. That they have a means of livelihood that relies on performance and commission doesn't change that. As someone else said, a person who gets outwardly disappointed needs to practice "game face".

I just get the impression you're thinking up all sorts of reasons to cause yourself a whole lot of grief over something pretty insignificant. Dress nicely! Shop for handbags! Buy or don't buy. Be the nice person you are and enjoy your life. :smile:

While your are certainly entitled to your opinion, it is amazing what reaction a well intentioned post can get from people. I don't make "a lot of assumption based on small evidence". You can tell if someone is happy, sad etc and believe me they looked disappointed.

As for being "over preoccupied with my appearance" it is also not true. I am not superficial and don't see myself as being better than others. I wear a lot of stuff from Walmart and I don't feel superior because now I can afford luxury stuff. I know that really wealthy people tend to dress down, but just read about the experiences of people who notice the difference in treatment when they dress up vs wear regular clothes. And like I said, I just wear put together stuff and wear one designer item in my outfits if any.

And I'm not sure how my concern with their feelings came across as condescending. I in no way see them as inferior to me and just because they work behind a counter and I don't doesn't mean they are those poor miserable little people. All what I wanted to say is that I don't like to hurt people's feelings, I don't understand how that can be condescending. When I encountered this a few times, I thought that maybe the way I dress which is not really dressy, is giving the wrong signals. Is Oprah or ***** going to dress top to bottom in fancy labels? Probably not. But still do you remember the Oprah incident in Switzerland? I'm not sure what she was wearing, but I think in addition to the possible racist reasons, she was wearing non flashy clothes. I feel us regular folks get better treatment when dressed up. I like to look "clean and neat" and believe me what I wear to those high end stores at times is less than $200 total.

As for " think up all sorts of reasons to cause yourself a whole lot of grief over something pretty insignificant" i can't help how I feel. I can't help it. As an adult I learned how to stay in control because not every person you meet is going to be nice to you.

Last edited:
^^^I rest my case.

Seriously, though. I wasn't trying to offend you. And I never called you superficial or said that you think you're better than others. Since that's where your mind immediately went, it seems like you must have a concern about that. You are the one who repeatedly stated in your OP your concerns about carrying a Chanel. So, yeah... it sounded a little bit like a concern about not showing off or giving the wrong impression to the "little people".

I used the word condescending in the context of the possibility that your concerns could be perceived that way and I explained why. I never said you ARE condescending. This was just a "heads up" for you how your good intentions could possibly be (MIS)perceived by others, since you brought it up.

That said, if you'd actually read my post with an open mind you would see all the nice and encouraging things I said to you as well as how I said you should wear your Chanel and be polished and "the nice person that you are" without worry.

My post to you was also perfectly "well intentioned". I gave my honest feedback as a response to a public invitation for opinions.

You do tend to over react, it seems.

The OP has been niggling at me since it was posted.

Yes, of course, I would feel bad, IF I WAS THE ONLY CUSTOMER.

But of course, I'm not, and I've NEVER.EVER.FELT like I was.

No. I don't. They're sales people. They have to know everyone isn't going to buy. And I don't owe them a purchase for getting service. They owe me service to project the brand image and possibly earn a sale.

That being said, I want to move through life treating as I want to be treated. So I don't "waste" their time. If a store is crowded and I'm just casually browsing, I'll defer to other customers who may be ready to buy until I need specific help. And I always offer smiles, and please and thank you. (It kills me how some people are rude and bark requests)

But, bottom line, I don't feel bad if I don't buy. And I would be pretty irritated if a salesperson gives me body language or verbal language expressing their "discontent" with me not buying. That would ensure that when I did come back, I would buy from anyone BUT them.

No. I don't. They're sales people. They have to know everyone isn't going to buy. And I don't owe them a purchase for getting service. They owe me service to project the brand image and possibly earn a sale.

That being said, I want to move through life treating as I want to be treated. So I don't "waste" their time. If a store is crowded and I'm just casually browsing, I'll defer to other customers who may be ready to buy until I need specific help. And I always offer smiles, and please and thank you. (It kills me how some people are rude and bark requests)

But, bottom line, I don't feel bad if I don't buy. And I would be pretty irritated if a salesperson gives me body language or verbal language expressing their "discontent" with me not buying. That would ensure that when I did come back, I would buy from anyone BUT them.

+1
I had a few experiences years ago with sales people doing just that clearly "expressing discontent with me not buying". Those I dont feel sorry for because even if I took a bit of time, I was genuinely interested in buying but the item in person didn't work for me. I ask kindly and thank them for their time. But still they "express" discontent. So I avoid buying from them. The ones I feel bad for are the nice ones who were helpful and were understanding when I told them the item didn't work for me. But I could feel a little unexpressed disappointment.

I only feel bad if it's an item I requested and they had to make many transfer item requests, only to find out I hate it.

But I don't feel guilty for long. It's their job to make a sale, and luckily they don't make me feel bad for not wanting the wrong item. If they do make me feel bad, I never shop with them again.

+1
I had a few experiences years ago with sales people doing just that clearly "expressing discontent with me not buying". Those I dont feel sorry for because even if I took a bit of time, I was genuinely interested in buying but the item in person didn't work for me. I ask kindly and thank them for their time. But still they "express" discontent. So I avoid buying from them. The ones I feel bad for are the nice ones who were helpful and were understanding when I told them the item didn't work for me. But I could feel a little unexpressed disappointment.

+2! It is such a turn off when salespeople express such negativity or even indifference towards a customer. I really wonder what kind of service training they have.

if you are sensitive to such things as the commission of salespeople you could always come into a store and preface your visit by saying "i am just browsing today." that will set a different tone, one w/out expectation of a purchase. i think it hurts them more when you buy and then return, b/c the commission gets taken back from them and their check a few weeks after they already received the money.

This happens to me often, I don't know why. I go to check out the luxury bag section at a department store, casual chic but probably carrying a chanel. I go just to look at the latest. I don't take any time from them or ask for help. But if I reach to check out a bag or two and they help. Once that happens they assume I want to buy. If I leave they look visibly disappointed. I feel so hurt for them and I wonderif I gave the wrong impression, I mean I'm not looking to buy now but I might look at a bag. I don't go in ask to see several bags and take so much of their time then leave. It happened several times that I wonder if I give the wrong impression. I hate hurting people's feelings so now I either make a quick browsing pass in the store or not carry a luxury designer bag. I know this might seem silly to some, I guess I'm overly sensitive. A few weeks ago I wanted to buy a bag from luxury brand X. I did a lot of research on the bag and had every intention to purchase, I just wanted to see it in person. I went with one of my chanels. The kind SA gave us water. Unfortunately the bag didn't look as nice in person. The SA was about to go to get us "a new one". When we told her gently we didn't want it, she understood but was visibly disappointed. I kept reminding myself on my way home that they should know that not every customer will buy and that customers who buy luxury brands generally look put together and might carry their designer bags. What do you think?

When I go into a store just to look, I do so with the agenda that someday I am certain to buy (either because of need or want notwithstanding). Not implying that anyone does that, these days everyone is busy, I don't go in because I have time to waste or because I think they are not serving any customers anyway so they have time for me. If I am not giving them ideas that I am deliberately wasting their time, I think 'looking with the agenda to buy in the near future' should give them hope of that I will be a returning customer. I have very often met with good customer service that actually makes me think of the store when I do need something. SAs cannot be thinking that every customer that walks in will buy something and then begrudge when the customer doesn't. Personally I like to reciprocate good customer service and I will remember to return to the store when I need or want to buy.

No pity from me either. I like getting good service but hate pushy SAs. I have been a SA and I almost never had to push; I concentrated on excellent service. For me, being pushy meant saying something in the lines of "Go on, treat yourself" or "Oh come on, snatch it now or you'll lose sleep over it!" to someone who was 99,9% certain they'd found what they wanted and were ready to buy. I feel really awkward if I have to push people into buying crap they don't need or even want.

When I go to check a bag/anything else out, I say I'm just looking and need time to think. Sometimes great service persuades me to buy there and then, but many times a SA has lost a sale when they've done what they've been taught; push, give counter arguments and push even more. I hate that. It makes me walk out the door quickly and never come back. Some boutique owners have gotten mad when I've said I need time to decide. Those are the ones that disgust me - and I tell everyone I know.

if you are sensitive to such things as the commission of salespeople you could always come into a store and preface your visit by saying "i am just browsing today." that will set a different tone, one w/out expectation of a purchase. i think it hurts them more when you buy and then return, b/c the commission gets taken back from them and their check a few weeks after they already received the money.

This is such great advice!!

This is such great advice!!
Totally agree that this is indeed good advice. It helps to set the tone if you say that you're not ready to buy but if you have questions you'll be sure to flag them down. If they don't get the message to leave you alone from that statement I guess you need a mallet to hit them in the head?:noggin: