“Dream” Come True: Going Bespoke with Atelier Peter Nitz — Instead of Hermes Quota Bag

This bag is so beautiful! I remember seeing the bag on his IG and I've been reading the Peter Nitz thread on here when I saw your post. Thank you for sharing your journey, now I'm falling in love with the shape of the dream bag!

Reactions: etoupebirkin
Beautiful , carry her in good health, I nearly had a bespoke bag made in Paris when I was only 19 by Louis Vuitton, but ended up buying my first Chanel instead-in hindsight I made the wrong choice(it was crocodile ), it I was very young and cannot turn the clock back-I’m also planning my dream bespoke bag ❤️❤️❤️

Beautiful , carry her in good health, I nearly had a bespoke bag made in Paris when I was only 19 by Louis Vuitton, but ended up buying my first Chanel instead-in hindsight I made the wrong choice(it was crocodile ), it I was very young and cannot turn the clock back-I’m also planning my dream bespoke bag ❤️❤️❤️
You won't regret it; it's an incredibly fun process albeit sometimes long...very long. :giggle:

You won't regret it; it's an incredibly fun process albeit sometimes long...very long. :giggle:
I understand long bespoke, many of my clothes are bespoke, I’m have a jacket made atm which is taking several months, my shirts are bespoke, I’ve had jeans, a suit, skirts, boots, shoes etc..don’t worry!
John Lobb boots took several months-even when I was a teenager I had bespoke silk shirts made in Camden Market in London by a lady called Rose Elliott..bedding..
Nothing ever fits me so it’s par for the course.
So waiting for a bag will be the least of my worries!

Waiting for a pedigree kitten is harder as I never know which kittens will be born to the parents..that can be a Long wait lol!xxxxx

Last Spring, I inquired with my Hermes home store (Washington, DC) about a 25cm Retourné Kelly to commemorate a major life accomplishment. Since I am no longer the big spender that I used to be, that bag was never offered. Nor will it be. And that’s OK. :smile:
So, what’s a girl to do?
  1. Pay crazy reseller prices to complete my bag collection; or
  2. Go bespoke.
I chose Option 2.

I have long admired Peter Nitz’s work. He is a self-taught leather worker who clearly loves and is passionate about his work. In his words, “I met an Hermes craftsman in Paris and she showed me how to saddle stitch and edge finish and I got addicted :smile:”.

He since founded his own atelier in Zurich. His designs share a simple, refined, and elegant aesthetic. I’m particularly enamored with his “Dream” bag design. It’s a tote like a Birkin, yet it has a cross-body shoulder strap like a Kelly. It’s easy to use, functional, and holds way more than you think.

I reached out to Peter in late August. The hardest part of the bespoke process was deciding what to commission. With a universe of choices, it’s hard to hone in on what will work best. At first, I had about a half dozen ideas. I knew I wanted to do a matte croc/normal leather combo. Peter sent me some non-exotic leather swatches to review. I fell in love with a Lilac Gray Bull Calf (Clemence) swatch. It is an amazing neutral that has an effervescent quality in the way the color reflects the light. My initial thought was to use a tan/brown for the croc. But then I had an epiphany— Himalaya!!! Since I have a better chance of winning the PowerBall lottery (even though I don’t play) than being offered a Himalayan croc at Hermes, everything clicked into place.

The next morning I reached out to see if Himalaya would work. Peter had the perfect skin to match the Lilac Gray bull calf. He had put this skin aside for himself because he loved the rare lilac-y gray color.

I paid a deposit to begin construction of the bag. Peter sent me pictures of the cutting and stitching progress of the bag as it was being made. I followed his Instagram account (@atelierpeternitz) too for more pictures and videos. Even my DH, who normally does not care about this kind of thing thought that the process was very cool and interesting and the bag would ultimately be a star in my collection.

After Peter conducted a professional photo shoot, the bag (and CITES) was on its way to me. It was in U.S. Customs for a few days; and U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service examined and released the bag back to FedEx for its delivery to my home. I do kind of wonder what they thought when they examined it. But it was carefully repackaged and boxed. I received the bag in the first week in October. It makes me smile every time I look at it.

The cost for the 25cm Dream bag with the croc was not far different than purchasing a normal leather B35 at Hermes.

My Dream Bag incorporates all the reasons why I was drawn to Hermes bags in the first place — and none of the drawbacks:
  • Same leather quality as Hermes
  • Hermes master craftsperson level stitching and construction
  • Usable and functional design
  • Option for repair and/or spa the bag
Peter was a consummate professional to work with from start to finish. The process was seamless, even though he’s in Switzerland and I’m in the U.S.

This will not be my only 25 Dream Bag. It’s a great everyday size that is cross-body, light and easy to wear.

I like that the bag is niche, under the radar, and not worn ad nauseum by “Look at ME!!!! influencers.”

The Himalaya and lilac bull calf is such an elegant combination. It goes with so much of my wardrobe and jewelry collection, especially, my 35th anniversary present, a VCA Magic Alhambra 16 motif.

I wholeheartedly recommend reaching out to Peter if you are frustrated with the Hermes bag chase. The Dream bag is aptly named.

Here are some pics of the finished bag. Some shots are outtakes from a professional photo shoot that Peter held. My next post will show bag in progress development.

View attachment 5636932

View attachment 5636934

View attachment 5636938

View attachment 5636939

View attachment 5636940

View attachment 5636941

View attachment 5636942
Wow! This is gorgeous! I've recently discovered Peter Nitz and I'm curious if you can share the price range (albeit that it can range widely depending on the leather selection, etc). thank you ~

Reactions: etoupebirkin