Dooney rehab thread

I've never had this happen and my guess would be the lining bled onto the leather when you got the bag wet. I've never had even color transfer from a Dooney red lining,
but with highly saturated colors like red, it's always a possibility.

I'm not a rehab expert, but hopefull someone else will chime in with ideas. Sorry this happened to your beautiful handbag. I love the Dooney animal patterns.
I also think it was the beautiful but dangerous red lining, although there is a strange blue stain! I tried to get it out with alcohol and it was worse... now my 10-year-old daughter is very happy to have inherited her mom's damaged "cow bag"

I also think it was the beautiful but dangerous red lining, although there is a strange blue stain! I tried to get it out with alcohol and it was worse... now my 10-year-old daughter is very happy to have inherited her mom's damaged "cow bag"
Any dark or saturated color lining is a risk in a handbag that has lighter color leather or fabric exterior. I know that darker color linings show less dirt and look good longer, but
I can't understand why so many manufacturers use dark fabric linings in their handbags.

The Dooney red cotton lining is a sturdy, high quality fabric.... but it's red. I much prefer
the older Dooney woven linings that were 'woven' and either tan/beige or red/beige.
These linings were also high quality and thick fabric, but much lighter in color.... so it was
easier to see what was inside and no risk of color transfer from the lining onto the leather
or the contents of your handbag. Of course, with a light color lining the risk is that
dirt or coor transfers from your contents onto the lining. I guess there is no perfect answer. I use either pouches or an organizer in many of my handbags.... it keeps the
handbag interior clean. But.... the pouches or organizers do add weight to the carry.

I hope you find some way to remove the stains from your handbag. When you do try
products.... use a Qtip, so as to minimize any damage or spread of color. Also, test
on the least obvious area, just to be sure it doesn't make anything worse. Good luck.

Reactions: klaudiSan
I revived a vintage Essex bag (picked up at a local thrift) and the leather was so brittle the Dooney hang tag tore after a few uses of the bag. Thankfully I noticed it was torn before it fell off in a parking lot somewhere and got lost. a

Does anyone have suggestions on where to find a replacement leather loop? I could use the old one as a pattern, but not quite sure where to buy a tiny scrap of thin leather. Shoe repair shop perhaps?
buy a low price bag at a thrift store and use it as a sacrificial leather source.

Any ideas how I can repair this D&B canvas coated fabric handbag? Thanks so much!
View attachment 5777354
I have incredible luck with super glue. I would take some tweezers and gently slide a tiny patch behind the crack. You might have to pull the coating off the fabric behind it to slip the patch in. With a toothpick, hold the crack open and put a tiny drop of super glue (using another toothpick, not the glue's dropper) in the opening and press down with a clean end of a new toothpick. Just a suggestion. I mostly repair shoes.

I'm new to rehab-ing purses and in need of help! I purchased a second-hand All Weather Essex bag, which has an off color patch in the front-right side (see photos). I'm not sure if it's a stain of some sort (maybe oil?) or the color wore down or something else...

I've already cleaned, conditioned, and polished the purse.

I fell in love with this bag but feel at a loss since it is near perfection except for this one flaw.

What should I do to fix this patch? View attachment 5582092View attachment 5582093
it looks like a oil based stain. PLEASE DON'T DO WHAT I'M SUGGESTING ON THIS BAG! Practice on another bag in a less conspicuous place. my go to chemical for removing oil based stains is Lestoil. I might try and use a q-tip with lestoil on it to clean a tiny spot. OR i use nail polish remover on all my D&B bags and it takes of any paint smudges I make when I'm changing the color with Angelus Leather paints. You could also just paint the entire front lower area with Angelus but you'll have to find out what color that is first.

Not a full rehab, but I have two barely used Emerson Shannon totes. They're clean, but could use some conditioning. Google isn't turning up care directions for me. I'm thinking Apple, just wanted to check if anyone has experience or recommendations. Thanks!
those are beautiful. How can you tell if they're leather or vinyl? I just bought an East West Shopper and I can't tell what the body is made of.

Hi y’all. New to dooney and made my first purchase. The bag is new but a bit misshapen. Any suggestions as to get the original shape or will it happen naturally? Florentine domed buckle satchel in fern

IMG_2322.png

IMG_2323.png

IMG_2324.png

IMG_2325.png

Hi y’all. New to dooney and made my first purchase. The bag is new but a bit misshapen. Any suggestions as to get the original shape or will it happen naturally? Florentine domed buckle satchel in fern
Beautiful bag. I would stuff it with rolled towels and see if it regains it's shape in a few days. If you just bought it directly from Dooney and it arrived misshapen, you could try customer service to see if they can exchange it.

Reactions: mushroomNgrass
Beautiful bag. I would stuff it with rolled towels and see if it regains its shape in a few days. If you just bought it directly from Dooney and it arrived misshapen, you could try customer service to see if they can exchange it.
Thank you. I purchased pre owned nwt. I didn’t see this color on the website. I would have liked some accessories to match.

Yes , I think when I tried to clean it the leather bled into the fabric ?
that's possible.

can you pull the inside lining out of the bag? if so, put a towel underneath the lining, and take a *soft bristle brush with some Dawn soap and lightly scrub those spots. then i'd let it sit for a bit. after i'd take a wet washcloth and blot the spots to see if they came out.

*because of the canvas material, i'd suggest a soft bristle brush. the nylon brushes can pull at the nap of the canvas material.

Reactions: Fancyfree
I inherited this bag from my mom. It was her every day work bag. There were several ink stains on the interior and one on the outside. The piping around the zipper is worn and so were the handles.

Much of the brass was tarnished. All of the leather was dry to the touch.

Figuring I had nothing to lose and wanting to experiment:

I dunked a bag in warm water, used hand soap from the dollar tree ("lucky" the ones with the fish in the clear bottle) with a toothbrush and dish brush. Then I let it dry overnight in the shower with a big hunk of styrofoam inside to keep the shape. I let the handles hang from the shower caddy. In the morning while everything was still damp, I applied a liberal amount of aquaphor all over, by applying little dots and then rubbing it in very well in small sections, covering the whole bag. I let it sit and dry in the morning sun.

I'm pleased with the results. So was mom, she was blown away by how the bag was refreshed.

Why Aquaphor? it's cheap, I have plenty, and don't mind doing a warm water wipe and reapplication later. I don't think the aquaphor rejuvenation will last forever but it's miles ahead of where it was yesterday.

The photos make the saturated parts look darker, in real life it's not noticeable.

Attachments

• IMG_20231227_135330.jpg
    IMG_20231227_135330.jpg
    289.7 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_20231227_135327.jpg
    IMG_20231227_135327.jpg
    297.9 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_20231227_135310.jpg
    IMG_20231227_135310.jpg
    291.5 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_20231227_135307.jpg
    IMG_20231227_135307.jpg