Dooney rehab thread

So it sounds like the consensus among people here is not to dunk an AWL bag. I just picked up an AWL equestrian, but it smells like mothballs or some kind of horrible cleaner. (I don't want to even think about what it smelled like before they used the cleaner.) People here have said that dunking ruined the shape. I was wondering if there were other side effects to dunking AWL. Thanks for any info!

So it sounds like the consensus among people here is not to dunk an AWL bag. I just picked up an AWL equestrian, but it smells like mothballs or some kind of horrible cleaner. (I don't want to even think about what it smelled like before they used the cleaner.) People here have said that dunking ruined the shape. I was wondering if there were other side effects to dunking AWL. Thanks for any info!
I am not a rehab expert.... but Dooney AWL leather is water resistant because it is shrunken to
tighten the pores. I don't know if dunking will provide the in-depth cleaning you are looking for.
And I have no idea what it will do to the construction or shape.

I would guess that odors were absorbed thru the interior, which on original AWL bags is primarily
the unlined suede underside of the leather. I'd focus on the interior. Clean the interior as well
as possible....vacuum, brush, spot clean, damp soapy microfiber cloth (don't use too much soap or it will be very hard to remove. Leave the bag open, in well ventilated (preferably outside) area, after it's dry, stuff with coffee beans, baking soda, charcoal packets. Repeat as needed. Good luck.

Smells are a challenge. But, if they were introduced after the bag was manufactured, then you
have a good chance of resolving the problem. Smells that come from the tanning or
dyeing process are often permanent. But I think that is much less likely with an AWL bag.

I am not a rehab expert.... but Dooney AWL leather is water resistant because it is shrunken to
tighten the pores. I don't know if dunking will provide the in-depth cleaning you are looking for.
And I have no idea what it will do to the construction or shape.

I would guess that odors were absorbed thru the interior, which on original AWL bags is primarily
the unlined suede underside of the leather. I'd focus on the interior. Clean the interior as well
as possible....vacuum, brush, spot clean, damp soapy microfiber cloth (don't use too much soap or it will be very hard to remove. Leave the bag open, in well ventilated (preferably outside) area, after it's dry, stuff with coffee beans, baking soda, charcoal packets. Repeat as needed. Good luck.

Smells are a challenge. But, if they were introduced after the bag was manufactured, then you
have a good chance of resolving the problem. Smells that come from the tanning or
dyeing process are often permanent. But I think that is much less likely with an AWL bag.
Thanks for the information about the interior. You gave me hope that I will be able to beat the smell! Because I really love this bag, but I don't want it to give me any headaches literally.

Thanks for the information about the interior. You gave me hope that I will be able to beat the smell! Because I really love this bag, but I don't want it to give me any headaches literally.
There is a Febreze Free that doesn't add any scent but may help to remove odors. It is alcohol based, I think. I have sprayed it inside bags but usually I dunk them afterwards.

Hello rehabbers! I just purchased this bag on Posh and need some advice. The leather is EXTREMELY dry. Like feels like paper. I think someone put it through the washing machine but never put any leather conditioner on after and it just dried out and shriveled up. My question is- should I dunk to open up the pores and rehydrate, or should I just keep putting on thick coats of CPR followed up with leather honey or blackrocks? I believe it is florentine leather, but if anyone knows for sure please let me know. I may cross post in the Coach rehab thread just to get more eyeballs on this and more opinions.

Attachments

• 20210226_165308_HDR.jpg
    20210226_165308_HDR.jpg
    113.9 KB · Views: 29
  • 20210226_165317_HDR.jpg
    20210226_165317_HDR.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 29
  • 20210226_165359_HDR.jpg
    20210226_165359_HDR.jpg
    114.6 KB · Views: 28
  • 20210226_165439_HDR.jpg
    20210226_165439_HDR.jpg
    118.2 KB · Views: 24
Reactions: Jacynthe

I have dunked an AWL bag. It didn't hurt it, and the interior was cleaner, but it really didn't help much either. I feel like I could have ended up with the same result without dunking. If it smelled bad I may be more inclined to dunk to get rid of the odor, but as always your results may vary and dunk at your own risk.

Reactions: Jacynthe
There is a Febreze Free that doesn't add any scent but may help to remove odors. It is alcohol based, I think. I have sprayed it inside bags but usually I dunk them afterwards.
I have dunked an AWL bag. It didn't hurt it, and the interior was cleaner, but it really didn't help much either. I feel like I could have ended up with the same result without dunking. If it smelled bad I may be more inclined to dunk to get rid of the odor, but as always your results may vary and dunk at your own risk.
I don't think I will try dunking. (I have not actually dunked a bag. I think I will save that honor for my first vintage Coach bag.) I think I can get rid of the smell using everyone's suggestions. Already the smell has dissipated a bit while sitting in the sun.

Reactions: Jacynthe and pammbw
I'm needing help figuring out what the color name for this bag is. I purchased it secondhand so I have no clue what it is. I'm going to order a leather touch up pen but I don't know what color it is so they can get me the correct color. TIA!

20200723_190325.jpg20200723_190852.jpg

• Love
Reactions: fendifemale
The Dooney duck gold logo patch is from the Dillen pebbled leather collection.
Color appears to be one of the dark blues..... navy or midnight.
Dooney generally uses one or the other name in different collections to
describe what we would call navy blue.
Or is the color a dark purple???? Hard to tell from the picture....
Let us know so we can help you pin down the color name.

The Dooney duck gold logo patch is from the Dillen pebbled leather collection.
Color appears to be one of the dark blues..... navy or midnight.
Dooney generally uses one or the other name in different collections to
describe what we would call navy blue.
Or is the color a dark purple???? Hard to tell from the picture....
Let us know so we can help you pin down the color name.
Thank you for getting back to me! I was thinking it was pebbled leather! I just took her outside and she appears to be a dark brown. With a purple sorta undertone if that makes sense, lol.

Thank you for getting back to me! I was thinking it was pebbled leather! I just took her outside and she appears to be a dark brown. With a purple sorta undertone if that makes sense, lol.
I don't recall the names Dooney used for brown bags in that collection.... could be T'moro brown
(that was used around that time for a very dark, almost black brown) in other collections.
Chestnut is lighter and has more red undertones. Chocolate seems to be a more recent name.

Could the color be a very deep purple eggplant like color? Dooney had a color called
aubergine which was a dark purple with black undertones. They have also had dark purples
called plum and plum wine.

Steph: Over the years, Dooney has done a range of shades they call Bordeaux..... sometimes a very
deep wine, sometimes more mid tone but it has brown undertones. It seems to vary,
based on the leather and in the case of some leathers (like Florentine) on the dye lot.

Depending upon the lighting, different colors can look very similar. In natural light you can
see the difference in the undertones and the colors, but in interior of florescent lighting,
colors can look the same.

What I don't know is, if over time, depending upon wear,
exposure to light or sunlight, and maybe even cleaning/treatment, if some colors change/soften/fade.
It's never happened to me, but everyone cares for their bags differently, and stores them
differently.

Reactions: Steph_86
I see what you're saying about the Bordeaux. Unless it's the resolution of the photos it seems to vary widely. Some seems more wine colored and others brown. I need to do more research on the purple tones DB has used.

I have noticed that the edging on the straps and zipper pulls are red toned and I'm not seeing this so far in my searches. Then again, I'm not as familiar with DB as I am Coach, so it could be that color of edging was mainly used during this bags heyday.

Reactions: Raech
I see what you're saying about the Bordeaux. Unless it's the resolution of the photos it seems to vary widely. Some seems more wine colored and others brown. I need to do more research on the purple tones DB has used.

I have noticed that the edging on the straps and zipper pulls are red toned and I'm not seeing this so far in my searches. Then again, I'm not as familiar with DB as I am Coach, so it could be that color of edging was mainly used during this bags heyday.
Dooney often uses a red or bordeaux colored edging on straps, zip pulls, etc.... no matter
what color the bag itself. So, don't let the edging color factor too much in trying to figure out
the bag color.

Reactions: Steph_86
That makes sense! I do really like the color of the edging on this bag although it's starting to crack. Hopefully it'll hold up.

While digging through the internet I stumbled upon the bag below on Ebay. I'm pretty sure it's the same color as mine, but everything in the description just says brown. Did Dooney have a color just called brown?