51290693_286143535352151_2786678182982451200_n.jpg

50847838_595860560859929_3786924256030359552_n.jpg
Lovely!

Reactions: kithrobyn
I have a new project.

52358902_384967285414898_7128812354560589824_n.jpg

The corners look like this:

52337816_2702700889770664_4690518133100773376_n.jpg

Anyone fix something similar or have suggestions? I know the color itself is a problem, but so is the texture.

That area is pretty smooth and no longer matches the texture of the rest of the bag. I've been having some crazy ideas like laying in a coat of leather cement, finding something with a similar texture and stamping it into the leather cement while it is tacky and then letting it dry.

Reactions: bellebellebelle19
I have a new project.

The corners look like this:

Anyone fix something similar or have suggestions? I know the color itself is a problem, but so is the texture.

That area is pretty smooth and no longer matches the texture of the rest of the bag. I've been having some crazy ideas like laying in a coat of leather cement, finding something with a similar texture and stamping it into the leather cement while it is tacky and then letting it dry.

I think that's an interesting idea, but challenging. Maybe test it on a different bag first to see how it works.

I would just dab a tiny bit of Leather CPR onto the corners with a sponge and let it soak in. (You could add a little fabric paint or Meltonian shoe cream to the conditioner for color, but then you have to worry about matching it.)

When the CPR dries, I'd use a very light coat of Blackrock all over the bag (remember to wipe off the excess with a paper towel.)

I think that's an interesting idea, but challenging. Maybe test it on a different bag first to see how it works.

I would just dab a tiny bit of Leather CPR onto the corners with a sponge and let it soak in. (You could add a little fabric paint or Meltonian shoe cream to the conditioner for color, but then you have to worry about matching it.)

When the CPR dries, I'd use a very light coat of Blackrock all over the bag (remember to wipe off the excess with a paper towel.)
Check out what I found

https://www.tandyleather.com/en/product/m884-craftool-matting-stamp

It's a stamp that makes a texture on leather that looks like pebbled leather.

I also found a tool for applying edge kote evenly.

I second shoe cream. I have heard good things about Meltonian but I have had excellent results with Saphir shoe cream. It comes in dozens of colors and provides very good coverage. They even have a shade that matches Dooney's taupe, so you might want to give their Navy blue (or is this bag black?) a try. It is available at Amazon. I plan to get the dark green and navy shades to touch up my Teton drawstring.

Reactions: Catbird9
I second shoe cream. I have heard good things about Meltonian but I have had excellent results with Saphir shoe cream. It comes in dozens of colors and provides very good coverage. They even have a shade that matches Dooney's taupe, so you might want to give their Navy blue (or is this bag black?) a try. It is available at Amazon. I plan to get the dark green and navy shades to touch up my Teton drawstring.
Which of the Saphir's do you use? There seems to be several different formulations. Thank you

I have it in my cart :smile: Does the color rub off? And is it okay for AWL? I'm just curious about the practicalities of using this to cover the whole purse.
I personally cannot recommend you use it all over. Shoe cream from my experience is best applied on faded/mismatched areas only. That is is why I love the Saphir: tons of colors so you can match it up with surrounding area and blend it in. I imagine you might have to touch up the area from time to time. I just know with my taupe bag the spot still looks good and did not rub off and the awl absorbed it beautifully.

I have it in my cart :smile: Does the color rub off? And is it okay for AWL? I'm just curious about the practicalities of using this to cover the whole purse.
I wouldn't use a shoe cream in any color all over any handbag. Chances are you will get color transfer onto your clothing when you use the handbag. No matter how much you buff and polish, there will be some area that has a smidge left and it will come back to haunt you.

I tried shoe cream on a wallet. Big mistake. I was never able to use the wallet again. Every time I picked it up I found a trace of color on my hands. And I buffed that wallet at least a dozen times before using it and let the shoe cream absorb for weeks. But I was still afraid the wallet would ruin my handbags and other accessories.

I personally cannot recommend you use it all over. Shoe cream from my experience is best applied on faded/mismatched areas only. That is is why I love the Saphir: tons of colors so you can match it up with surrounding area and blend it in. I imagine you might have to touch up the area from time to time. I just know with my taupe bag the spot still looks good and did not rub off and the awl absorbed it beautifully.
I wouldn't use a shoe cream in any color all over any handbag. Chances are you will get color transfer onto your clothing when you use the handbag. No matter how much you buff and polish, there will be some area that has a smidge left and it will come back to haunt you.

I tried shoe cream on a wallet. Big mistake. I was never able to use the wallet again. Every time I picked it up I found a trace of color on my hands. And I buffed that wallet at least a dozen times before using it and let the shoe cream absorb for weeks. But I was still afraid the wallet would ruin my handbags and other accessories.
Agree. While I think Saphir is better than your average shoe cream and it absorbs really well (it has a beeswax base with other plant oils in it) but I covered up a dime-sized. I would only use Saphir on the very worn spots that went white.

Agree. While I think Saphir is better than your average shoe cream and it absorbs really well (it has a beeswax base with other plant oils in it) but I covered up a dime-sized. I would only use Saphir on the very worn spots that went white.
That was exactly what I was trying to figure out. I had always heard about not using it on a purse because of color transfer. I was trying to figure out the difference I guess between being able to use it on a small spot and the whole purse. I was so not clear in my question, lol.

Thanks, guys. I appreciate your responses. I'll update as I make progress. My Saphir shipped this morning so hopefully in a couple of days it should be here.