Does Hermes change resin color over the years?

winter0531

O.G.
Jun 15, 2008
Hi dear tpfers,

I was helping my mom taking photos of her Etain Birkin today and just noticed the resin on her Etain is brown. It’s different from my Picotin and Birkin, both in Etain. The resins on mine are both black, the ones on my moms is brown. My mom’s Birkin was from 2012, both my Etain bags were from 2016.

Also, I was having lunch with my friends the other day and 2 of the girls were carrying a gold picotin and a gold lindy. the resin on one is a lighter reddish brown, the other one is like a dark brown.

Just curious but I thought the resin color should be standard on each color leather. Correct me if I am wrong.

Hi dear tpfers,

I was helping my mom taking photos of her Etain Birkin today and just noticed the resin on her Etain is brown. It’s different from my Picotin and Birkin, both in Etain. The resins on mine are both black, the ones on my moms is brown. My mom’s Birkin was from 2012, both my Etain bags were from 2016.

Also, I was having lunch with my friends the other day and 2 of the girls were carrying a gold picotin and a gold lindy. the resin on one is a lighter reddish brown, the other one is like a dark brown.

Just curious but I thought the resin color should be standard on each color leather. Correct me if I am wrong.
There is no standard color for the edge coating if that is what you are referring to.

Reactions: winter0531
Hi dear tpfers,

There is no standard color for the edge coating if that is what you are referring to.
Resin colours are standardised (and have always been) and are based mainly on the colour of the leather. Nonetheless, there have been anomalies and changes to resin colours. I’ve written on this subject here.

In your case, the resin colour for Étain did change (for the most part) around 2016. In the other example you mentioned, the resin colour for Gold has appeared both dark brown and medium brown over the years.;)

Resin colours are standardised (and have always been) and are based mainly on the colour of the leather. Nonetheless, there have been anomalies and changes to resin colours. I’ve written on this subject here.

In your case, the resin colour for Étain did change (for the most part) around 2016. In the other example you mentioned, the resin colour for Gold has appeared both dark brown and medium brown over the years.;)
thank you for your excellent link

• Love
Reactions: r luvs h
Yes, I meant the edge coating color for each leather color. For example, light grey for craie, black for nata and Gris T etc.

Thank you for clarifying and sharing the link.

• Love
Reactions: r luvs h

I'm amazed at the knowledge you have about Hermes , the stitching and edge coating etc!