Does anyone regret not having a shoulder strap on their Birkin

No not really anymore. I used to really regret it in the beginning. Especially when I had my B40s (now sold because they were way to big).

Now I just switch from my B35s to one of the K28s if I feel I need a shoulder bag. I feel they kind of fit the same amount since I don't carry that much anyway. And if I feel I need a little more space I usually take one of my Pochette Accessoires with a long shoulder strap and have it under my jacket or blazer so it doesn't look crazy with two shoulder strap bags

• Love
Reactions: 880
I
I don’t want a Birkin to say I have a Birkin. I want one because I think it’s beautiful. I have no intention of adding a strap, I don’t want to ruin the aesthetic of the bag. I was asking if carrying one after only using shoulder bags was an adjustment anyone was able to overcome.

As for the Evelyn I really don’t care for them. I appreciate the suggestion though. Just not anything I would want.

I appreciate everyone’s response and if anyone else wants to chime in on the adjustment I’d love to hear it.
I prefer a shoulder strap when I’m carrying extras and need both hands free. I didn’t find it difficult to adjust to a Birkin just focused on what I carried inside of it versus what I might need to carry in my hands (think coffee/tea, newspaper, shopping bags, a child’s hand).
I could still place a hand through both handles to free it but found this worked best for B30 or smaller as anything heavier got pretty cumbersome.
Interestingly enough, this past season was filled with new straps of different lengths and widths, which have been scarce in prior seasons, so Hermes is aware that they are desired.

• Love
I
I don’t want a Birkin to say I have a Birkin. I want one because I think it’s beautiful. I have no intention of adding a strap, I don’t want to ruin the aesthetic of the bag. I was asking if carrying one after only using shoulder bags was an adjustment anyone was able to overcome.

As for the Evelyn I really don’t care for them. I appreciate the suggestion though. Just not anything I would want.

I appreciate everyone’s response and if anyone else wants to chime in on the adjustment I’d love to hear it.
I prefer a shoulder strap when I’m carrying extras and need both hands free. I didn’t find it difficult to adjust to a Birkin just focused on what I carried inside of it versus what I might need to carry in my hands (think coffee/tea, newspaper, shopping bags, a child’s hand).
I could still place a hand through both handles to free it but found this worked best for B30 or smaller as anything heavier got pretty cumbersome.
Interestingly enough, this past season was filled with new straps of different lengths and widths, which have been scarce in prior seasons, so Hermes is aware that they are desired.

I LOVE Birkin, but as of yet I can’t bring myself to spend that much on a bag. However, I’m sure I’ll be ready in a year or two. Right now I only carry shoulder bags. I’m wondering if the hand option would end up being a regret for me. I know Kelly has a strap but I don’t care for them, especially because I don’t like top handles with shoulder straps. Plus they look too formal for my lifestyle.

Has anyone gone from being a strictly shoulder bag carrier to hand held in Birkin specifically? How was the adjustmen?

thanks
I’ve converted to mostly shoulder strap bags (chanel, kelly, etc) to mostly birkins (I have 6 now) and never looked back!

I was always a shoulder bag carrier until I bought a Goyard Bellechase Bouard (sp) that I always wear on my arm, even though it's possible to use my shoulder. I really had no adjustment issues at all, and I use it a lot as a day bag. When I got my BK30, there was absolutely no struggle especially since I don't use it on a daily basis. Good luck in your journey!

• Love
Appreciate the feedback. Still undecided. But I figure I can sell it if it doesn’t work. None of their other bags except the Constance appeal to me. Undecided on that one because of the obvious logo. The earliest I would get one is June. Birthday present. I need a justification to spend that much money on a bag.

Appreciate the feedback. Still undecided. But I figure I can sell it if it doesn’t work. None of their other bags except the Constance appeal to me. Undecided on that one because of the obvious logo. The earliest I would get one is June. Birthday present. I need a justification to spend that much money on a bag.
If you are undecided, don’t buy one. Or buy from a reseller thst takes returns. They are not the easiest bags to resell (I always consign bc I don’t want the hassle or responsibility).

The MoMA exhibit "Items" a couple of years ago featured a Birkin that was described as the first one owned by Jane herself (loaned by Catherine B, who says on her website she acquired it in 2000.)

I can't read the plaque text in the photo but it looks like the same bag in the current V&A "Bags" exhibit.

It has a strap.

The MoMA exhibit "Items" a couple of years ago featured a Birkin that was described as the first one owned by Jane herself (loaned by Catherine B, who says on her website she acquired it in 2000.)

I can't read the plaque text in the photo but it looks like the same bag in the current V&A "Bags" exhibit.

It has a strap.
My DH brought me a ticket months back to see this exhibition-sadly due to lockdown I'm waiting for tickets for a new date-but now I know Jane's original bag is in it I'm more excited than ever!

My DH brought me a ticket months back to see this exhibition-sadly due to lockdown I'm waiting for tickets for a new date-but now I know Jane's original bag is in it I'm more excited than ever!
Same! We had tickets for January that were moved to April, I’m not sure on the latest developments if that’s going to be ok or not (although I suspect not) but I can’t wait to go!

Reactions: maxroxxherhandbags
I know this thread is a bit old... But may I ask how everyone manages to wash their hands when carrying Bs in restrooms? Say on the days that I am alone and do not have someone to help carry the bag outside. Is there perhaps a trick or strap out there that I haven't discovered yet? Thank you very much!

Last edited:
Reactions: september1985
I know this thread is a bit old... But may I ask how everyone manages to wash their hands when carrying Bs in restrooms? Say on the days that I am alone and do not have someone to help carry the bag outside. Is there perhaps a trick or strap out there that I haven't discovered yet? Thank you very much!

No I don’t think there is a trick :sweatdrop: you just have to find a place for the bag temporarily (which may be very difficult depending on the restroom conditions). I do carry a bag hook, and if there is someplace I can use the hook & my bag isn’t big and heavy (normally not an issue since my Bs are 25s) I use it to hang my bag for a bit (though I’ve not really done this in a restroom).

• Love
Reactions: KittyCattt