Does A Fashion Fragrance Have An Edge Over Others ?

Personally, I don't think so. I have fairly obscure scents also and get the as many compliments on those (one of my biggest attention getters is Kai & Fragonard Vanille) as I do well known fragrances. I love it when people ask me what I'm wearing. :yes:

I think quality plays a key. I look for fragrances that are more oil based. So even if it is a designer -if their fragrance doesn't last then I'm not shelling out my dollars. Plus private labels such as: Victoria's Secret, Body Shop, Henri Bendel, Jo Malone, Avon, Mary Kay, Gap, all give designers a run for their money. They get just as many FiFi nominations as big power houses such as Oscar de la Renta, Gucci, and YSL. Also the perfumiers that only create fragrance/cosmetics and not clothing such as Davidoff, Estee Lauder, Origins, Clinique, Prescriptives, Trish McEvoy, and Mat all have a loyal following too.

I think in the end, word of mouth (and the scent!) is more important than who made it! What gets the buzz is what draws people in, I'm not a fan of Thierry Mugler's fashions but I love Angel! I have to admit for myself if the bottle isn't pretty I'm less likely to buy as well.

I think in the end, the fragrance speaks for itself! If it smells good, I'll buy it regardless of whether it is a fashion name. Although i do think that fashion houses may have an edge in giving updates to their classic fragrances and/or launching multiple fragrances; also they often do things like introducing limited edition bottles etc... they just make so many things out of essentially one scent, all marketing tools that help them sell more bottles i guess

i usually prefer obscure, non-fashion scents because i don't want to smell my perfume on anyone else! sorta like i don't want to walk into a party carrying the same bag as someone.

Not for me.

I love fashion and am often semi-seduced by a new perfume, in a pretty or innovative bottle. But then I remember that perfumes have to suit the wearer's skin type and body chemistry and I generally back off!

Most perfumes don't suit me and most of the time, I don't wear them; I have the type of skin/body chemistry that seems to turn most perfumes sour!!! :wtf: :yucky:

The most flattering scent on me, is one I first discovered as a teenager - Giorgio, Beverley Hills.

It's not fashionable, it's probably not even considered a 'classic', it's not in a pretty bottle (quite the reverse, IMO) and I think I've even heard it described as naff(!); but it suits my body chemistry, seems to drive men wild(!) ;) :roflmfao: and most importantly, doesn't turn sour on my skin.