Do Parisians wear Hermes?

Most of what I saw on the streets was Longchamp nylon totes, by women of all ages. Most birkins and kellys looked to be carried by tourists, but I didn't go to all the arrondissements, and I assumed they were tourists because they were standing in line with me at the museums or shopping in FSH!

Back to Paris, I've been there during different times of the year, and mostly outside touristic places. I used to stay in Neuilly-sur-Seine, but that's not a good place to base our fashion opinion on Parisians! Too fancy to be real! Wonderfully dressed people, all the time, but not the average! I think that, on average, Parisians dress up to their taste... the thing is, they usually have a great taste! Wearing scarves is too common to be noticed for! The same goes for Kelly and kelly-like handbags! Women over 30 mostly. Under 30 the most seen is LV speedys and those Longchamps! Not many Birkins either! And young people are genuinly eccletic! You may see a girl dressed from head to toe (if the toe is not peeping! :P) with designer clothes, but wearing a flee market bag. They mix Zara with Dior, or Prada with H&M and no-name-accessories! That's a way of thinking... and I don't think they treat their Hermès scarf any different than they treat their flee market scarf. It's not that they don't appreciate their H, it's just the way they are!! That said, there are obviously young people who obsess over H as much as we do, but they're just not the average!

This is what I :heart: about Parisians.

Oh just remembered another Parisian tidbit:

One late night I was on the metro with DH, and a couple of girls got on right next to us. Really young, tousled long-haired things, rocking a messy chic look. Both girls were super slim, dark eyeliner, no other makeup. Converse type sneakers, I believe. Anyway, I saw one of the girls carry a SUPER beat up black bag... the bag was literally falling apart! I looked again and realized it was a birkin!

I admit I stared at the girl trying to figure out: who would trash a birkin so? Then I realized the girl was Lou Doillon, Jane Birkin's daughter! Ha ha, like mother like daughter right? Wonder if it was mum's bag or her own?

I really like Lou Doillon. Am still figuring myself on how to work out that messy chic look.

When I was in Paris, I saw a lot of kellys on Parisians and birkins on tourists.

Last edited:
Reactions: cap4life
Here's a Parisian who blogs about fashion and travels and food:

attachment.php

I've posted him before. He's a fan of Hermès. He knows me because I have the hots for most of his male friends. lol

Attachments

• img_5433.jpg
    img_5433.jpg
    117.6 KB · Views: 2,289
Last edited:
Reactions: lulilu
When I was in Paris last summer I stayed at my friend's place in 16e. In the mornings I would leisurely spend time sipping a cafe au lait at a cafe on Victor Hugo. My first morning, I was stunned to see within 1 hour, SIX ladies toting a Hermes bag. They were all Birkins and interestingly most were 30cms, not 35. Obviously it depends on the neighbourhood where you see it, this area is very exclusive so you wouldn't see it as often in other neighbourhoods.

Reactions: Gwapa30
Hmm, it sounds as if Parisians prefer the Kelly to the Birkin by a wide margin! Why is that? Is it because the Kelly is more classic and the Birkin too casual? Too recognizable?