Diamond Studs

OP: If you happily wear your CZ studs daily, and wish to get the real deal in a similar or slightly small size for budgetary reasons, that sounds like a really worthy birthday gift to yourself. They'll outlast an LV, for sure. If you'd like some input on stones let me know. You can do it "piecemeal" or preset, and I can point you in the direction of some great vendors to get a pair to blow your mind--you'll see the difference for sure. There ARE some CZs that are cut like diamonds and tinted to be more realistic, though the refractive indexes are different so there are visible differences, most notably when turned upside down, as stated above.

Just a thought... One way to tell if studs are real or not is to look at the back, and also at the setting. Real diamonds do not generally have the backs that CZs have (they often have screw or la pousette backs), and on large stones, often have more than 4 prongs. Or the prongs are designed in such a way (split) to add extra security. You could buy high-quality loose CZs in the stone shape you love, then have your jeweler set them in authentic 18kt or platinum settings. Then your earrings are "real" jewelry, but you've saved a ton. Then use what you saved to take yourself on a wonderful adventure.

I made travel-safe copies of my real stones in this way, and mostly now, the real stones just relax in the safe. Do whatever will make your heart sing.
Depends where you get them.

Thanks for your input, Ame! I'm glad to hear you find smaller studs perfectly acceptable. :smile: I actually don't want larger ones anyway, even if they were in my budget. I'm glad to hear the smaller ones look good too. I have seen your advice on color, etc. in other threads so I am definitely keeping that in mind. And I KNOW I don't have high-quality CZs by any means, so I'll go this weekend and check out some diamond ones in person and check the difference. Thanks everybody for the insight!

Worth it really depends on you. If this is what you want to buy to commemorate you bday and you think they will always make you happy, go for it. As for cost, you don't have to go for D-F color, you could take a small hit there and save some money.

The studs that mean the most to me are tiny 1/4 ctw princess cut studs my mom got me for my 21st. I later bought myself 1 ctw princess cut studs that I barely wear anymore because my metal allergy has decided they are the enemy and causes me discomfort when I leave them in for more than two hours. Which killed my goal to eventually buy a carat for each ear because it isn't worth it if I can't wear them.

Worth it really depends on you. If this is what you want to buy to commemorate you bday and you think they will always make you happy, go for it. As for cost, you don't have to go for D-F color, you could take a small hit there and save some money.

The studs that mean the most to me are tiny 1/4 ctw princess cut studs my mom got me for my 21st. I later bought myself 1 ctw princess cut studs that I barely wear anymore because my metal allergy has decided they are the enemy and causes me discomfort when I leave them in for more than two hours. Which killed my goal to eventually buy a carat for each ear because it isn't worth it if I can't wear them.

How awful! Sorry to hear you can't wear them anymore. There's nothing worse than an uncomfortable earring.

Reactions: prepster

Get those suckers reset! There's probably something that will work for you to prevent a reaction.

Reactions: BBC
Since you wear your cz studs every day I bet upgrading to diamonds will make you very happy. :smile:

I had 1ctw studs from my parents and never wore them until I had them reset in halos. Hello! I started wearing them every day! Next I had a new pair of earrings made with some diamonds pulled from an old ring. And now I wear pretty much exclusively the halos or the new set every. single. day.

I'm hard on handbags and shoes so I keep them inexpensive but I *adore* my sparkles.

Yes, definitely. I originally planned to get larger diamond studs but after thinking about it realized smaller would work better for me. I ended up with 0.80 tcw set in platinum. I have sensitive ears and small lobes. Absolutely love them! They so lightweight I never have to take them off. I sleep, shower, go to the gym with them in. The only downside is that I never wear most of my other earrings! Good luck with your decision!

Buy what you really want, and don't settle. Small diamonds are going to look like small diamonds, there's no way around that, which is what I think kkfiregirl was advising. If that's a look that you love, and will wear a lot, great! Then you'll love them and it will be money well spent. If after you buy them, you'll feel like you spent all your (jewelry) savings money but are settling, then that wouldn't be the best use of your funds. In that case, it might be better to keep saving until you can afford bigger or better stones. Another $5,000 can make a significant difference in what you can buy. I tend to look for the win/win, and a compromise might be buying some high quality CZs now and continuing to save. But it sounds to me like you really want diamonds and you really want them now, so go try on some earrings in different sizes/cuts/color/clarity within your price range and pick the ones you love. Have fun! Happy Birthday!

Last edited:
Someone suggested CZ set in gold. I have these 3 ctw CZ set in 14k 3 prong tulip settings. They were purchased from QVC but they're no longer available.

I find them a bit too large so I usually wear my .6 ctw diamonds.

Just thought I'd share. Sorry i can't get good closeup photos.

f355c5e35802ed54cb34ad3b67c2de35.jpg

b9474c2b5fd1b35af3f1b9337a8b34ad.jpg

65a32dd19238c06bb514448f6d3a3de1.jpg

I am not sure if it is because I have thick lobes, but I have lost countless post back earrings and diamond studs that I never buy them anymore! My mother has the same problem. We only buy screw back posts now, so keep that in mind when you buy...