Diamond specs questions---which is "better"?

^absolutely!!!!
Ask to see the cert:yes: Very cut is ideal or excellent at least.
I'd ask for copies of the certs, tell them there's one more you want to compare them to ;) Then come back here and let us help! LOL!

^ that's not necessarily true though

In my experience, Tiffany's has never displayed or sold a poor quality diamond. I own several of their pieces, including a complete diamonds by the yard set, and have never been disappointed in the quality. Yes, you need to check the certs. But, the actual cut of the diamond can make a huge difference in how it sparkles. And let's face it. I'd rather have a diamond that looks gorgeous to the naked eye (and is of good quality) than one that is technically "better" but not cut well to shine!

Eponine03

In my experience, Tiffany's has never displayed or sold a poor quality diamond. I own several of their pieces, including a complete diamonds by the yard set, and have never been disappointed in the quality. Yes, you need to check the certs. But, the actual cut of the diamond can make a huge difference in how it sparkles. And let's face it. I'd rather have a diamond that looks gorgeous to the naked eye (and is of good quality) than one that is technically "better" but not cut well to shine!

Eponine03

I think what Swanky was saying is that while Tiffany diamonds are beautiful and are hig quality, there are other stones (branded and non-branded) that look just as beautiful. I can attest to this, as my non-branded diamond sparkles wonderfully and was 1/3 the price of what it would have cost at Tiffany (we bought from a wholesaler).

:yes:
I'd never say Tiffany's didn't sell spectacular stones. :nogood:
But I know for 100% sure that other stores can obtain or have equally spectacular stones w/o the premium of a blue box, that's all.
I'm saying that *IMO* they don't sparkle more than any other brand.
They may sparkle more than most of the ones a normal jeweler stocks, but any jeweler can carry Tiffany's same quality:yes: and it'll sparkle as much as the ones T sells.

They sparkle more than any other brand.

^^^ I think Tiffany's lighting is better, and that makes their stones sparkle more! When I wear my non-Tiffany diamonds in there, especially after they've just been cleaned, they sparkle like in no other place!

Going back to the point about specs. Ok, assuming that they are both equal cuts (excellent or above), is there a big visible difference between a colorless diamond (D thr' F) vs a G or H.

Do you think I can significantly increase the carat weight by doing something like a G/H in VVS or above?

Reason I ask is that in looking at pricescope, I think I can do "better" with size if I sacrifice color/clarity a little...

ie: one post said: "Graff H VS1 2.01 round , no side diamonds, just the round, for $38,000.00 including tax , set in their beautiful simple solitaire" Don't know the exact price of what we've been looking at---but I think around $60-70k? So, with said, feels, like I should be more bang for the buck, even considering the face that the Tiffany's name is a markup in itself, but Graff is very good too!

oh jeez!! $38k is a lot for a 2 carat to be honest, $60-70k is crazy!

if you looked at 2 identically awesome stones - both equal in cut and clarity and size, but one is D and one is H, you could tell a small difference in them IF they are side by side and upside down . . .
the beautiful thing is, that will never happen once you purchase! :biggrin:
Same comparison but in an E compared to an G. . . you may not be able to tell to be honest. And I'd for sure go down to a VS2 since with your eyes and everyone else's, there's no visual difference in claity w/ human eyes between a VVS1 and a VS2.
You can get a perfect cut 3 carat for $40k that HW, Tiffany's or anyone else would gladly put their name on. . .
here's an example
http://www.whiteflash.com/hearts_arrows/A-Cut-Above-H-A-cut-diamond-418637.htm

this stone is equal to a perfect stone or a Hearts on Fire branded stone. HoF would easily ask $40k for this.

Here's an equally amazing stone:
http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/G-VS1-Ideal-Cut-Round-Diamond-966585.asp

If YOU feel better getting a designer stone, then you should totally do it. No one will know but you but it's really peace of mind for some people.

Very very good points Swanky Mama...as usual :tup:

This is all so overwhelming! I came into this thinking I only want "name brand" ring and would sacrifice size for it---I guess for the "peace of mind" like you mentioned. But after reading blogs and websites and seeing friends with bigger and cheaper rings---I'm beginning to be more skeptical!!! The only thing I know for sure right now is that I love those two settings from Tiffs and Cartier and am nervous about finding a suitable local jeweller who can replicate or enhance the design. We thought about custom-designed but are apprenhensive that the final product won't be to our expectations---we are not super creative and I guess it is hard to picture what something looks like with just a drawing?

So if a loose diamond has a GIA report (or equivalent), then essentially it is the same stone sold in a name brand store???? I've heard the name brand store advocates say stuff like "our standards are higher" or that two stones may look different despite their identical grading report b/c one is from designer store and the other is not. Is that just "sales talk"?

With that said---I will venture to the local jewellers to see other options and will be back after this week with more exact specs on these two rings for you experts to help me with!!!

thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So if a loose diamond has a GIA report (or equivalent), then essentially it is the same stone sold in a name brand store????
yes, if ideal cut, yes.
Tiffany and Harry W don't have their own special spot in the earth in which their perfect diamonds are mined. .. it's that they choose only high quality ones from the same miners/brokers that other jewelers may be happy buying great ones, but not near perfect ones.
KWIM?
But any good jeweler can get and is usually more than happy to get any stone of Tiffany's quality in for you when you ask. In fact, most probably have a small amount of them in a safe already, but sometimes in a 2+ carat they may take a day or 2 to order a few in for you.

I've heard the name brand store advocates say stuff like "our standards are higher" or that two stones may look different despite their identical grading report b/c one is from designer store and the other is not. Is that just "sales talk"?
some stores standards are definitely higher than others, this is where Tiffany's or Graff could stand out to people who don't know to ask for better stones from thier own jeweler.
Because if you don't know to ask for better stones and you just judge by what they have in the case, then it appears they have better quality.
But your local jeweler is completely capable of obtaining Tiffany quality stones, just like Tiffany can.

Does any of this make sense?

I agree w/Swanky. You can get a stone equal in quality to Tiffany's and Cartier for a much lower price than what they ask for their rings. Now, if you don't want to do your homework and search for the stone, it's really easy and convenient to walk into those reliable stores and pick up a ring. My ex-fiance bought my ring from Cartier, because I wanted a designer ring, but knowing what I know now, I would just go to a local jeweler and have them find me a stone.
P.S. Cartier does do discounts. My ring was $140,000 and they came down to $114,000. So, I suggest asking for one if you decide to purchase from there.

KT~if possible, could you get us the following information:
table %
depth %
crown angle
pavillion angle
copy of the grading report
This information will help us to help you! I would only consider AGS 0 ideal or GIA excellent cut diamonds. You can also look at HOF to see what superideal hearts and arrows diamonds look like. Enjoy your ring shopping and keep us posted:smile: Swanky picked out some gorgeous rocks for you. Be sure to take a close look at them:drool: The WF ACA is equivalent to a HOF. I should know--I have both...:graucho:

ETA: when you are ready to make a purchase, take the diamond--or two, if you are having trouble choosing--to an independent appraiser. Let the appraiser evaluate the stones and tell you if you are getting what the seller is promising.

You've already heard all the info you need from the pros on here. I'm just chiming in on the setting! Anyway..most people say that a halo makes the diamond look bigger, but personally I feel the opposite. I think it takes away from the center stone. There is almost too much to look at it!

That's just my opinion though, and I do like halos on gemstone rings. So I vote for the Cartier one. Like it has been said, remember that those styles are very common, and if you do go with a non-branded jeweler, they can easily replicate for a much lower price! No one will know its Cartier or Tiffany's except for you!!

I'll jump in with full disclosure here to make a point about "non-branded" stones. DH and I bought my ring in December 2002, which was a bad time for jewelers because of the dot-bomb. So granted we did get a deal. However, I got a J color, VVS1 2.11 carat princess stone in a platinum setting for just under $9K at a jewelry wholesaler.

You've already heard all the info you need from the pros on here. I'm just chiming in on the setting! Anyway..most people say that a halo makes the diamond look bigger, but personally I feel the opposite. I think it takes away from the center stone. There is almost too much to look at it!

That's just my opinion though, and I do like halos on gemstone rings. So I vote for the Cartier one. Like it has been said, remember that those styles are very common, and if you do go with a non-branded jeweler, they can easily replicate for a much lower price! No one will know its Cartier or Tiffany's except for you!!

I agree with you! If you're looking at a .5ct or so center stone, the halo probably does make it look bigger because the stones blend together, but with a 2 ct center, your stone won't need help! It's beautiful (and big!) on its own!

I also think that halos are a bit trendy. They're beautiful, for sure. But a diamond engagement ring - especially at the prices the OP is looking at - should probably be purchased for its value as a future family heirloom. I'm not sure a halo will stand the test of time like the Cartier or a Tiffany solitaire would!

The other thing I would consider if I were purchasing an engagement ring is which wedding band (if any) I would wear with it. I had a really hard time finding a band to compliment my emerald cut solitaire! You might encounter similar problems with the halo. Many designers make a band with a cut-out to fit next to a halo, but it's not a ring you could ever wear just by itself. If you're planning to have kids, etc., there may be times when you want to wear just the band, because your ering might get in the way.

:yahoo:Congrats on the engagement - can't wait to see which ring you choose!