Diamond Gal's need your oppinion

swanky--yes have seen both in person--its a long complicated story but it is the stone I currently have..the EGL and a new one GIA that I am being given a great deal on--I am not exactly paying the 10,500...anyways yes in person its a different deal and while yes my EGL sparkles like crazy...I dont notice a lot of difference in sparkle with the GIA I just can't get past how white it is and by recutting the GIA I can actually make money off the deal for when I upgrade in the future...I eventually would like closer to 3 cts
I know some don't understand upgrading but when dh and I can afford it..I would like my 3 ct stone..:blush:

so you are trading in for the exact same size?

I would walk away from this whole deal and wait for a stone with ideal cut specs. I personally have no issue with EGL-USA certs, but I am definitely in the minority.

Our jeweler is a long time family friend--I have sent him tons of referrels and my parents have spent a ton of money with him like I said the story is complicated but it is legit..
I was finally able to have my mom see both in person and she liked the D better so I ended up going with the D--I just cant get over its look..
Also I should add that my husband even remarked how much more this stone "pops"
Thank you for all your replies!! I guess I was just wondering how many of you would choose cut over color and clarity..
It all sounds a little shady to me. If the dealer could have the GIA stone recut and sold for a much higher profit, why aren't they doing it?

Last edited:
Congratulations on your purchase.

Our jeweler is a long time family friend--I have sent him tons of referrels and my parents have spent a ton of money with him like I said the story is complicated but it is legit..
I was finally able to have my mom see both in person and she liked the D better so I ended up going with the D--I just cant get over its look..
Also I should add that my husband even remarked how much more this stone "pops"
Thank you for all your replies!! I guess I was just wondering how many of you would choose cut over color and clarity..

Congrats!
I think that what you see is what you should go with. I think you should be educated so that you have an idea of what you should be paying and what's what. For example, I'm fine with EGL certs--I'm in the process of buying an EGL-USA graded diamond--but since they grade softer the price had better reflect that. (i.e., an EGL graded 'G' should cost me less than a GIA graded 'G', because the GIA probably would have graded it as an 'H' or even an 'I'). And I don't trust my eyes to tell me the clarity of a diamond. A VS is going to look the same as VVS to my untrained eyes even through a loupe. But I sure don't want to pay VVS prices for a VS so will trust to a lab to tell me. So I want to be educated. But I also want to buy a diamond--not a piece of paper. If buying in person (as opposed to over the internet) I would go with what I liked even if the paper specs weren't perfect.

I was always reading about cut on Pricescope and I know that cut is what makes a diamond sparkle so it IS important. But you know, I have three AGS 000 super ideal cut diamonds ( a ring and two earrings) and while they look great, they are not the only diamonds I see that look great. I compared once with a friend who was stressing out because she had 'only' got a GIA 'very cut' (and they were tellng her on Pricescope that she could have done better. Honestly, I don't think I was noticeably more sparkly. Also, I don't really think that cut makes stones face up any whiter than they are. It makes the stones look sparkly and great. But not whiter. If someone really likes the look of a 'D', I don't think the best-cut G is going to look as white. My super ideal cut earrings are H color. They are much sparklier but no way as white as my F color ring which is an old cut and far from modern 'ideal' (though gorgeous in its own right).
Just some random thoughts. Not meaning to offend anyone. I feel happy the OP got the ring she likes and I'm sure it's beautiful. I hope she posts a pic.

My friend who's a jewelry store owner use to tell me when I get really caught up on cuts, measurements, ratios blah blah blah of diamonds that, "diamonds are like men. 'tall, dark, handsome' on paper might not be great looking to you. sometimes you have to see the stone for its personality and see it in person."