Designer Lighting vs. Big Box Home Improvement

queennadine

loVe
O.G.
Dec 10, 2008
Hi all!

I was wondering if anyone has experience with designer lighting vs. fixtures from Home Depot, Lowe’s, or other websites.

When I say designer lighting I mean Restoration Hardware, Arhaus, Ballard Designs, for example.

Home Depot/Lowe’s/others have very similar looks but I’m wanting to know if the quality is truly different enough to justify the price differences.

I would consider country of manufacture, materials, toxic vs non-toxic parts, etc. when deciding.

Thanks!

I have experience, I work for an interior designer.
I wouldn’t classify RH, Ballard etc... as designer lighting however. They’re middlemen for lighting vendors. Visual Comfort, Hubbarton Forge, Currey & Co, John Richard, etc... would be a few I’d consider “designer” as retailers carry their items.

I have experience, I work for an interior designer.
I wouldn’t classify RH, Ballard etc... as designer lighting however. They’re middlemen for lighting vendors. Visual Comfort, Hubbarton Forge, Currey & Co, John Richard, etc... would be a few I’d consider “designer” as retailers carry their items.

That makes sense, thank you!

In your opinion, are there truly quantifiable differences between higher end designer light fixtures and more common ones?

Reactions: Swanky
That makes sense, thank you!

In your opinion, are there truly quantifiable differences between higher end designer light fixtures and more common ones?

Honestly I'd equate it to choosing a bag! Are designer bags "better"? Some are! For me it depends on the home price and aesthetic sought. If you pay for better fixtures you'll want to make sure you'll get it back out of the eventual sales price.
For example, I wouldn't select a $1500 dining chandelier for a home valued at $250k. KWIM?

I like high and low personally, spending more on the few most important ones and spending less in less used/less important rooms.

Yup, I totally get that! And we understand that resale would involve the fixtures so that’s def. a consideration as well.

I think we’ll probably end up picking out a few higher end, statement fixtures and then keeping it more ‘normal’ elsewhere

Thank you! :smile:

Reactions: Swanky
My personal style is a mix of high and low.

I’ve bought from Home Depot and been very happy, but it wasn’t always easy to get them onto dimmer switches and they were on manual and not the most stylish or energy efficient.

I’ve bought medium quality — lees art studio bf it closed. . . Those were best as one of, stand alone pieces Like floor lamps,

and, I’ve splurged on higher end like artemide, flos, kartell, for living room accents (floor lamps, wall scones) and fancier bed stand lights. Some of the brands are here: https://www.modernchandeliers.eu/lighting-design-the-best-high-end-italian-brands/And, there are designer pieces, like Hermes did desk and floor lamps that are very nice wood ans metal covered in alligator or croc. I forget which.

I would say that with good taste and hard work, one can come up with a really nice lighting scheme without it costing a fortune. But a lot of it may not be integrated and seamless in operation and there will could be some awkwardness in cords and switches.

There can be a big difference in terms of layered lighting effects, energy consumption LED. It’s not just the actual fixtures, it’s also ease of programming (manual switch. iPad or some kind of wall programming. For example, you can have mood lighting for a party programmed in And the design aspect of which lights go where: buried in the ceiling, washing effects on walls etc etc.

We bought a second apartment that is essentially a dream apt for us and we will undergo a year long full gut renovation. So, we hired a lighting designer to do things like wall wash and perimeter light design ( all of which can be an issue if you have ceiling beams) plus fancy stuff on the ceiling (whose height will be lowered to accommodate all this). There will be a few places where there will be a central place for light (an area in front of the fireplace and in the entrance gallery) and some other terms of art that lighting designers do. If you hire someone like this, presumably you will get trade prices. The lighting designer will also provide minimum allowances to your GC to figure into your budget.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Christofle
Visual comfort has some really nice lighting options! I’m definitely a fan of their quality and they have many unique chandelier and sconce options. I think they are definitely worth it as they tend to be a relatively inexpensive way to add finishing touches to a room.

• Love
Reactions: 880