DARCY vs ZIP ZIP

Aug 13, 2014
I got my first Dooney Darcy yesterday. I thought it might be helpful to compare the Darcy to the Zip Zip, since I now own both styles in pebbled leather. I like both handbags and would recommend both of them.

The Darcy and the Zip Zip are very similar, but there are some differences that might make a difference to some ladies.

The Zip Zip has a narrower base (by about an inch) and therefore fits closer to the body if carried on the shoulder. The ZZ comes with only a shoulder length strap which attaches to the handle hardware on the front and back of the bag. The Darcy is boxier, since it has a deeper base. The strap for the Darcy attaches to D rings at the sides of the bag (where the zipper starts/ends) and
the Darcy has a 3 part strap, that can be worn cross body, long shoulder, or with the middle piece of the strap removed as a short shoulder bag. The 3 part strap and the side attachment are
major plusses for the Darcy. (And remember, the trim on the ZZ and the Darcy are both British Tan color, generally, and you can interchange Dooney straps from style to style.)

The ZZ is slightly taller, and slightly longer than the Darcy, but with it's wider base, I think the two bags hold the same amount of stuff. Depending upon what and how you pack your bag, one or the other might seem roomier. If you pack with things vertical, then the extra height on the ZZ might be useful. I load things horizontally, so the wider base on the Darcy has a slight advantage for me in space. But the difference isn't significant and it depends on which small leather goods I am using at the time.

The ZZ has a wider opening, but the Darcy's top zipper opening is not a problem and it's easy to find things inside.

I think the ZZ has a sleeker look than the Darcy. Maybe that's because we see other high end handbag brands with similar domed shaped satchels and therefore our brain registers that look.

For utility, since I hand carry, not shoulder or crossbody carry, I am equally happy with both styles. Color availability and price will determine in which style I add additional colors. I already have a rainbow of ZZ, so either style must off a tempting new color to be added to my collection.

98255E84-A23C-4D36-96CD-4E10F148B172.jpeg Thank you so much for that helpful info LJ! It’s much appreciated. I ordered and received my Darcy in Bubble Gum a couple days ago and am very pleased with her. I agree with everything you mentioned in comparing the two bags. I think I prefer the carry of the zz but the look of the Darcy. I really like the slim profile of the zz. Here’s a pic of the trio I got this week. Oh and please check out my unboxing on my YouTube: Ashley’s Closet. Thanks!!!

View attachment 4730424 Thank you so much for that helpful info LJ! It’s much appreciated. I ordered and received my Darcy in Bubble Gum a couple days ago and am very pleased with her. I agree with everything you mentioned in comparing the two bags. I think I prefer the carry of the zz but the look of the Darcy. I really like the slim profile of the zz. Here’s a pic of the trio I got this week. Oh and please check out my unboxing on my YouTube: Ashley’s Closet. Thanks!!!
Ashley: what a lovely handbag and accessory pairing in bubble gum pink. Love the color and the fact that everything matches so well. Enjoy your new 'collection;. I'll check out your video too.

Reactions: southernbelle82