Custom/duty/import fees from Japan to USA

i order wholesale internationally & when i asked them about the custom duties/ fees and such, they said they will take care of it by stating its a "gift". that way, i wont have to pay anything.

i order wholesale internationally & when i asked them about the custom duties/ fees and such, they said they will take care of it by stating its a "gift". that way, i wont have to pay anything.

Most sellers won't go with that- it's illegal to make a false declaration on a customs form, and both parties can get heavily fined for it.

I don't know what customs fees are going into the US- I mail stuff to my family regularly, but nobody's had to pay yet. I'm honest (ok. Maybe a little undervaluing happens, but nothing unrealistic) and list everything in the box on the forms- if they find you're listing 2 things, but the box has 6, it starts raising red flags all over the place.

Hi I live in Japan and I use Japan Post EMS to mail anything I sell on eBay with the exception of UK there I also offer Registered Mail.

The USA used to have a lovely easy to read page on the Revenue and Border Protection site. But that seems to have vanished.

The amount that is duty free seems to be $200 or thereabouts.

If I post something I need to declare the contents. I write used bag or whatever and the sale price.

In general, the US is relaxed on duty in comparison with other countries.

Anyone who writes down the value, is taking a risk because they are not protected if the item goes missing.

Please bear in mind that Customs can seize and hold items if they are concerned about the value written. To my knowledge, there are now 2 of these relating to the US and there are threads here on the forum. One has been sitting somewhere in Customs for 2 months, another for a couple of weeks. Not a pleasant situation to be in.

US buyers, you are just much safer all round having your value declared for the sale price. It rarely seems to be an issue unless it is a very high value item like meandmylouis was mentioning.

These days, everything goes under an X-ray. So just be prepared for some kind of tax and happy if you don't get taxed.

Last edited:
I've ordered one (used) Chanel from Japan, and didn't pay a penny in customs. Customs had the bag in their possession for about a week if I remember correctly, so they must have checked it out. But then they sent it on to me without charging, so I assume it's a lot of luck, and to a certain extent the amount paid (I paid $500)for the item. The correct amount paid was declared as well.

It's probably also a lot to do with 'what the individual customs officer is like' and/or if they're having a bad day. Then I bet the consumer pays.

i am going to send a used home item to my friend in US. The problem is, its not a gift for her but for her to help me return to merchant for warranty issues. How much should i declare since the UP is $499 but the item is already on the verge of damage. I am worried if i declare $200 or $250, she have to pay tax when this isnt a gift etc too. anyone can advice.

Any site to check on this?

i am going to send a used home item to my friend in US. The problem is, its not a gift for her but for her to help me return to merchant for warranty issues. How much should i declare since the UP is $499 but the item is already on the verge of damage. I am worried if i declare $200 or $250, she have to pay tax when this isnt a gift etc too. anyone can advice.

Any site to check on this?
I think you would mark Returned Merchandise.

I purchased a Hermes birkin from Japan and paid $350 taxes.

I am sure this would have been because the declared value was above the $200 limit for the USA. Being a Hermes Birkin, no doubt it had a very large box (which it would have needed of course), making it much more interesting to check as it rolls down the conveyor belt.

Even though most people have had things go through fully declared with no problem, if an item is very highly valued, there is always the chance that your item will be checked over by the "very thorough" person on shift that day.

Sellers have to insure their items for their and your protection. Sometimes you get taxed highly and sometimes you don't. The seller can't control this.

I completely agree with you. Honestly, I was expecting that I'll be charged a lot more since it was declared full value. I have discussed with the seller before he shipped the purse and to make sure that it's fully insured since it's a high ticket item and don't want to risk or to have any future dilemma. I was so happy when I received my purse on time and no hassle at all.

I am sure this would have been because the declared value was above the $200 limit for the USA. Being a Hermes Birkin, no doubt it had a very large box (which it would have needed of course), making it much more interesting to check as it rolls down the conveyor belt.

Even though most people have had things go through fully declared with no problem, if an item is very highly valued, there is always the chance that your item will be checked over by the "very thorough" person on shift that day.

Sellers have to insure their items for their and your protection. Sometimes you get taxed highly and sometimes you don't. The seller can't control this.

I completely agree with you. Honestly, I was expecting that I'll be charged a lot more since it was declared full value. I have discussed with the seller before he shipped the purse and to make sure that it's fully insured since it's a high ticket item and don't want to risk or to have any future dilemma. I was so happy when I received my purse on time and no hassle at all.

Woo hoo! I hope it was a bargain - it must be gorgeous!!!