Corner wear: what's normal?

I am still using (and loving) my bag but I am not sure I would get another large piece in swift. The feel of the leather is gorgeous but I think it's a bit more fragile around the edges than people may realize...

Thanks for your pix, mrssparkles. Good to know what a spa treatment can do.

Reactions: prepster
I purchased a B35 Black Ardennes last year second hand from a well known reseller. I hadn't used it much during the rainy/cold months but now using it I am seeing wear on the corners and on the vertical piping (not sure if that's the right name). Btw, the wear was not visable when purchased. From reading this thread this appears normal. Do you have any photos or info that can help quell my doubts.

Thanks

Reactions: prepster
In my experience B35s can get scuffed at the corners in any leather. They bump against things. My Clemence B35 had a fair amount of corner wear within a few years. Corner wear in my experience shows up as either a smoothing of grain or, if the top layers of leather rub off, an area of color loss.
One of the issues is that Hermès spa will touch the corners up with colored cream. This makes your bag look better and the wear just looks like a smooth area. But the cream wears off quite quickly. Beware also of resellers who touch up corners right before selling.
I also recommend cleaning your corners as worn areas get dirty and that can make them look much better, and will show you what you are dealing with in terms of color loss. Just DON'T do it to a newly spa'd bag as it will take off the fix.
Oddly my one Swift bag is a Toolbox 26 which bangs into everything and that one has no corner wear at all.

In my experience B35s can get scuffed at the corners in any leather. They bump against things. My Clemence B35 had a fair amount of corner wear within a few years. Corner wear in my experience shows up as either a smoothing of grain or, if the top layers of leather rub off, an area of color loss.
One of the issues is that Hermès spa will touch the corners up with colored cream. This makes your bag look better and the wear just looks like a smooth area. But the cream wears off quite quickly. Beware also of resellers who touch up corners right before selling.
I also recommend cleaning your corners as worn areas get dirty and that can make them look much better, and will show you what you are dealing with in terms of color loss. Just DON'T do it to a newly spa'd bag as it will take off the fix.
Oddly my one Swift bag is a Toolbox 26 which bangs into everything and that one has no corner wear at all.

I think people wear leathers differently. I, for one, love Swift. The corners wear fairly well on my 35 Swift Birkin. I would never get Epsom in a Retourne Kelly or Birkin. You look at the corners and there's color loss. Same goes for Butler and Tadelact--for me, these leathers scratch easily and it does not buff out.

Creme Saphir makes a "recolorant" that is great for a tiny dab on the corner. They also make colored polishes, but the recolorant works better on corners. It may be what Hermes uses in spa treatment. I do my own spa stuff.

Thank you for the information. I really appreciate the insight and advice. :}